What's new

Third Round Recycled Soil Help

V

vonforne

your minerals and meals look good but why add more FFOF when you could add some compost instead? that prebagged stuff is nothing compared to some EWC or Compost.

I would just amend with the compost this round and see what the soil needs. It is easier to add but not to take away if the mix is too rich.

V

Desert Dan

Veteran
The diversity we speak of includes not only the various forms of amendments and their different release and decomposition rates,but also the diversity in the life forms that populate the soil itself.

By adding local topsoils,compost,EWC,forest litter,leaf litter,etc we are insuring that the balance between life forms remains healthy. Much like reintroducing wolfs back into Yellowstone to take out the weak and diseased species. Not only that,but adding material from different locations introduces soil organisms that would otherwise never make it into your soil.

Potworms,blind soil thrips,soil mites,etc.....all good guys that aid in breaking down organic matter into usable forms for micro organisms and the next phase of that particular nutrient or amendment.

If that helps....

I understand the importance of diversity, but I am still new to this and am not quite sure the ratios to add witthout overloading my soil... I currently follow burn1's recipe of 1-2-1 tbs/gal of blood, bone, and kelp meals. I also add back 10-20% ewc.

Recently I picked up some alfalfa meal, rock phosphate, jersey greensand, and glacial rock dust. Can I add these in as well at the same rates as the blood, bone, and kelp? Or will this result in too hot of a mix?

Is there a good application rate for glacial rock dust? Sorry for so many questions : )

DD

Gascanastan

Gone but NOT forgotten...
Veteran
I understand the importance of diversity, but I am still new to this and am not quite sure the ratios to add witthout overloading my soil... I currently follow burn1's recipe of 1-2-1 tbs/gal of blood, bone, and kelp meals. I also add back 10-20% ewc.

Recently I picked up some alfalfa meal, rock phosphate, jersey greensand, and glacial rock dust. Can I add these in as well at the same rates as the blood, bone, and kelp? Or will this result in too hot of a mix?

Is there a good application rate for glacial rock dust? Sorry for so many questions : )

DD

Blood burns..I don't use it..nor do I use Burn1's soil mix...so I can't really comment on that.
You can add as much glacial rock dust as your heart desires considering you treat it as a sand in your soil composition....but check with CC for that.

As for the other items...
Do the research on each amendment and then calculate the ratio of the N-P-K in each. Subtract or add depending on each type of amendment and the breakdown rates.
Of course considering you understand how N-P-K is measured and labeled.
Somewhere in one of Gone Rooty's posts he has a link for the breakdown and/or N-P-K of organic soil amendments.

What is the overall 'mass' of your soil in cubic feet??...and what amendments exist in it as of now??

Desert Dan

Veteran
Gascanstan!!! That is one of the most informative links I have come across... A couple of weeks worth of info to digest! Thank you!

DD