What's new

THRIP KILLER = Spinosad

3dDream

Matter that Appreciates Matter
Veteran
BTW this stuff can also be used systemically..

Systemic use of spinosad to control the two-spotted spider mite (Acari: Tetranychidae) on tomatoes grown in rockwool.

Spinosad is a reduced-risk insecticide derived as a fermentation product from the soil actinomycete Saccharopolyspora spinosa. It is toxic by ingestion and contact and has a unique mode of action on the insect nervous system. Spinosad exhibits a high degree of selective toxicity towards the insect orders Lepidoptera, Diptera and Thysanoptera, but is less toxic to many beneficial arthropods. To determine if spinosad could be valuable as an alternative acaricide for the control of Tetranychus urticae, laboratory toxicity experiments with leaf-disk bio-assays were performed on a laboratory susceptible and several resistant strains. LC50 values were rather high in comparison with newly developed commercial acaricides. Surprisingly, when spinosad was applied to the roots of tomato plants in rock wool, excellent control of spider mites was obtained. Apparently, spinosad has systemic properties and quantities as low as 1 mg/plant could protect tomato plants from mite infestation. Different substrates with varying percentage of clay and organic matter were tested in comparison with rockwool and showed that sufficient control was restricted to the rockwool substrate. Consequently, a dose-response experiment with tomato plants grown in rockwool was set up. The persistence of spinosad toxicity when applied via the roots was determined, and pointed to a long lasting control (up to 30 DAT). Spinosad amounts in leaves after systemic application were determined with an immunological technique to quantify spinosad uptake. Correlations between mite control, spinosad uptake and leaf concentrations can be helpful to determine the necessary dose in field situations

S

SexInTheCity

What if the bud wasn't for smoking, only seed production....using a spinosad spray would be OK? also what stage did you guys notice? I'm seeing very small worms (0.5mm) under leafs causing damage to them causing yellow and other damages

B. Friendly

"IBIUBU" Sayeith the Dude
Veteran
people even say that you can use it up to the last day for smoking. Probally a week prior to chop is ok with a rinse after, you can drink this stuff i believe.

ryjy

I have had great results with Monterey Garden and Lawn. I applied this via root drenches and it kicked ass. I applied 3 times before flowering and it worked wonders. It's also effective against mites if you already have the population knocked down but haven't quite eliminated them.

ryjy

people even say that you can use it up to the last day for smoking. Probally a week prior to chop is ok with a rinse after, you can drink this stuff i believe.

Safe, maybe, but I never mess around with products once flowers are established because you never know how it will affect flavor or other stuff like that. Ideally you'd have your bug issues sorted out by the time you turn the lights back.

B. Friendly

Veteran
if i was in my last 10 days with mites building I would use this on a crop i smoked, not preferably but 10 more days of mites would be a nightmare
lets use some practicality

hopleaf

i'm a huge fan of Azamax. one soil drench and one foliar and your bug free...plus it's organic and can be used without any negative effects on flavor or your body.

B. Friendly

Veteran
yeah that's true, Azamax is good stuff,
but Monteray Spinosad product is 25% of the cost compared to Azamax

All I use is Neem and Spinosad products and they have been 100% effective. Have Azamax if i need it

hopleaf

true. the Azamax is really expensive. a 4oz bottle was 20 some dollars. to put that in perspective for a light soil drench its a half ounce per gallon! the thing is that it really works great and is worth the extra buck when you need something thats gonna get the job done within the last weeks of harvest.

Latest posts

Latest posts