What's new

timers for 1k digi ballast ?

booboo111

I had bought a prefab hydro setup and it came with an Apollo 8 24hr dual outlet timer for a 600w lumatek, will one of these work with a 1k ballast as I'm wanting to setup a tent

thx

G

Graham Purwatt

I don't see why it wouldn't, it's rated for up to 1500 watts

imnotcrazy

There is ALWAYS meaning to my madness ®
Veteran
What is the Horsepower rating of the timer?

When specifying timers for ballasts, you should be using the Horsepower (wattage) rating NOT THE CURRENT RATING

Ballasts are an INDUCTIVE type of load (exactly like a motor) and the resistive current capacity of the small mechanical timers is not sufficient to carry the load and inherent arcing involved with switching inductive loads.

1 Horsepower = 746 Watts

Most of these small mechanical timers are rated in the 1/4 - 1/2 HP range. With the Wattage to Horsepower equation (Wattage = HP x 746) you can easily see that most of those small mechanical timers can NOT handle the smallest wattage of Inductive ballast.

Watts = 746 x (1/4) = 186.5 Watts

Watts = 746 x (1/2) = 373 Watts

As you can see, they are not specified to even handle a 400W induction ballast

This also holds true for Electronic Ballasts which are a CAPACITIVE type of load.
Electrically Capacitive type loads act electrically OPPOSITE of an Inductive load and the same calculation for inductive type loads can be used to determine how much Capacitive type of load can be applied.

Resistive type loads are in the middle of the two and tend to not draw an arc on the contacts. This is why these timers have higher resistive load ratings

lost in a sea

Lifer
Veteran
that timer is more heavy duty than your average one, if you buy a lighting contractor it will last even longer..

C

CheifnBud2

Upon reading ImNotCrazy's comment i understand something i once did not.

booboo111

When specifying timers for ballasts, you should be using the Horsepower (wattage) rating NOT THE CURRENT RATING

Ballasts are an INDUCTIVE type of load (exactly like a motor) and the resistive current capacity of the small mechanical timers is not sufficient to carry the load and inherent arcing involved with switching inductive loads.

1 Horsepower = 746 Watts

Most of these small mechanical timers are rated in the 1/4 - 1/2 HP range. With the Wattage to Horsepower equation (Wattage = HP x 746) you can easily see that most of those small mechanical timers can NOT handle the smallest wattage of Inductive ballast.

This also holds true for Electronic Ballasts which are a CAPACITIVE type of load.
Electrically Capacitive type loads act electrically OPPOSITE of an Inductive load and the same calculation for inductive type loads can be used to determine how much Capacitive type of load can be applied.

Resistive type loads are in the middle of the two and tend to not draw an arc on the contacts. This is why these timers have higher resistive load ratings

Alrighty now ! Since I only comprehend half of what you're saying how about suggesting something for me that'll have 2 outlets to handle my 1k light and 400cfm fan ?

thx the advice

imnotcrazy

Veteran
Your best bet would be to get a Water Heater type of timer (available at HD or Lowes etc) and wire the necessary outlet(s) to it.. These type of timers are heavy duty and can handle these types of loads

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
An easy way to accomplish this is to get one of the Intermatic T-101 style timers and a 12-gauge extension cord of an appropriate length. You can then cut the cord in two pieces, using the male end to feed power to the timer and the female end to connect to your ballast. Don't forget the strain relief for the cord.

the gnome

Veteran
I had bought a prefab hydro setup and it came with an Apollo 8 24hr dual outlet timer for a 600w lumatek, will one of these work with a 1k ballast as I'm wanting to setup a tent

thx

i have a few of the titan apollo 9 timers,
its rated for 15A so they will push one, 1000w lamp,
i have one for each 1000w lamp
the apollo 9 is digital,
the 8 is mechanical and uses the push/pull tabs for on/off settings.

btw don't use the digital apollo 9 timer with a digi ballast.
you'll chance blowing your bulb

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Both the Apollo 8 & 9 carry warnings about using them with electronic ballasts at the bottom of the following pages. Gnome, take a look above at ICM's explanation of why these shouldn't be used even for magnetic ballasts, it's very good. Any timer that doesn't specify it's tested capacity for inductive, capacitive and motor loads probably hasn't been tested for it by the manufacturer, and I wouldn't use them for anything but a resistive load.

http://www.titancontrols.net/products/timing/apollo-8.aspx

http://www.titancontrols.net/products/timing/apollo-9.aspx

T

trichster

Here is a timer rated up to 1750w that ran only 1000w, its also rated 1/3hp. It didnt catch on fire but it melted a hole in the back and melted plug to it. This slowly happen.

I like the light controllers made by CAP.

imnotcrazy

Veteran
THANK YOU FOR THE ASSIST

THANK YOU FOR THE ASSIST

Here is a timer rated up to 1750w that ran only 1000w. It didnt catch on fire but it melted a hole in the back and melted plug to it. This slowly happen.

I like the light controllers made by CAP.

Rives and I are only trying to HELP PEOPLE. We just don't want to see our fellow growers get Hurt, Arrested or Killed because the hydro shops have no concern for you... only your money.

The picture trichster showed is EXACTLY why Rives and I constantly tell people to NOT use these types of timers for anything but their intended purpose.

"You must spread some reputation around before giving it to rives again"

Kudos Brothers

the gnome

Veteran
Both the Apollo 8 & 9 carry warnings about using them with electronic ballasts at the bottom of the following pages. Gnome, take a look above at ICM's explanation of why these shouldn't be used even for magnetic ballasts, it's very good. Any timer that doesn't specify it's tested capacity for inductive, capacitive and motor loads probably hasn't been tested for it by the manufacturer, and I wouldn't use them for anything but a resistive load.

http://www.titancontrols.net/products/timing/apollo-8.aspx

http://www.titancontrols.net/products/timing/apollo-9.aspx

didn't know the 8 was the same
of course I only use the A9,

I'm not discounting what you and inc are saying, but like a few others I don't understand it.

i also don't understand the manufacturers rating these timers in the manner they do if they aren't equipped to handle the load?

1 Horsepower = 746 Watts

so how can i figure the HP from the information in amps thats listed on these timers so I can figure a safe load i watts?
the info they give is -->15 Amps/120 Volts/60 Hz.

Last edited:

booboo111

i have a few of the titan apollo 9 timers,
its rated for 15A so they will push one, 1000w lamp,
i have one for each 1000w lamp
the apollo 9 is digital,
the 8 is mechanical and uses the push/pull tabs for on/off settings.

btw don't use the digital apollo 9 timer with a digi ballast.
you'll chance blowing your bulb

As it turns out I contacted them and they said to use an Apollo 4

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
so how can i figure the HP from the information in amps thats listed on these timers so I can figure a safe load i watts? the info they give is -->15 Amps/120 Volts/60 Hz.

You can't. That was my point above, the manufacturer isn't even giving a specification for inductive/capacitive/hp loads, so you don't have any idea what the device is capable of. The normal rating is for resistive loads, like a heating element, and is totally meaningless for the other types of loads.

Latest posts

Latest posts