What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

This new website is terrible!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PANIKZ

Vendor
Veteran
ATUK As Iv mentioned any concerns or important things we need changing please feel free to post for the website guys to fix or sort out even @ the mods to the relevant issues

but please be aware these things won’t happen with a flick of a post they need looking into then fixing it takes time be patient we are working on it ..

AND also remember there has to be a line drawn somewhere they cannot change every little detail ..

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
There are forums for people that run forums. They accept this version 5 is no good and VB are not going to be able to fund a version 6 because of it. VB themselves don't use it. They use version 3 which is the best one. Version 4 was not theirs, it was hired help from switchboard land. Which didn't work well although the foundation is something that could build a version 6 if they hadn't basically killed the company with our version 5.

The vast majority of people expect a new posts button. This is the only way many wish to navigate. We don't have one.
When you go to a thread, you expect to see the last post at the bottom of the page, beside a reply box. That is the passage of time, we go down pages and we want to see what we are replying to in the same frame as the reply box.

It
get
don't
just
I

Sorry, please stand on your head and it will be fine.

With such basic functionality errors I don't really care about the state of my albums. I'm really interested how far into this we are financially, in order to fuck it off for something that can be fixed.

I would put up the dead horse smiley, but my smileys are now broken. My smileys ffs. This is shit software.

https://www.vbulletin.com/docs/onepage/

furtive

There are forums for people that run forums. They accept this version 5 is no good and VB are not going to be able to fund a version 6 because of it. VB themselves don't use it. They use version 3 which is the best one.

VBulletin was sold somewhere during those changes too. The old versions of VBulletin which were well liked were made by jelsoft. They sold to a differnt company years back and its the new company that made this version. Some of the jelsoft team went on to make xenforo which is more like oldschool VBulletin and betetr than this version which is trying to hard to be socail media like instead of just being forum software.

I said it in another thread but its a shame that admin didnt go xenforo instead.

ATUK

Administrator
VBulletin was sold somewhere during those changes too. The old versions of VBulletin which were well liked were made by jelsoft. They sold to a differnt company years back and its the new company that made this version. Some of the jelsoft team went on to make xenforo which is more like oldschool VBulletin and betetr than this version which is trying to hard to be socail media like instead of just being forum software.

I said it in another thread but its a shame that admin didnt go xenforo instead.

Jelsoft was sold to a company called Internet Brands.

Moving to Xenforo wasn't an option due to multiple technical reasons behind the scenes. Why do you think the pervious version of the site wasn't touched, apart from the addition of bodged modules for around 13 years? Christ sake, there wasn't even database or filesystem backups running properly on the old server.

It's very easy to say they should do this or that when you don't have to fucking do it.

Moving from one point release to the next took at least a couple of days each time, if it failed, the database would need to be wiped and we'd need to start again. Wiping the database and importing again took around 3 hours each time so before you know it you could lose an entire days work and get nowhere.

As well as a huge database there's also the absolutely mental attachment and media library that needed to be constantly moved around various environments.

The process of moving from 3.6.1 to 5.6.x took months in itself. We had to do multiple test runs to make sure we could upgrade with live data. I could write a book detailing the absolute fucking headache it's been to get to this point and all we've got is constant moaning.

Despite some of the issues a big portion of the community are just getting on with it and using the site. We're aware of some huge issues that still remain and are trying out best to fix them as quickly as possible without breaking things.

Last edited:

buzzmobile

Veteran

Attachments

• photo2027013.jpg
    photo2027013.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 32

eastcoastjoe

The upgrade isn’t even that bad. It may not be perfect at the moment but there are many more positives than negatives. All the bugs will get worked out.. I think some of the people complaining are just a little technically challenged LMAO. I’m not really having any issues navigating, I don’t see what the problem is 🤷🏻‍♂️

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts