What's new

TNB Naturals ph Down from Canada

moose eater

Anyone using this product? Especially anyone who is competent and has somewhat of a chemistry background?

Started using this last year, taking a brief break from my citric acid, etc., to adjust solution down to about 6.2 ph.
Slightly less than 1/8 tsp or so drops my untreated, unsoftened well water down to near the desired 6.2 or so.

Got a1-lb. bag of the product in the link last year, but curious regarding any insights or thoughts on the product.

Last edited:

troutman

Seed Whore

moose eater

They are using Hydroxypropane Tricarboxylic Acid in their pH down ingredient.
It's an 100% organic acid. Their MSDS sheet mentions Citric Acid Anhydrous
which is the main ingredient.

Citric acid is also known as 2-Hydroxypropane-1,2,3-tricarboxylic acid.

Citric acid is easy to obtain and may be cheaper than this product so shop around.
Thanks trout, I have a bag or 2 of citric acid from the health food co-op, but this was either cheap or free to me when I picked it up. It looks very much like a finer granulated citric acid. But yes, anything in a hydro store is usually more expensive. Fortunately I didn't have to give any proverbial blood, and the health food co-op here often carries a 1-lb. bag of citric acid for a couple bucks or so.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Different types of pH Down use different acids depending on what phase of growth a plant is in. Phosphoric, sulfuric, nitric, and citric are the acids used in horticulture. Phosphoric acid is mainly used during flowering and nitric acid can be used during the veg stage. These two acids are the main acids used in commercial horticulture. These are the strongest and hold their hydrogen the longest. Most kitchen acids are mild and won't hold their acidic state very long. 😎

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Sulfuric acids are too dangerous for handling especially in the pure anhydrous state. If mixed with water incorrectly it can have an explosive effect. Also, sulfuric acids "can not" be used with fertilizers with calcium because they are not compatible and will clog injectors.

My take on the TNB pH down above is a weak acid in powder form or an anhydrous state. 😎

troutman

Seed Whore
Sulfuric acids are too dangerous for handling especially in the pure anhydrous state. If mixed with water incorrectly it can have an explosive effect. Also, sulfuric acids "can not" be used with fertilizers with calcium because they are not compatible and will clog injectors.

My take on the TNB pH down above is a weak acid in powder form or an anhydrous state. 😎

Always add acids to water and not the other way around.
Sulfuric acid would react with calcium to make gypsum.