What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Timer and lighting issue...

Ok my friends. Hello and good day to you :-D

Let us all take a toke and get ready for a nice show :-D

What I need from you is a little assistance in the aspect of electrical work that needs to be done and worked out..

I believe I will be having TWO 120V 20amp Circuits available to me.
I have some experience with electrical work, my brother is an electrician.

SO... I know that for sure.. THREE 600 watt Digital ballasts are going to consume
one full Circuit.

600W x 3 = 1800 watt
at 120V
15amps.

now that circuit has 20amp breakers but I dont want to go over 15 on each if i dont have to.

BUT... The problem I am having is the timer for the lights. I cant find any timers that
are 20amps.

I know that if I use a 15amp timer with 1800 watts.. that sucker is going to get hot.
Now I know that it cant be good if its "HOT" to the touch... not just WARM.. but HOT.. not burning either, obviously thats REALLY bad lol.

I was going to run to the hardware store and grab a little junction box and throw 2 recipicles in it to have 4x 20amp outlets.
Connect all of them with some romex... and throw a 3 prone plug on the end.
thats how I was going to get all the ballasts on the same circuit.

So now the timer issue..

What do you guys think?

thanks friends

PS>>>

If anyone can help me out in my other thread as well this would be awesome, always looking for more and new information :-D

I love to read read read and then DO DO DO .. most the time to DO lol

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=225560

Thanks

Cheers

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
Your house probably has two 120 volt wires coming from the pole out on the street. These are probably the two circuits available to you. You don't want to put all of your load on one leg. It's best to balance it out. Unless you have your ballasts on one leg and a refrigerator, chest freezer, and tropical reef tank on the other, it might be best to use both circuits and two timers.

Your house probably has two 120 volt wires coming from the pole out on the street. These are probably the two circuits available to you. You don't want to put all of your load on one leg. It's best to balance it out. Unless you have your ballasts on one leg and a refrigerator, chest freezer, and tropical reef tank on the other, it might be best to use both circuits and two timers.

Im going off the box in my basement.

Looking at the 2 breakers going that are 20amps each that i will be using.

the inside house circuits in talking about.
The rest of the circuits in the house have stuff on them yes..
Refrig...AC... HEater...Spump

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The Intermatic T-101 (120vac) and T-104 (240vac) timers are good for 40 amps. They have clamp-on trippers on a motorized dial, so the timing resolution is not as good as a digital timer, but they are incredibly tough. The other option would be to get a heavy-duty relay such as the one in the link, mount in in an enclosure, and run it off of a digital timer. This would give you the all of the benefits of the digital timer, and a set of heavy-duty contacts.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/DAYTON-Power-Relay-5X847