What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Too early to plant outdoors?

I'm in a bit of a pickle as I won't be home for about 10 days (starting Saturday) and don't have anyone trustworthy to plant the girls in their outdoor containers. They are screaming for more soil, and I want to get them out ASAP.

Is planting them this week going to be too early? I just don't want to screw up my plants:biggrin:

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If your temps (lows) are in the 50's, the soil is warm enough to plant. There have been times I didn't transplant until solstice (mid June), but then again, autoflowering.

As long as the area is south facing, lows are moderate, you're good to GROW!!!!

Good luck!!

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
Ive got plants outside now. Highs during the day are in the mid-high 60's but nights are as low as 45. The other night I could see my breath. No problems so far.

Mrs.Babba

THE CHIMNEY!!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
We planted ours on Saturday, going to be mild temps all week so they should do really well...so far they are looking happy

Also dependant upon strain. Some strains can cope with cold better than others. I've seen plants get snowed on and still be good to go....

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Its way more about how much light they get then it is about the cold . Ive had plants out in very cold weather and they do fine... the problem here is before May 20 the days are too short and your plants will stymie and throw a few sets of 3 leaves or single leaves trying to figure out if they want to flower or veg, which will slow them down... seeds are just fine earlier ... but clones in far Norcal want to wait till at least May 20th ... full moon was on the 21st so we went for it :) Of course once the ground warms up we will see some fast growth !! good luck!!

squatty

I've had two Copacabana autoflowers out since the first week of May and they're doing fine. I looked at them the other night when it was about 50 degrees out. They looked pretty cold with their thin sativa leaves folded down and in. They still seem to open up and reach for the sun each day!

Noonin NorCal

Veteran
Also depends if its from seed or clones? if its clones id hold off a couple weeks, or transplant give them time till they fill out the new pot then throw em outside. That is unless u have supplemental lights outside if thats the case you have no worries about planting now

huligun

Professor Organic Psychology
Veteran
We are 3 weeks away from the solstice and the longest days of the year will be happening for the next 6 weeks.

Someone said hold off on clones, and I suppose that depends on how far south you are. The length of days grows the further north you go... like in Alaska having midnight sun, where Los Angeles has a lot less. I think in Seattle, and the places of the same latitude, Clones are fine. It takes two weeks to go into flower (dep on strain) and I think we are not at flower lighting in Seattle right now with 15:45 hours of daylight and raising. In Los Angeles it is 14:17 hours.

Here is a useful website from the US Navy that calculates the hours of sunlight for the city you live in: http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/Dur_OneYear.php

And as said, with seeds you have about six weeks of leeway. It may be getting kind of late for seed planting.

Latest posts

Latest posts