What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Things I didn't know but probably should have

'Boogieman'

If you want to add life to your water heater attach a hose to the spout at the bottom of the tank and drain it once every three months for a couple minutes, don't turn off the water as the pressure helps flush the sediment out of the tank. DO NOT DO THIS IF YOUR HEATER IS OLD, SEDIMENT CAN GET STUCK IN THE VALVE AND IT WILL NEVER STOP LEAKING.

At least once a year spray your air conditioner coils with degreaser and spray it down with water preferably a jet sprayer attached to a hose at close range, this will make your air conditioner more efficient and add life to the unit.

dddaver

Veteran
Spark another Dave, you don't make sense!

Simple. Since plant matter is mostly water the magnetic pull of the moon would seemingly effect plants as well. Pulling sprouts toward it so up out of the soil. Get it now? :tiphat:

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If you want to add life to your water heater attach a hose to the spout at the bottom of the tank and drain it once every three months for a couple minutes, don't turn off the water as the pressure helps flush the sediment out of the tank. DO NOT DO THIS IF YOUR HEATER IS OLD, SEDIMENT CAN GET STUCK IN THE VALVE AND IT WILL NEVER STOP LEAKING.

At least once a year spray your air conditioner coils with degreaser and spray it down with water preferably a jet sprayer attached to a hose at close range, this will make your air conditioner more efficient and add life to the unit.
I've never heard of flushing your water heater until very recently. I know my step father never did it. But we always had gas water heaters.

The one in my new house is electric unfortunately, and I've learned that flushing needs to become a regular maintenance thing. Otherwise my new "12 year" water heater will be just that, a water heater that dies after 12 years.

As far as AC goes, I learned another pro tip recently (besides spring cleaning). Add a water valve and sprinkler system to your condenser unit to kick on when your AC does, and you'll increase your cooling efficiency something like 40%. Keeping your house cool while lowering your electric bill. There are several youtube videos on how to do it.

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
Simple. Since plant matter is mostly water the magnetic pull of the moon would seemingly effect plants as well. Pulling sprouts toward it so up out of the soil. Get it now? :tiphat:
Gotcha Dave. Remember this is the stoners forum LOL, I guess it all depends what wave length we are on :thank you:

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
I've never heard of flushing your water heater until very recently. I know my step father never did it. But we always had gas water heaters.

The one in my new house is electric unfortunately, and I've learned that flushing needs to become a regular maintenance thing. Otherwise my new "12 year" water heater will be just that, a water heater that dies after 12 years.

As far as AC goes, I learned another pro tip recently (besides spring cleaning). Add a water valve and sprinkler system to your condenser unit to kick on when your AC does, and you'll increase your cooling efficiency something like 40%. Keeping your house cool while lowering your electric bill. There are several youtube videos on how to do it.
All things being equal, longevity is a thing of the past. Most H2O heaters only last 10 yrs or so. All part of being a consumer society.