What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

This thread is da peat puck freaks..

Strainbrain

Chairman of the Joint Chiefs
Veteran
Indecent:

The easiest way to set the moisture level is just to gently sqeeeze the excess water out of them; the worst thing that happens is you squeeze too much out and you have to add more. It's not an *exact* science. Play with the pucks and you'll end up knowing all there is to know about them pretty quickly. You can also just let them evaporate out, if time is not a factor.

Once they soak, I like to break the peat up inside the cloth a little, make it "fluffy." It tends to be pretty dense, even after a soaking. They should be taller than they are wide when they're ready. And if you over-fluff it? Soak it a little more and slightly compact it again. I usually do.

Oh, and the 'weight' method people recommend for watering pots works GREAT for pucks as well. They'll tell you how moist they are inside if you just pick em up. If you do end up needing to water them, I do what Lola said and let them soak themselves full in some standing water for a couple of minutes. It can be a challenge to top-water them....

Good luck!

-s

magiccannabus

Next Stop: Outer Space!
Veteran
Under a dome, I never have had them dry out completely, and never have needed standing water in the bottom. Some climates are really dry though....

L

LolaGal

I'm running 42% humidity right now, but I have had good luck soaking them and letting them stand in water all the time. I usually remove the excess water every day or two with a turkey baster and replace it with fresh water. I like fluffing them up as well. I impregnate mine with more powdered rooting hormone on the dry puck and soak in the hormone into the entire puck with a mister as well.

My first attempt one foot tall. Cuttings taken Valentine's Day. 24/0.

The netting does not seem to affect the roots at all...lol

magiccannabus

Veteran
I picked up some coco coir pucks today. I was going to get more peat pucks, but the coco pucks were cheaper oddly enough.... Has anyone tried these for comparison?

catman

half cat half man half baked
Veteran
Hi guys, this is my first cloning attempts so be easy!

picture.php

I have at least a 1/2 inch of standing water on the bottom. I changed out the water about 4 days ago and the algae has already returned.

My plants don't look very happy to me and I'm afraid most won't make it. One has taken root and is doing fine so that has me stumped. Should I be spraying them?

The water is pH'd at 6.4-6.6 with 5 drops of super thrive.

L

LolaGal

Catman, Looks like too much standing water, change it more often. They seem to be rooting.

I thought one drop of SuperThrive per gallon of water was the dose?

I'd pour off the water and put em in a dome and spray the dome with water, mist them once after draining water. Hope they come on along for you Catman. The Algae leads me to think they are getting too much light?

Hope any of this might help them clone for you. I think they will make it!

magiccannabus

Veteran
Yeah I'd agree, algae means too much light and too much water. Pucks can last up to a week or even two with no added water at all. I added a bit to mine, but only after about a week, and after that it only took 4-5 more days to finish rooting. Keep them under a dome, and use VERY little light. I had a 13W CFL over a foot away and that was it. Doesn't take much light!

dirkdaddy

catman, that looks messy and totally not needed. next time just wet em till they are soaked, squeeze a bit to get the extra water out, and put them under a dome. you don't need to leave them in standing water.

Blunt_69

the keeper of the creeper
Veteran
Hey, Blunt 69!

Haven't heard from ya in a while.

Hope all is well!

Here's some SSH cuts in pucks:

Hey Peat!!! How goes!! Im back!

I always let mine sit in a bit of water, the trays i use have channels cut into them, I fill these 1/4 inch and let the peat puck sit just ontop of this. So they stay soaking wet untill i remove the dome for two days, and let the pucks absorb excess moisture. with dome on it is nearly impossible to dry out your pucks. What needs to be watched is temp. room temp 25 c is ideal. Mold is a result of to warm.

magiccannabus

Veteran
I've taken two cuttings from one of my Trainwreck X Sour Diesel girls. She needed the trim and so I decided to try to root them. I have one in a peat puck, one in a coconut coir puck. May the best puck win!

Strainbrain

Chairman of the Joint Chiefs
Veteran
Don't get too hung up on your results, whichever puck's clone wins... My last round of 3 from one mom had a 4-day spread on rooting. =)

Still though, with a larger sample size I'd be interested to know how the Coir stacks up. I've only stumbled across one thread with a mention of comparing them, and the poster preferred the peat. I can't even get coco pucks here, while the peats are $.12 each... so it's irrelevant to me. But I am curious.

-s

L

LolaGal

Although I haven't used coir, I have read where others did not like it as well as the peat pucks.

L

LolaGal

Here's My Time Lapse California Orange Bud Clone Pics!

Here's My Time Lapse California Orange Bud Clone Pics!

Looking Good Blunt 69! I think they like the tall roof, mine do!

Got a clone update pic on my first clones! Thought I'd show an age progression!

Babies

Getting Bigger!

Tonight!

magiccannabus

Veteran
Started three cuttings. Two of Trainwreck X Sour Diesel, and one Purple Haze. One TW X SD was started in a coir puck and one in a peat puck. The Purple Haze was started in a coir puck. So far one of the two TW X SD clones has rooted in the coir puck, but not the peat puck. The Purple Haze hasn't rooted either yet. They were all started at the same time too so that's odd, but whatever. Coir pucks at least do work. I'm still using honey as my cloning compound.

L

LolaGal

I'm interested in how this turns out Magic! I started some more clones too! Some are in peat, but I had some rockwool hanging around, so I used some of that too. Cuts were too tall for a dome, so no dome this round. Looking good so far! No wilting!

C

Cerb

I've been digging the peat pucks as of late as well. I had a lot of luck with rockwool, but it tends to gather algae for me. The algae didn't seem to bother any of my clones, but it was very unsightly. I get slightly better results with the peat, and I don't get the algae, so I'm a happy gardener.

The only thing that I don't like is the non-biodegradable nylon mesh. I'd like to begin making my own with cheesecloth soon as in the link provided. However, I've got a method worked out for making them 'Jiffy sized', rather than tin can sized. I'll write out a tutorial once I have it all worked out.

L

LolaGal

Digging these rooted clones! Wow! Cut April 11th. White widow.
They beat the heck out to the rockwool started at the same time! Gotta love the peat pucks.

catman

half cat half man half baked
Veteran
Hi guys, this is my first cloning attempts so be easy!

picture.php

I have at least a 1/2 inch of standing water on the bottom. I changed out the water about 4 days ago and the algae has already returned.

My plants don't look very happy to me and I'm afraid most won't make it. One has taken root and is doing fine so that has me stumped. Should I be spraying them?

The water is pH'd at 6.4-6.6 with 5 drops of super thrive.

That was about 40 days ago. Here they are today. Thanks again for the help everyone.

picture.php