What's new

Tips for warehouse renting/growing

MedGuy510

I want to rent a very small warehouse, just big enough to build a couple rooms and do a perpetual grow with 8 lights.

Does anybody have good tips on warehouse/industrial office selection and getting a story together for the landlord? I was thinking I could rent under the guise of media production. Of course I want a single-story building, end units preferred, industrial/low traffic location, etc.

Help Help! :)

growclean

Grow Clean.... Go Fast!
I don't know. I live in a med state so it is probably easier. But I always thought a photography studio or something similiar would work. Chemicals, dark room, etc. That way you could always have a good reason for a landlord or anyone else not going into certain areas/doors locked. "That is my dark room, I have photos soaking" "Yeah, sorry about the smell, I was using a new developer"... etc.

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
I want to rent a very small warehouse, just big enough to build a couple rooms and do a perpetual grow with 8 lights.

Does anybody have good tips on warehouse/industrial office selection and getting a story together for the landlord? I was thinking I could rent under the guise of media production. Of course I want a single-story building, end units preferred, industrial/low traffic location, etc.

Help Help! :)

why not a house? much easier then getting a warehouse. and houses can handle lots of power. have had several 20k+ in houses... seems like a warehouse for 8 lights is a waste imo....

ganjafarmer420

i gotta say a warehouse could be used more for trimming, drying and equiment
and a house is the real deall not apartments a house anyways good luck

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
I agree with KB< I just broke down my 8kw at a house, moving it to a 16kw op I;m setting up at a new house. Warehouses are risky for anything smaller than 20 lights IMHO. Also check commercial power rates, I'm told in some areas it's 4X the price of residential power.

MedGuy510

commercial power is usually half residential, that is why I like it. warehouses cost 1/2 what a house costs and the power is 1/2. PGE dude, I'm pretty sure i checked the rates in 707 lol.

but yeah, it would be 8 lights, scaleable to 12.

House is good, but I've done that before. Very expensive and i'm always around during work hours on the weekday so it looks funny to neighbors probably.

headiez247

shut the fuck up Donny
Veteran
Regardless, if your going big you don't wanna be in dirt. Not sure why you posted this in the dirt section.

MedGuy510

well, i was planning on doing coco coir mix bags. I know it sucks to haul those and fill/empty pots and dispose of, but its the way my mentor does it (and everybody he knows does it this way). 4-5 plants per light, no more than 99 plants total.

do the big guys do hydro? lots of plants per light I bet. I wish I could do hydro in the style of 4-5 plants per light and maybe i will when i have the time/money to experiment, but right now its gotta be soil. sorry if wrong forum.

O

organizedcrime

Regardless, if your going big you don't wanna be in dirt. Not sure why you posted this in the dirt section.

u cant say that likes it gospel. promix is the standard for commercial grows in canada

T

Teeg420

I know guys that run 20+ lights in a house and they run dirt, oh and they hand water. Whatever works for you. I too was hesitant on soil but they get good results, I wasn't able to make the change over so I went with coco.

Yea listen to krunch and lazy man, if you ever wanted to go bigger I would recommend a house with a 200 amp panel.

Youll be fine with a 100 amp panel, 8 lights at 5 amps each wired at 240 = 40 amps and you'll still have plenty of room for your ac, dehueys, accessories, and fans.

You could always do rdwc and run 4 per a light.

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
u cant say that likes it gospel. promix is the standard for commercial grows in canada

Yep I'm afraid I'm gonna have to agree Headiez, everyone i know that does bigger grows is using soil. It's just simple, reliable, and effective.

I'm gonna drip feed ~250 2 gallon Smartpots with Tropf Blumat autowaterers, very low-maintenance watering with no pumps or timers. Could be used for coco or rockwool too.

Keep it simple! ;)

T

Teeg420

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Lazyman again.

headiez247

shut the fuck up Donny
Veteran
Yep I'm afraid I'm gonna have to agree Headiez, everyone i know that does bigger grows is using soil. It's just simple, reliable, and effective.

I'm gonna drip feed ~250 2 gallon Smartpots with Tropf Blumat autowaterers, very low-maintenance watering with no pumps or timers. Could be used for coco or rockwool too.

Keep it simple! ;)

I totally agree that the grower should do whatever medium he is most comfortable with, I just think that on a larger scale hydro is easier. It makes sense that most of the larger guys up there are dirt because of the location, down here most I know do hydro. I do have mad respect for dirt, thats def where I got my start, but I found that when I moved to hydro my yields increased greatly. Also just cant imagine the thought of doing like 200+ 3 gal containers of dirt lol, but hey who said this shit was easy.

Hit me up if you want help building that new room I want an excuse to go up there again lol.

MedGuy510

So i found a ton of possibilities. from 600-1000ft2. thing is, it'll kind of be like growing in an apartment because of the shared walls taking some of your buffer room away between your neighbors. i would be constructing rooms within the warehouse so smell and environmental conditions should be well contained, but i guess smell worries me the most. I suppose if i exhaust with a can150 and recirculate in the rooms with a can150 as well, that should nullify any smell.

pugnacious

All I got to say is be cautious.

Remember that guy eminem? Built a huge operation from a 8000sqf warehouse. Was bumping heads with his partners. Overlooked a security issue. Got busted..

planted1

One thing to think about is the fire marshal checking your space every 6 months, because that does have to happen for the space to remain rentable. Hes gonna know better than the dark room excuse espesially when you have 8 thousand watts wired to your panel and ran into a dark room that wouldt need but a few amps of power to function. That is his business to, making sher everything is safe. so you cant just avoid the question. If you go look at a space, look at the tags on the fire extinguisher. itll tell you the last time he was there and verified equipment, so you can maybe time your crops around him.

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Fire marshall only does inspections on businesses. If you're using the warehouse for personal storage they do not.

bterzz

Veteran
Fire marshall only does inspections on businesses. If you're using the warehouse for personal storage they do not.

In all cases? I was wondering about the "every 6 month" line, suggested above.. That would be a huge hassle for anybody growing in a warehouse..