What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

There's a lot of 'marketing' in the world of marijuana seeds, eh?

JetLife175

Veteran
The future is in preservation. There is alot of older good gear that gets passed over for the latest fad.

Dont worry kids, we got yer back.

best regards,
mendel

I whole heartedly agree with you. Since about 2010 preservation and provenance have been the number one priority for me. I’ve kept moms as opposed to flowering plants out due to space off and on for years. Keeping the old genetics alive and healthy is something I take seriously.

There are a few other people on this forum that are holding amazing cuts and lines for preservations sake like myself. I would imagine everyone combined has most if not
All the pivotal clones and lines somewhere or within reach. That’s really an amazing thing.

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
you need marketing and illusion to sell it, if you want to be big seller, so you put out some bullshit about it, you know it is not true, but it depends if customers would believe it, if yes, then it works and is called marketing tool :D like founder of cannabis seedbizz, Nevil did.. he said his customers that NL5haze is 80 days haze, and some of them believe it till now.. LOL.. so it is all about customers, if they are educated about product or they are dumb, more dumb customers, more hype you can use :D

Cvh

Supermod
What good about this hyping is that the handful currently existing landrace companies are also trying to jump on this type of marketing.

They are also all on Instagram and other social media platforms.

It won't be long before the average seed buyer is also going to get interested in acquiring extremely rare authentic Cannabis strains. Be it that he wants to grow, smoke and experience the strain or for the reproduction of seeds or just bragging rights with his (online) friends.

More consumerism of the landrace seeds will lead to more motivation for the landrace companies to keep doing what they are doing and keep investing and hunting for 'new' exotic Cannabis strains.

This will lead to more protection and accession of very rare and endangered Cannabis strains.
I managed to order myself straight out of my couch landrace seeds of strains I couldn't even find when I was physically skimming through the streets and alleys in Amsterdam years ago.

420Ready

To be honest, I find the new and hyped up strains in appealing. I'm only on my 2nd grow but I'm leaning towards older reliable strains, Northern Lights, Mowie wowie etc.

I work for a cannabis manufacturing company, strains come and go or are like others said, immediately crossed with something else and die out.

HillBillyAlien

I whole heartedly agree with you. Since about 2010 preservation and provenance have been the number one priority for me. I’ve kept moms as opposed to flowering plants out due to space off and on for years. Keeping the old genetics alive and healthy is something I take seriously.

There are a few other people on this forum that are holding amazing cuts and lines for preservations sake like myself. I would imagine everyone combined has most if not
All the pivotal clones and lines somewhere or within reach. That’s really an amazing thing.

I would try and S1 every cut i can if i was you incase something where to happen.

grayeyes

I have always had pretty good luck with individuals not companies. The only one I have had success with is RSC. I mostly buy land races not the latest hybrid as for the most part I find them bunk.

Just have to look around.

Grey_Wolf

Hi all this is a good thread I wonder if anyone can explain the tendency to give these new strains such Wanky sounding Names lol

KiefSweat

Veteran
meh in todays market hype is just another word for elite cut
If i got 10 friends and each manages a min of 50 lights and they all tell me i want this cut of wedding cake etc its because its superior to what else is out there. the same still holds for blue dream too.

mexweed

Veteran
there are what 40+ phenos of gelato and the best ones taste and hit about 80% as good as true OG, OG is what it is because of chemdog and at the time of OG there were 3 phenos of the dog not 50

KiefSweat

Veteran
It’s simple it also then throws superior offspring. The cycle gets repeated every 30 years. Sections from 2010-20 are probably way better then everything since the late 80s. The game has changed in terms of both methods of seed production and growing and your average seed nowadays is probably way better then your average skunk cross was in the 90s

Chem is the definition of bag seed hype. Shit ain’t even sexually stable but everyone still thinks 3 bag seeds where the best ever.

G

It started right here on icmag.

One of the benefits of being here the last 14 years was to see the blueprint for how weed would be hyped in the new world.

Ironically, the first two strains that got blown WAY out of proportion we're both better than the average hype cuts of today. Many of which contain those two.

The first was, of course, cookies. Now, I don't hate cookies, animal is a nice cut, though I prefer straight og to it. But Berner orchestrated a beautiful campaign across whatever social media sights we're popular at the time. But he couldn't have done it here in Cali without the, at the time, premiere "weed site" in the world. Lotta second generation icmaggers we're able to get their hands on cookies, whereas many other cuts were still hard to get. Didn't see it happening, it just did...but then...

GorillaGlue #4 happened. If you go back far enough in the archives here, you will see lots of info that never got deleted in the attempt to "clean up" the narrative. Jw had released the cut here in Cali and was content he had done his job. Many of us here shared the ideal that pheno hunting and releasing anything worth spreading was a pillar of a cannabists' online achievements. Then, one of the assholes hit him up on SDF threads and told him he could make it the biggest cut in the scene and it could make him rich. Wrote looooong ass posts about how to do it. And did it. "Grizz" went from a grumpy cute old timer who hermied his plants in non light tight grow spaces to Josey the "creator" of gg4. He changed from the dude who literally threw those what? 5 seeds in the trash, before pulling yhem out of trash and sending them to another dude here on icmag who actually grew them out,to the modern breeding wizard who changed the world. Now, the guy who grew them ain't here no more, the guy who spent 6 months telling jw how to hype it was driven off the forums when he was exposed for being a rotten scumbag p.o.s.! But by the time that happened, it was done. I once suggested the flavor and high of gg4 was decent, but the main reasons to grow her was yield, bag appeal and the fact that growers who couldn't get thru an og cycle without lockouts could grow gg4 with an absolute minimum of skill and knowledge, and the blowback for that was immediate, fukn nasty, and organized. Josey couldn't even stop his followers from jumping my shit and accusing me of being a liar and a front for a "competitor". I had never seen anything like it on cannabis forums.

These two cuts undercut a big part of what online cannabis forums were about at the time. Started the inevitable collapse (which woulda happened anyway w new media platforms).

And again, those two were STILL better than so many of the hype cuts of today, much less the fukn seeds y'all are buying.

But, for the Young folks w less than 20-40 years of growing/consuming experience, it's necessary. The reason 25 yr olds still listen to 50 yr olds is there is no substitute for experience. And none of us old timers would've gained the experience without buying bunk genetics or growing "hyped" cuts that disappoint. Part of the journey.

I just ask a couple things from the younger generation:

Please please PLEASE stop with the "pre's" and the "this is the "real" or "original" MTF and for fuks sake understand that if you really want "roadkill skunk" then you need to start popping Afghani indica seeds. NEVER believe OGkush came from Hawaii. And understand the the terms Matanuska thunder fuck, crippy, Maui wowie, and skunk are not strain identifiers, they are regional terms for fukn weed.
End caffeinated rant.

Id like to know some more about this GG4 drama. Where ??

Cvh

Supermod
^I personally got jumped on here on the forum by Josey his 'friends' when I dropped a link to some of the very first GG4 S1 seeds that were made available on the seed market. I only shared a link to a seedbank...

They can all...

But I think you better start a new thread because it might be off topic.

dddaver

Veteran
I just went on a dispensary site. They are selling a hybrid strain called Ebony and Ivory. I googled it. They made it up. Leafly doesn't even have a description.

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
It has always been a marketing thing, just take a catalog from the late 80s, and even then the descriptions of the strains were quite imaginative(government clones, seeds found in hashish, ultra-narcotic indicas, productions bordering on the paranormal ....), then it is obvious that a person has to grow, you can forgive a beginner for being a fanboy , to those who say they have grown for half a century just not ....

mexweed

Veteran
how many people list sour diesel as their top strain compared to jungle cake or banana sherbert

in the early days of chem there was no internet hyping, the weed had to walk the walk especially in NY

troutman

Seed Whore
The seeds speak for themselves. No fancy stories will cover a breeder's ass if the seeds fail to live up to the hype. ;)