What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

**to all scrog users**

dbfr3sh

when do u start to cut back the leaves?

i have only about another two weeks before i induce flowering and will be putting up the screeen. i have a limited amount of space and my plants are very bushy. there growing under a mixed spectrum T5HO setup. ive tied my main stem down in order to get my 20(per plant) or so internodes to get to the same height, problem is everytime they get tied down a day goes by and the bigger fan leaves take all the light. i came up with a great idea to tie to leaves together to unblock some of the light to the other branches. it worked for a little while but not so much anymore.

now all the fan leaves i have are still beautiful and as healthy as ever, but with the screen going up in a week and a half, and trying to prepare all the node branches to reach the light, i dont know when to start cutting fan leaves. i dont want to stress these plants out but at the same time leaves that dont produce buds on their nodes MUST GO.

C

CMoon

pictures would be good m8, but id take bottom 3 branches off now. few more next week giving roughly a week to flower, then if theres anything else you wish to remove ime 14/21 days in bloom works well with the least stress( also helps to foiler b1 thrive at this time) ........i know growers who prune longer with great results , so it comes to strain knowledge and grow skills to achive the finer points, good luck with the run

underprune

cmoon

Last edited:

dbfr3sh

this is what they look like. i grow for personal use and have very limited space as im using the t5s. right now i have 20 branches per plant, 5 plants so 100 branches to say the least. i know when i flower all these branches will stretch almost double their size. as you can see some leaves are tied together. less than a month old...only like 7-8in tall and over 11 nodes on main stems.

these pictures dont even include the main stem which is bent over, w/ another 6 branches and more growing.

Last edited:
K

kenned

you shouldn't remove any leaves... only remove them if they dont get any light...!
The plant gets it energy from the plants, so unles it is absolutely important, don't remove them...

tgpfarm

I would have to agree with kenned. I am doing my first grow so take my advice with a grain of salt.

But I heavily trimmed my plant a week into flower, and it seemed to stop all growth except for more leaves. I can now see what people say about trimming. I would only trim the bottoms to allow for air flow and thats it. Bottom 1/3

dbfr3sh

except for the fact is you pretty much have to in a scrog microgrow. i need multiple tops to grow and produce as many budsites as possible and with huge fan leaves in the way is not possible. my internode leaves are getting bigger everyday and produce enough to suppply the plant. alot of people who grow scrog dont get as many budsites because they let internodes get shaded and not grow enough. all my internodes have 4-6 internode branches on themselves already. these 6+ will grow into 6 different budsites instead of a shaded branch with only a top or two stretch to reach the rest but wont produce as many budsites. i thot id be crafty for a little while and tie up fan leaves together to make space, but with everyday getting bigger and taken more and more light away from my precious internodes.

i think ill just try to take 3 off each plant for now and wait til flowers to start taken more leaves off.

B

buzzed day

usally i just put the plant in the scrog,put in 12 and 12 then keep tucking the leaves back though the scrog and that holds them under the screen and retuck branches to.
also you can put in flowering wain't for 2 wks. then put your scrog on and tuck the leaves and evern cut and weave the branches if need be and try to get the top of each branch in a hole because the tops produce better and bigger buds then futher down the branch.i really never cut fan leaves though just tuck.i hope this helped a little.peace
ps.going by those pics. they need to grow and spread out more if your going to do a scrog soon??? you'll need to top them to get them to grow out more.if you put in like that you may get a single cola or bud with a few small ones on the bottom.

Last edited:

dbfr3sh

t5s dont have much light penetration. so they stay really small. these plants are nirvana snow white and they stay small and bushy on there own. when you flower these strains double in size. im just trying to build up some more growth on the internodes before i flower in about two weeks. once i do all the internodes will pop thru the screen, im not worried about the branches making it through the screen as my screen will only be like 6in off the bucket tops.

also i dont want to leave too many leaves on because in mid flower, i was told there shouldnt be leaves or budsites because your at high risk for mold.

like i said im not looking to make money here just for head. they are under 6x4ft lights so i got a grow space of about 2' x 4'. by making as many internodes as i can in the next couple of weeks ill be adding yield.

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
Unless you're growing sativa's, you want to scrog first, flower second. Fill half the screen in veg then flip to 12/12 to fill the rest.

This may be a strain thing as I am growing Sativa's but, my shaded buds are as frosted, if not more so, than the ones in the light. Unless the fan's causing trouble (condensation, mold) I leave it on.

K

kenned

dbfr3sh said:
except for the fact is you pretty much have to in a scrog microgrow. i need multiple tops to grow and produce as many budsites as possible and with huge fan leaves in the way is not possible. my internode leaves are getting bigger everyday and produce enough to suppply the plant. alot of people who grow scrog dont get as many budsites because they let internodes get shaded and not grow enough. all my internodes have 4-6 internode branches on themselves already. these 6+ will grow into 6 different budsites instead of a shaded branch with only a top or two stretch to reach the rest but wont produce as many budsites. i thot id be crafty for a little while and tie up fan leaves together to make space, but with everyday getting bigger and taken more and more light away from my precious internodes.
It is not just "light on internodes make branches grow.." Different hormones probably have more to say than light to the internodes...
That is why the lower branches grow when you top the plant...

C

CMoon

kenned said:
you shouldn't remove any leaves... only remove them if they dont get any light...!
The plant gets it energy from the plants, so unles it is absolutely important, don't remove them...

ah! that old chestnut

Dee9

Sativa scrog

Sativa scrog

I built my first modular scrog for a sativa and took her straight into flower -

she has managed to fill her little screen 90% so far (about 2 weeks into flower) -
boy am I glad I didn't start filling the screen during veg -

but I expected as much - since these girls just stretch too much; unless I veg them only for 2 weeks.

EDIT: I do not remove any leaves.

Last edited:

dbfr3sh

i know that the hormones are the major factor in growing the lower internodes. but if the branches dont get nearly enough light then they wont grow up to the light.

also i dont top as my plants because that takes at least a week off the plant. i dont have that much time and with the lights im using they dont penetrate that well. taking a couple choice leaves off allows other branches to see light for the first time. alot of people i know say to harvest half of the plant first and give the lower set a week to recieve light to finish it.

i dont want to step on anyones toes but my method seems to be working really well, my plant is not stressed and is growing remarkably well everyday.

i dont want to put up the screen until all my branches are already around the same height because if i do it now and my branches double in size during flowering they will outgrow the screen. i want most of the stretch before the screen so i get all the tops around the same height without the plants growing over 3feet wide.

dbfr3sh

yea some good information....(post by texas kid)"Genetic Variance
Cannabis phenotypes play a large part. A strain with very few leaves and long internodes will need a lot less trimming - if a trimming technique is even adopted. A strain with a surplus of leaves and short internodes would require more thinning to get the same amount of light to the lower buds (The Crazy Composer, 13.03.2002). Cannabis varieties from high sunshine equatorial areas like thai sativa have thin leaves most likely due to more light than say a indicia plant from afghan regions have wider fan leaves due to less light intensity in their natural environment (Lebman, 03.20.2002)."

all this person did was steal a bunch of peoples posts.

he goes back and forth with no real answer plus he goes on to say that it wouldnt be considered outdoors because the sade difference wouldnt matter but on a simple t5 indoor setup where light penetration is a big factor in the overall growth of the plant. also growing indoors the plant recieves so much of its food from the roots and if select leaves get pulled it ends up diverting alot of energy to the roots where the nutrients would be found. also he goes on to say in a scrog grow its better to do a little at a time otherwize when air circulation could be a problem taking too many leaves at once would lead to some mould.

other than that thanks for the info.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
I know it's only a quote. I think the part about sink transitions into supply leaves is applicable indoors or out. I guess I could have been a little more specific. other than that, sorry if it didn't help you out.

i have seen many times scrog growing using a plastic netting
i think the squares are about 2 in, and i think i read that they are called chicken wire.

i cant find this net, what is it called and where can i find it
please and thank you

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
Chicken wire is a wire mesh woven into hexagons. Apparently it's "real" name is poultry netting. It and plastic varieties can be found in home improvement stores. Home Depot has it in the fencing section. Garden stores or topiary supply would be another place to look.

Bender

i dont want to put up the screen until all my branches are already around the same height because if i do it now and my branches double in size during flowering they will outgrow the screen. i want most of the stretch before the screen so i get all the tops around the same height without the plants growing over 3feet wide.

To what capacity are you using the screen? When you flip to 12/12 will you continue to bend the stretched nodes back into the screen or are you just going to use the screen to hold your tops in place?

tube dude

If you want to grow a bushy plant you gotta trim some leaves. I start trimming when I start training.I dont have any experiance with t-5's but i do flower with t-8s so I know what you mean about low light penitration. In my experance any leaves that are on the plant when you put it into bloom will need to be rmoved after the stech anyway. I do probably veg a lot longer than most people but I have found tha the bushier the plant is the less it streches. Scrogging is a pain. You can get the same results with LST and it is a lot less trouble.

Latest posts

Latest posts