What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tips for obtaining compact growth

Selecting genetics that stretch less would be my first step. Supercropping and topping will help here as well. Putting smaller plants into bloom with room to stretch will be an easy fix as well. Sativa dominant plants I've grown tend to be a training challenge. Scrog nets are handy for canopy control. Lower night time temps and root zone temps will slow down growth rates which can be both good and bad. I get way slower growth rates with soil vs hydroponics. Letting plants get root bound in soil prior to transplanting will stunt growth as well. Just my 2 cents, good luck!

i thought if i kept day and night temps closer plants wouldnt stretch as much
day temp 23c to 25c night temps 21c

This link suggests that by keeping night-time temperatures 5C higher you can significantly reduce stretching. Also, that the most critical period during daytime to have reduced temperature is during the first few hours of daylight.

Biologist

Vegging under metal halide would have to be the major one. I veg under HPS and myplants almost reach the ceiling. :)

tleaf jr.

Came up off 75w
Veteran
So you think that it is light penetrance to the under-canopy that influences stretching? Would inter-canopy lighting then help prevent stretching?

Sure as well as make those inner buds something to account for. But for commercial scale , lighting the lower canopy is kinda pointless imho.

Mr. Greengenes

Re-incarnated Senior Member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have to go with FrozenFire on this nurture vs nature issue. The surest way to get plants with short internodes is to grow seeds that come from strains that have short internodes. There are plants that grow beastly fast with huge leaves and massive root systems, yet have extremely short internodes. They're rare, but they do exist.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Interesting. By how much do you think that veg is reduced? Do you use differences between day/night temps or just keep a constant 70F? To be clear, you let them rip at this temperature throughout the entire growing cycle?
Veg is increased by at least 2 weeks with the strains I've run, vs similar plants and a warmer environment. No pure indicas or sativas, all sativa dominant hybrids in the 70-80 day range. Plant numbers suck, or I'd simply go with a bunch of clones and no veg. :)

Lights out has always been colder, I let the a/c run at the same setting as lights on. This is hydro, so no issue with cooling soil down too far. Yes, I veg and flower at these temps and everything stays short.

Veg is increased by at least 2 weeks with the strains I've run, vs similar plants and a warmer environment. No pure indicas or sativas, all sativa dominant hybrids in the 70-80 day range. Plant numbers suck, or I'd simply go with a bunch of clones and no veg. :)

Lights out has always been colder, I let the a/c run at the same setting as lights on. This is hydro, so no issue with cooling soil down too far. Yes, I veg and flower at these temps and everything stays short.

So your 70F temp is during daytime? Any idea what it drops to at night?

Thanks for the input.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
You are claiming 1 pound yields from autoflowering strains outdoors? I've been out of the loop for a while... but that seems high to me.

I had to stake this one with a hockey stick because bamboo just wouldn't cut it. They just kept growing and growing.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I have a few people testing it in different climates.

MagniKhan

Veteran
If you want real compact growth , cut your clones after the mother plant has been in to flower for a week. It's called monster cropping and it works very well.

Be Safe,
MK:ying:

RockinRobot

If you want real compact growth , cut your clones after the mother plant has been in to flower for a week. It's called monster cropping and it works very well.

Be Safe,
MK:ying:

Monstercropping will not change the amount of stretch in any way. Just gives more branching.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
I've read anecdotal reports that most of the stretching occurs in the first few hours of daylight, and that quickly reducing temps during those hours can be effective in reducing stretching.

As with most things relating to cannabis production, there is a scarcity of reliable/academic information.
So true :(

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Readings from a light meter will tell your how far the light reaches before it starts diminishing. Your want to cover a decent square footage, but you want the light close enough to penetrate lower bud sites and deliver enough light to keep plants from stretching.

Bottom line keep the light the right distance away from your plants.
+1

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
... depending on ones set up indoors or outdoors, or a grow with infinite ceiling height. One can easily control canopy with the size of the root zone (amongst other things). The canopy is a reflection of the proliferation of the root zone. Diminish that proliferation within reason and you can slow down growth.

IMHO and E fabric pots do a good job wrt this (tent growers). By under-potting (read slightly (e.g 3 vs 5gal ) your plant, one can create and artificial (root bound condition) which as we know slows down growth. However, because of the "air pruning" that occurs in these pots and the subsequent "back budding" of fine feeder roots will slow down top growth to some extent as, the plant is busy under the soil, so to speak.

It stands to reason that trimming a root mass (yes done in bonsai) is not a suitable option for commercial grows but, could be an option for individuals with a small plant count, whether manually doing (not recommended, unless you know what you are doing), or allowing "air pots" to trim for you.

That being said... I said it was a delicate balance and, as others have said, some "stretch" is/can be strain specific.

The other thing that is often not discussed is vegging for a longer time, prior to flip. That information didn't fly over my head like a 707. I veg for 8 weeks. Combined with LST I have kept my canopy in check. Because of the way I grow (multiple strains) I choose not to SCROG at this time, read too much of a PITA, to access plants in a 3x3 tent. That being said... my judicious training and defoliation where appropriate, provides me with more or less an even canopy (plant placement, and growth characteristics). I also use a PAR meter religiously to see what is going on at the canopy and will adjust lights and plants accordingly, not easily done with plants in "bondage".

Because different needs/objectives are exactly that, do whatever suits your grows. I don't plan on growing a summer crop this year, in favour of growing during the fall and winter. Too much hassle dealing with our "Maritime" summers. That being said, as a medical user, once my medicine cabinet is stocked, I plan on only growing when supplies dwindle. If I can get away with a grow every year or so, even skipping a year. I will be happy with that.

That being said, I have 3 more grows to be there (including this one) I will establish the best time of year (in my climate) to conduct some seed runs, creating feminized seeds from both fems and regs. On size does not fit all :tiphat: