What's new

Thinking of using local soil...maybe?

GeorgeSmiley

Remembers
Veteran
I gotta speak up and say my girl has vacuum lungs holy shit..... I mean not as much as me but for a chick.... gotta grow big plants to keep up.

:D ;)

Smiley

microgram

I'm not sure if someone posted this already, but if you're worried about bringing soil indoors, bake it in the oven first. (not to high) and it'll kill everything in the soil.. including good enzymes and good bugs.

But if it's as good as you state it is, it'd be worth mixing in some of your own minerals/bacteria/etc.

I most certainly couldn't ever piss or shit on my girls, I view it as a sign of disrespect, I just... Just... Couldn't. I rather use
something that came in a bottle. Anyone up for shipping me some of your own urine? haha :smoker:

UG!

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
I baked soil in an oven when I was a kid never to repeat it again.
I wouldn't worry about bugs,using something like neem seed meal in the mix could solve a lot of these problems...
I use neem oil and silicone on a regular basis to control insects,as well as BT to get the larvae of gnats. Not really a problem once a guy get's the idea that it's about management not control.
I haven't seem a mite in ages,gnats come and go depending on how well I keep a BT schedule,and the thrips and such get regular mists of neem just in case they think they might want to get all crazy on me. Management

GeorgeSmiley

Remembers
Veteran
I'm not sure if someone posted this already, but if you're worried about bringing soil indoors, bake it in the oven first. (not to high) and it'll kill everything in the soil.. including good enzymes and good bugs.

But if it's as good as you state it is, it'd be worth mixing in some of your own minerals/bacteria/etc.

I most certainly couldn't ever piss or shit on my girls, I view it as a sign of disrespect, I just... Just... Couldn't. I rather use
something that came in a bottle. Anyone up for shipping me some of your own urine? haha :smoker:

UG!

It's a little hard to bake 100 gallons of soil at a time every 4 weeks.
:D :D :D :D :D

Integrated pest management is what is needed, we don't want a "dead" soil. We have to learn to live in a balance with some of these pests because some of the cures wipe out everything we work to build in a healthy living soil.

Besides, hydro guys don't have to bake their water and they still get mites and aphids? ;)

Smiley

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
you can solarise soil instead of cooking it (it stinks up your whole house if you put it in the oven). put it in a black bag and leave in the sun - you want it to get to about 60C to kill most of the bad things but not all the good things ;)

i think the best thing is to screen/sieve the soil very carefully and watch out for grubs etc.

capt. the plants look great - kind of verdant :D

VG

microgram

Capt.Cheeze1: That's unfortunate, :(.
GeorgeSmiley: It's because they come from outdoors ;), and they get them a lot less percentage wise.
I agree, but having a GMO'd crop is destined to get wiped out at some point due to a lack of genes. (unless you shower and take every precaution necessary like nurseries do)
That's crazy, I can't see how you dispose that much soil, how do you get rid of it every month? When I get more larger indoor set ups done, im definitely going to go hydro for sure (except for the nannies and beginners), less messing around with disposal, and easier to maintain. Not saying im a joe pro, and I definitely don't want to insult anyone else, especially the critics. I live in a city that has a very good treatment plant, always perfectly balanced (might curb if the old galvanized pipes fail), but I rather do the testing and fixing lines rather than getting rid of so much soil. That's crazy, that would drive me completely bonkers.

Gascanastan

Gone but NOT forgotten...
Veteran
Capt.Cheeze1: That's unfortunate, :(.
GeorgeSmiley: It's because they come from outdoors ;), and they get them a lot less percentage wise.
I agree, but having a GMO'd crop is destined to get wiped out at some point due to a lack of genes. (unless you shower and take every precaution necessary like nurseries do)
That's crazy, I can't see how you dispose that much soil, how do you get rid of it every month? When I get more larger indoor set ups done, im definitely going to go hydro for sure (except for the nannies and beginners), less messing around with disposal, and easier to maintain. Not saying im a joe pro, and I definitely don't want to insult anyone else, especially the critics. I live in a city that has a very good treatment plant, always perfectly balanced (might curb if the old galvanized pipes fail), but I rather do the testing and fixing lines rather than getting rid of so much soil. That's crazy, that would drive me completely bonkers.
I don't think cheese see's it as unfortunate.

GeorgeSmiley

Remembers
Veteran
Were I live they pick up yard debris along with the garbage..... i just fill it with dirt, leaves and trim :D :D :D :D :D
I'm kidding,.... I have a really, really nice yard, garden, flowerbeds and it's year round because i have tropical plants I over winter and propagate. I took it up as a cover hobby and kept it going during my break from growing.

So if I'm standing out in the yard in the pouring down rain spreading, feeding runoff to my garden, they think nothing of it. In fact a couple have asked me my secret..... :D

got 2 to stop using roudup and a couple of them are interested in corn gluten for the yards. I told this one couple to xerascape their yard after the 5th time I mowed it for them and they did :D Looks great. 1 yard at a time.

Smiley

NUG-JUG

I told this one couple to xerascape their yard after the 5th time I mowed it for them and they did :D Looks great. 1 yard at a time.

Smiley

Yea Xerascape is about the only thing people should be doing where I'm at... Or a few raised beds with a drip line. Lawns suck.

microgram

Roundup isn't harmless, but relatively so, but it's better than what's available on the market today. It doesn't have many cons, but it does have a couple. and it will breakdown in soil given enough time (I believe the longest it takes is 3 months in scotland).
Using it away from natural water sources should be a rule, and you shouldn't use it if you're pregnant, etc. Other than the obvious resistant flaws, (if you use anything too much, weeds will eventually be resistant.) You should be able to use it on driveways and the like (not in the presence of consumables), the herbicides they have out now are just plain ridiculous, and most require numerous applications. Which is very inconvenient for the average joe.

I'm all for organic methods, but organic isn't for everyone. :tiphat:

Roundup wiki

Glyphosate is rated least dangerous in comparison to other herbicides and pesticides, such as those from the organochlorine family.[33] Roundup has a United States Environmental Protection Agency‎ (EPA) Toxicity Class of III for oral and inhalation exposure.[34] It has been rated as class I (Severe) for eye irritation.
A recent study, on the other hand, has shown that Roundup formulations and metabolic products cause the death of human embryonic, placental, and umbilical cells in vitro even at low concentrations. The effects are not proportional to Glyphosate concentrations but dependent on the nature of the adjuvants used in the formulation.[35]
- Wikipedia

After all the crap I read about falsified information, (pot politics, fake research for example), I doubt any statistics that I see today. (that aren't common sense)

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
Roundup isn't harmless, but relatively so, but it's better than what's available on the market today. It doesn't have many cons, but it does have a couple. and it will breakdown in soil given enough time (I believe the longest it takes is 3 months in scotland).
Using it away from natural water sources should be a rule, and you shouldn't use it if you're pregnant, etc. Other than the obvious resistant flaws, (if you use anything too much, weeds will eventually be resistant.) You should be able to use it on driveways and the like (not in the presence of consumables), the herbicides they have out now are just plain ridiculous, and most require numerous applications. Which is very inconvenient for the average joe.

I'm all for organic methods, but organic isn't for everyone. :tiphat:

Roundup wiki

- Wikipedia

After all the crap I read about falsified information, (pot politics, fake research for example), I doubt any statistics that I see today. (that aren't common sense)

There is a certain percentage of roundup in every human being on earth.....this is my thread about using topsoil,don't need the big red thumbs down hanging out in here. My friends are invited to have discussions with me...this isn't a thread for debating chemical use. PEACE

microgram

Alright, I didn't mean that towards your thread bro, I meant it about roundup. It's a moot point, I'm both for and against it, just trying to provide facts for any potential future search-er. Almost every chemical can be found in man, found in very minute traces.

Sorry for shittin' up your thread :).

UG! :joint:

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
Organic unsterilized topsoil mix.....not the best strains in the world,but chong down on this then tell Jack Herer it sucks and see how far gets ya'.
picture.php

picture.php

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
It's a labor of love my brothers....It only sucks that we have to cram what nature intended into small spaces.

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
Choppy Choppy time.....and it all only goes to show that any nut with any experience at all can utilize what nature has already provided. The amount of living creatures in this soil mix is incredible,it is alive! So it looks like close to two pounds out of HALF of an 8x8 room under a 1K MH and 1K HPS on the other half of the 8x8 taking care of the flowers a month behind these ones.
Thanks to everyone who encouraged and helped push me to the point of taking this experiment to the level it has become. Verdant,Burn1,Jaykush,CC,CTguy,MM,Von,etc,etc.....
From here on out it's all recycle and re-amend...hopefully using less and less of the things I have to get in my car to go buy.
picture.php
picture.php

picture.php