What's new

To grind or not to grind

RockyMountainHi

I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with th
Veteran
for vaporizers - grinding gets better results; most my strains are pretty solid buds - the grinder tends to open the dense up, scissors mash everything together.
I was cleaning the goo out of my grinder today and the thought occurred - it might work better frozen with frozen (dry) bud. (put the grinder and bud in the freezer prior to use) - I dunno - I'll test it. Can't believe nobody has tried it - Ice and bubble bags gave me the idea. Yes my grinder has a kief screen - bud needs to be "Overly dry" for best kief results, so kief is not a priority - Oh - and I use a hard car wax on the bottom kief tray.
I have choice of kief - bubble hash, or bud - I usually choose bud
The grinder can get too aggressive.

Grinders suck if there are ANY seeds

but if you have major dank bud - - even dry it sticks to your fingers, scissors, rolling papers - the wall, the carpet, the cat! lol

Ya know - I gotta go freeze my grindr and some bud....

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
i just think, if i want hash i will make hash, if i want to smoke cannabis i will smoke cannabis, just don't see the point of making hash in such an inefficient way. to me those things are toys, nice for a gag, but that's about it. but i will admit that you probably will not notice the difference between a joint made with a grinder with screen or one with out.

the reason i don't like to crumble bud in my fingers is because part of it always ends up sticking to your fingers. i prefer not to touch my bud more then i have to, that's why i like the board and knife, i can get it to just the right consistency, then tip it in my joint never touching it. in fact i hate braking bud with my fingers so much that i always pre roll if i can. another problem with finger crumbling bud, your computer keyboard and mouse suffer the price lol.

TheBudFather

Not everybody can just think 'Oh, i'm going to make Hash'.
With these grinders, you don't need to make hash or even think about it... the grinder is making it for you anyway. NOT loads, but enough for emergency's. This is not inefficiency.

So 'when or if' the day comes & you cannot get some weed, you open your grinder!!!! & thank the Lord for your unplanned Hash night on the bong (It's happened to me loads of times).

If you have a nice large sharks tooth grinder/pollen collector, these things churn your nugs nicely into fluff.. in just 2 or 3 grinds...
When your grinding, the smaller budds start falling into a compartment underneath the grinder, to ensure they are not being ground unnecessary or pulverised whilst you're still grinding the larger nugs!
Eventually ALL the bud you were grinding have made it to the underneath compartment, perfectly 'Churned', very fluffy with minimal damage. It's the way forward!

Like everyone, I have used & mastered, Scissors, fingers, knifes & at times teeth for weed... but nothing compares to my grinder for preparing the cannabis needed for a joint or blunt.... as long as the bud is bone dry, the grinder/pollen collector with its fall through compartment is perfect. Hallelujah! lol

Agreed BudFather. Once I got a good grinder I've never looked back. Used hands and then scissors before I finally caved. The bottom line is that ground bud is a more even consistency than any other way of breaking it up. That means more even burning and fatter rips regardless of whether in a bong or joint. Not to mention it takes two seconds rather than five minutes. Having said that....Never grind your bud until your are preparing to smoke! Let the nugs cure in a jar. Grinding will expose every surface which is good for smoking, but oxidizes and degrades if left for any period of time. And hash making isn't really the point. It's just that those trichs are flying anytime you break bud and the screen is just an easy way to collect them and not lose them all over your fingers and coffee table.

B

Beerdo

yeah the grinder that comes with the volcano works great. I used to cut everything with regular snips but now anything a tad sticky or dense goes straight into the grinder. saves so much time and hassle. I don't find it really effects the taste much at all. Nearly everything put into the vapo comes out tasting great.

I agree with TheBudFather and Dankasaurus. Grinder with a screen/kief chamber is the way to go. Why would anyone want to break up weed with their hands? That'll get your fingers covered in resin. Knife method seems good, but how do you hold the nug while cutting it? With your hand?

I also like a good clean bong rip in order to taste the weed. Joints are nice, but are kind of harsh depending on what paper you use to roll it. Bongs just seem more pure to me.

Gotta stay on that grind! :)

Greyskull

Twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reas
ICMag Donor
Veteran
grinders have a purpose but in my opinion some take it WAY TO FAR

grinding up buds in general, to me, is like taking steak and turning it into hamburger.

thats fine if you feel like having hamburger (ie vaping & smoking Js and blunts). gotta have a nice fine 'cut' to get a nice even burn. totally gotta grind that bud up.

but those that grind up buds only to load a bowl of some sort (bong or pipe.. whatever) are simply taking steak and turning it into hamburger and then viola that hamburger into hamburger steak
WTF???? hahaha

hitting a bowl/bong of grinded pot requires a much different hit technique than a pinched bud bowl/bong.... and hitting the grined up bowl like one would a pinched bowl will reap seriuos stone but less a enjoyable ride to get there & a less flavorful experience. i hate when someone passes me a ground up bowl.... why do you do that?

resin on your fingers? oh geeez hahahaha maybe ive been around too much pot, but i find that funny... kinda like the 'dont touch the buds or they'll lose trichromes' nerves hahaha (i handle the hell out of my plants and theres no loss of anything). but i get it if you are rolling something to smoke... then things can get sticky hehe.

me - fuck, gimme that nug watch me break it off bare handed and light that fucking bong with a bic caveman style hahaha

...Never grind your bud until your are preparing to smoke! Let the nugs cure in a jar. Grinding will expose every surface which is good for smoking, but oxidizes and degrades if left for any period of time.
^^^^aka it (pre grinding) ruins the pot^^^^

Lorenzo

i stopped using a grinder when i noticed the inside of one starting to wear away. i'd rather lose a few trichs than smoke bud with a little metal shards in there.