What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Thrips 101: Introduction to Western Flower Thrips

hazeified

I discovered thrips in my garden a week ago..
seems like spinosad is the thing that works best,but where does one obtain it in UK??
I've found sellers in USA but they don't ship to UK.

anyone help???

Ok UK growers looks like there are only 9 products licenced by the HSE containing Spinosad, 3 are profesional products and the other 6 target ants only, bummer

'Nippon ant Killer liquid' is the only liquid product of the 6 available and seems to work by ingestion, very cheap so I will get some asap and do a test of some kind, maybe a chance of diluting in to a usable spray,
Maybe a european site will ship to UK
:joint:H

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
I have some ZT at the moment and have sprayed twice in the past three days with little to no dead bugs I can see yet. I'm going to order spinosad tonight....I don't know where they came from...those tricky bastards! I grow in perlite/vermiculite...can this medium be flushed out well enough to be reused?

tomfooler

Ok UK growers looks like there are only 9 products licenced by the HSE containing Spinosad, 3 are profesional products and the other 6 target ants only, bummer

'Nippon ant Killer liquid' is the only liquid product of the 6 available and seems to work by ingestion, very cheap so I will get some asap and do a test of some kind, maybe a chance of diluting in to a usable spray,
Maybe a european site will ship to UK
:joint:H
Thanks for reply,found a UK site that only sells to licensed growers.

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
ive seen this on my plants before but i never see the damn thrips themselves...saw larvae a few times....

2cents

I had some thrips.. used the monterey spinosad..

HOLY SHIT!

every grower should have this weapon in their arsenal!

the gnome

Veteran
can you use monterey spinosad as a soil drench to kill thrips larvae?
if not what? something like Bayer Advanced with Imid?

the gnome

Veteran
I live in a fair sized city that has a lowes - home depot-ace hardwares etcetc.
the only thing I can find at these places are:
The Monterey Sluggo Plus contains iron phosphate and spinosad
these are pellets.
anyone know of stores that carry the insect killer spinosad in liqid concentrate form??

I live in a fair sized city that has a lowes - home depot-ace hardwares etcetc.
the only thing I can find at these places are:
The Monterey Sluggo Plus contains iron phosphate and spinosad
these are pellets.
anyone know of stores that carry the insect killer spinosad in liqid concentrate form??

Im on the same boat and seems like i will have to order it!

anyone know if the gnatrol WDG will knock out the thrip larva or something that will? i have fogged the room 3 times all ready with the pyre bombs but they are still making moves!!

yup... and thanks for the heads up,
found it at a local feed-n-seed.
fertil*lome qt for $24

Mind giving a brother a heads up on a place? I ordered some from wormsway but that's gonna take a few days so I wouldn't mind picking some up in the meantime. :joint:

If u rather pm the name of the place thatll work:tiphat:

the gnome

Veteran
unless you live in the same state/city where I got mine from i'm sure you'll pick it quicker from your wormsway order ;)
best bet is looking in your yellow pages for a local feed-n-seed dealer if you can't wait for a few days.

the gnome

Veteran
well I sprayed the spinosad on em late yesterday and today I haven't seen *any* life at all.
I had quite an infestation,
those lil bastards were all over the leaves.
a lot less there today but checkin em out under the scope they are LIFELESS... :laughing:
DOA! :D :D :D

spinosad is what you want to get!
the brand they had was Natural Guard, not ferti-lome
it had a hose end hook up on the bottle so took the plants outside and doused em down.

this stuff WORKS! and works VERY FAST
and its lethal as fuk to those lil bastids.
i hit em with malathion last week and it didn't hardly do
anything to em.`

one last Q, I read somewhere about thrips in the soil, or the larvae?
do I need to do a soil drench with spinosad?
I'm sure I'll need to do some type of follow up with the spinosad to get the probable eggs/hatchlings that are lurking.

but anyways spinosad is fantasic and I can't recommend it enough for a thrips problem

well I sprayed the spinosad on em late yesterday and today I haven't seen *any* life at all.
I had quite an infestation,
those lil bastards were all over the leaves.
a lot less there today but checkin em out under the scope they are LIFELESS... :laughing:
DOA! :D :D :D

spinosad is what you want to get!
the brand they had was Natural Guard, not ferti-lome
it had a hose end hook up on the bottle so took the plants outside and doused em down.

this stuff WORKS! and works VERY FAST
and its lethal as fuk to those lil bastids.
i hit em with malathion last week and it didn't hardly do
anything to em.`

I'm sure I'll need to do some type of follow up with the spinosad to get the probable eggs/hatchlings that are lurking.

but anyways spinosad is fantasic and I can't recommend it enough for a thrips problem

Yea we can say I'm pretty local :tiphat: I received it from worms way but will like to pick some more up to have on stand by. Good news that it knocked em out. I applied it for the first time so we shall see. Anyone know how far along into flower it is safe to use if at all?

Thanks! :joint:

the gnome

Veteran

No soil drench necessary afaik. I recommend 2 sprays 1 week apart = gone for good.

thanks for the heads up ganja,
Ive been looking for any survivors but haven't seen anything moving, just corpses and lots of them :)
still plan to and give it a few mo days and respray
but from what I've see with the 1st application, the next one is gonna
be total 100% buh bye thrips :wave:

still thinking about a preventative soil drench for future grows to keep gnats and other soil pests at bay.
has anyone done a soil drench with spinosad for gnats for anything else?

zymos

Jammin'!
Veteran
Damn!
Well at least I know what is causing my leaves to look like they do.
I have some mosquito dunks for our pond- gonna try that first I guess...

EDIT- nevermind- I ordered the Monterey stuff like everyone else.