What's new

to use a light mover or not

maryjanesdad

hello people.

been growing for about 6 yrs now, i don't currently have a grow but soon. i have an 10 x 6 room and was thinking of using a light mover for the 75-80 plants i plan to have. but i never used a light mover and wanted to get some feedback on it. The reason i want to use a light mover is to save on electricity but i do'nt want the yield to suffer.

so if anyone has any feedback on light movers, or a comparison of using a light mover to a stationary light please lmk.

i wanted to use (3) 400 or 600w to cover about 75-80 plants....or i can use (1) 1000w on a light mover to cover the plants....:peacock:

paladin420

FACILITATOR
Veteran
We figure a light mover adds 30% to the light coverage. . It's not about the plant count it is more about watts per square foot.

Good luck

maryjanesdad

We figure a light mover adds 30% to the light coverage. . It's not about the plant count it is more about watts per square foot.

Good luck

but wouldnt a stationery 600w hps over say 25 plants be more efficient than a 1000w hps moving along a line of 75 plants??? i mean, the light would be moving, so as it moves along the plants wouldnt the plants be without light for x amount of time?? wouldnt that be a disservice to them? know what i mean?

Phillthy

Seven-Thirty
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i used two 1k on a mover to cover 8 x 10. some of the best pot i have grown came under that mover. light rail 5. the shit just worked and worked well.

BigForest

Exactly !!:thank you:
i used two 1k on a mover to cover 8 x 10. some of the best pot i have grown came under that mover. light rail 5. the shit just worked and worked well.

Attachments

• 2k banger.jpg
    2k banger.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 10

maryjanesdad

thanks guys. I just dont get how if the light isnt over the plants for the 12 hrs the yield wont suffer.

can you use a mover if you have the lights hooked up to a vent to remove the heat?

Hold Your Fire

Finding my way back home
Veteran
Light movers can work, but they cannot make up for an overall lack of light.

Have to have enough lighting, whether it's moving, or stationary.

bad gas

People here on ICMAG report increased yields by using more light sources of smaller wattages. Light movers spread light too "thin".

Light fuels photosynthesis. One old time grower was persuaded to increase his watts per sq. ft. When he did, he saw great improvement in a strain he had grown for years.

Vertical lighting has intrinsic advantages. Check out the vertical forums.

Don't go cheap.

I hope this was illuminating. bg

maryjanesdad

Light movers can work, but they cannot make up for an overall lack of light.

Have to have enough lighting, whether it's moving, or stationary.

i see. my sole reason to use a light mover was to save on electric and reduce heat. i used to have (3) 3 x 3 trays that held 25 small plants with a 400 or 600w light above it. i thought maybe using one 1000w moving across the 3 trays would decrease heat and energy with not too much of the yield suffering....i think i may be incorrect

paladin420

FACILITATOR
Veteran
but wouldnt a stationery 600w hps over say 25 plants be more efficient than a 1000w hps moving along a line of 75 plants??? i mean, the light would be moving, so as it moves along the plants wouldnt the plants be without light for x amount of time?? wouldnt that be a disservice to them? know what i mean?
25 vs 75 grown how? You need At least 1200 watts. A light rail would give u an efect of 1300 watts aprox.

A good rail will hav an adjustable speed, so there is no disservice. It's not like they are in the dark.

Air cooled hoods add to many problems for me. Either bare bulbs or parabolic work best IMHO

maryjanesdad

25 vs 75 grown how? You need At least 1200 watts. A light rail would give u an efect of 1300 watts aprox.

A good rail will hav an adjustable speed, so there is no disservice. It's not like they are in the dark.

Air cooled hoods add to many problems for me. Either bare bulbs or parabolic work best IMHO

my last grow consisted of 3x3 trays using small 6in x 6in pots. i fit 25 pots into the 3x3 tray. i used a 400w hps light with a hortilux bulb over each tray. i did that for years and no problem.

paladin420

FACILITATOR
Veteran
my last grow consisted of 3x3 trays using small 6in x 6in pots. i fit 25 pots into the 3x3 tray. i used a 400w hps light with a hortilux bulb over each tray. i did that for years and no problem.

Then why did you bother us with this thread?

Hav a nice day

maryjanesdad

Then why did you bother us with this thread?

Hav a nice day

us? i been a member here 3 years before you pal so dont get all dickish on me. just because you have 3000 plus posts doesnt mean squat.

if you read the op, you would have known my goal was to save on electric costs

have a crappy day sir.

yerboyblue

My understanding of light movers is that they don't make up for running less lights, but the action of moving the light acts like the sun traveling in the sky. It effectively moves the hot spots from the bulb and reflector along the plant instead of keeping them in one place, increasing light coverage to lateral branches and such. Supposedly it can create a more even canopy profile and more consistent bud quality because of this.

supermanlives

Veteran
i dont like my stuff moving. i got rid of mine and bought more lights.movers work well if you dont expand your area too much. the plants on the edges will yield more generally then stationary.its not a light replacement . it just gives better coverage from diff angles .

supermanlives

Veteran
i had lightrail 3 s and i had problems sleeping when it ran . i just knew murphys law would come to play sooner or later. went back to permanently fixed lights with chains and i now sleep soundly.