What's new

Tomato growers?

Green Squall

It's a groundhog. They can do a lot of damage to your garden so you need to make sure your fence is extra secure. It's actually illegal to trap and relocate them, so they recommend "humanely destroying" the animal. ya.....I'm not going to shoot a damn groundhog even though I hate them.

Mrs.Babba

THE CHIMNEY!!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Early girls are our favorite tomato to grow, lots of nice sized fruit and like a 50 day growing cycle.

RckyMtRdnk

I'm going with some beefsteaks, German Johnson, sweetie cherry and I think a couple super Sioux sprouted too. Probably plant some green and purple tomatillos too. I love fresh tomatoes!

sprinkl

Veteran
Last year our tomatoes got septoria leaf spot bad, only got about 60% of their total crop before it took over and killed all the folliage. This year gonna give them compost tea a few times, and spray them with actinovate as a preventative.

We did San Marzano, Amish Paste and some Hsa shung shi(sp).
Will do the same this year I think.

Compost tea works wonders against rot!

KONY

Veteran
Compost tea works wonders against rot!

It was leaf spot, not rot. The lower leafs start getting black mold looking type spots, and eventually all fall off, then it spreads up the plant.

This year we are completely changing up our soil, in the pest we ammeded old dirt mix (promix, ewc, perlite) with dr earth dry nutes. This year I am adding Kelp and Neem meal and Crab shell, then Basalt, Granite, Gypsum and Oyster shell flour. Also some lobster compost. I have a feeling the vegetables are going to love this.

They did good with the dr earth, but not great. Maybe even very good.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
This year I have brandywine, black krim, beefsteak, and a few different cherry tomatoes above ground on my porch. Have a 100 plants of each. Also 100 of 5 types of peppers, and 100 thyme, basil, nycd plants on the porch too. Looking forward to the biggest garden I have even had of my own. 10 acres of veggies and another 10 of grapes and hops.

Going to be busy the year and couldn't be happier about it!

Great thread, I am going to start at the beginning as I'm sure IC members grow the dankest maters !

Skinny Leaf

Veteran
This year I am tomato plant free in the garden. No stress of having to deal with every issue that crops up with growing tomatoes. It is a constant battle around here. Not having to go vacuum stinkbugs everyday is worth it. Or going out to find every tomato sampled by the birds. Cantaloupes went into the tomato patch instead. Way less hassle.

Hope everyone has a bountiful harvest this season.

Green Squall

This year I am tomato plant free in the garden. No stress of having to deal with every issue that crops up with growing tomatoes. It is a constant battle around here. Not having to go vacuum stinkbugs everyday is worth it. Or going out to find every tomato sampled by the birds. Cantaloupes went into the tomato patch instead. Way less hassle.

Hope everyone has a bountiful harvest this season.

You know what, that's the most sane thing I've heard in a while. I won't be going tomato free, but will definitely be cutting WAY back. Gotta have some tomatoes in the garden!

Oaxaca Vine

As far as the birds go, I read a few years back that birds only screw with tomatoes because they are thirsty. I had my doubts, after all what wouldn't like a juicy tomato? Well, I added a bowl of water near my garden and filled it when I water my plants. I do have a rather small garden and I can not say I didn't have even one peck, but it has helped a bunch.

am,ish paste rocks.thats a great tomato!early girl is bland and watery but early.im growing black cherry tomatoes and blak krim and a host of others.tomatoes are so much more fickle than cannabis.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
As far as the birds go, I read a few years back that birds only screw with tomatoes because they are thirsty. I had my doubts, after all what wouldn't like a juicy tomato? Well, I added a bowl of water near my garden and filled it when I water my plants. I do have a rather small garden and I can not say I didn't have even one peck, but it has helped a bunch.

This is spot on. I used to net my garden and an old timer asked why I didn't have a bird bath in the garden. I didn't even know what to say, why I ask? He says to me, because you wouldn't need that netting if the birds had water around.

I now provide water and bird food. Its attracts birds that eat bugs too :)

The value of knowledge from growers and farmers that have tilled land before me are the ones that get credit for my success!

ShortStackz

This year I have brandywine, black krim, beefsteak, and a few different cherry tomatoes above ground on my porch. Have a 100 plants of each. Also 100 of 5 types of peppers, and 100 thyme, basil, nycd plants on the porch too. Looking forward to the biggest garden I have even had of my own. 10 acres of veggies and another 10 of grapes and hops.

Going to be busy the year and couldn't be happier about it!

Great thread, I am going to start at the beginning as I'm sure IC members grow the dankest maters !

Damn you must some some nice land for all that. :tiphat:

ecr8d

doing black krim and indigo apple varieties this year

Hi..Black Krim is a very good choice. Here are some photos from last year...
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Latest posts

Latest posts