What's new

Timers question - ballast timer maybe broken

funker

My ballast timer may be broken/off and I'm worried that when I switch into flowering it won't work correctly. I was thinking of just buying a little timer from walmart or something, but i've have problems with their consistency in the past (floro lights not going on/not going off correctly).

Any suggestions for a new timer?

Thanks!

-funker

EDIT: Not using floros for this one, using 430 sun agro

G

hi funker, you need a timer contacter (and poss a new timer) you need the contacter to stop the ballast frying you timer they can be pretty expencive so its cheeper to buy the component parts and make one your self! there is a thread in the growfacts on OG-:eek: -i said a dirty word...lol if you put in timer contacter you'll get all the info you need on what to buy and how to wire it up its not difficult and it saved me about £45

hope it helps

DC.

G

Funk
Sometimes my flouros don't fire right up when the timer goes on either.

It takes a couple of minutes sometimes for the ballast to get ramped up or enough charge in the contactor to fire the lights. I use 2 sets of (2) 24" Agrosun flouro's on my seedlings and clones starters. One set comes on before the other also for whatever reason.

As far as timers I use the Heavy Duty intermec grounded timer from Home Depot ($15 or $20 bucks). Ungrounded ones are under $12) I use one of those 15 minute interval timers for my water flood pumps. They are easier to set if you are doing multiple cycles close together (no little tabs to lose). The lights with a single on and single off cycle I think the Home Depot one is best. They have digital ones for under $25.

If it's just a little delay right at the beginning of the on cycle it may not be the timer but just a slow reacting flouro ballast.

Texas Kid

funker

You guys are the bestest! Seriously.

I went to home depot and bought a heavy duty timer. My problem does not have to do with it not turning on, but turning off, the darn thing gets "stuck", so I just turned it on to 24/0 and set my heavy duty timer to 12/12. Thanks again guys!

-funker