What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

There is nothing that can kill thrips! NOTHING! HELP ME, THEY ARE KILLING MY PLANTS

I've checked many, many sites for information how to get rid of thrips.

All of them say that use ladybugs - which are HIGHLY PRICED in my area, about 70 USD / 50-60 EUR a box, so its pretty much out of the question - besides, even paying this amount wouldn't probably guarantee that they would kill them all.

All of them also state that in an EXTREME CASE, use pyrethrin-based sprays.

Well, I have nuked them now every few weeks with an enormous amount of spray (e.g. for my space according to the bottle I should spray about ten seconds, and I've always gone about 20-30, so two to three times above the recommendation) trying to ensure that this will kill them.

But guess what?

HELL NO THEY ARE NOT DYING. They seem to always just chill for a week or two, and then there will be new damage.

How often I should spray them to ensure that I get them all?

Or can I even get them all? Is the only way to get rid of them to shut down the grow for a few months, kill all the mothers (which don't have a bad infestation but everytime I thought they are gone, the damage starts again)??????!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Starting to panic here, because as I said, I've sprayed them a lot, and now that my big can of spray is running out, I am getting pretty scared of what might happen to my harvest (about 6 weeks away from chop now)...

HEEELP!

All input is very much appreciated! :tiphat:

TickleMyBalls

just don't molest my colas..
Veteran
I'm battling thrips right now too. They're not killing my plants but they're annoying. You need to get a spray with spinosad in it. What I'm about to do it his them with a dose of Monterey garden spray and Azamax, then I'm gonna drench the soil with Azamax and water with nematodes.

TickleMyBalls

Veteran
Don't spray your flowering plants! Gotta chalk it up as a loss man. Would you smoke nugs with pesticides on them?

GrowbagUK

Their eggs are often laid in the plant material and won't be killed by spraying.
They often drop off the plant into the soil or hide in the vegetation during their pupal stage and won't be killed by the spraying. You could cover pot with newspaper soaked with a spray.

You need to repeat the sprays every 5 to 10 days depending on your climate to catch all the newly hatched thrips - you will probably have good breeding conditions indoors so 5-7 day interval would be best. 3 to 4 sprays should be enough to cover the lifecycle.

When spraying it is best practice to switch between different compounds so there is less chance of resistance build-up. I would suggest you get a neem based product to alternate with and/or an insecticidal soap which has a physical mode of action (suffocates them). Water can blast some of them off too.

Also clean out your grow room thoroughly and spray all the surfaces in the room.

Try some sticky traps to catch the flying adults. Spiders webs will catch them too.

They don't like cool and humid conditions...a morning misting with water before lights on every day will slow them down.

Hope you get on top of them. Using as many different angles of attack as possible is usually best.

MIway

Veteran
Thrips are kinda on the easy side to kill, compared to other bugs we get, so u shld b able to make a dent in em...

Insecticidal soap kills em on contact... And so does horticultural oil... The oil will smother even the eggs.

They do fly and are mobile, so gotta spray entire plant (tops and bottoms of leaves) and all around the pots, trays etc. Hit any soil-medium exposed to the air daily... Even the side holes on most pots. Plant tops can be done every handful of days, or as you see em... Esp w the soap.

Still in a bit of a spot if u have full blooms... Don't like to spray even w the soft stuff like the soaps and oils. Might want to use some caution w the oil tho... Could burn plants if not careful.

GL man. Better than mites or aphids! ;-)

O

OrganicOzarks

Spinosad will kill them, and is OMRI listed. Spinosad is the best thing I have come across in a long time. I use it outdoor on the vegetable garden mostly, but sometimes it is needed inside as well.

C

cvk

Thrips are kinda on the easy side to kill, compared to other bugs we get, so u shld b able to make a dent in em...

Insecticidal soap kills em on contact... And so does horticultural oil... The oil will smother even the eggs.

They do fly and are mobile, so gotta spray entire plant (tops and bottoms of leaves) and all around the pots, trays etc. Hit any soil-medium exposed to the air daily... Even the side holes on most pots. Plant tops can be done every handful of days, or as you see em... Esp w the soap.

Still in a bit of a spot if u have full blooms... Don't like to spray even w the soft stuff like the soaps and oils. Might want to use some caution w the oil tho... Could burn plants if not careful.

GL man. Better than mites or aphids! ;-)

++1

Kcar

There are FOUR lights!
Veteran
Anything with Spinosad in it. Kill's them dead. Bayer Imidcloprid works too.

humble1

crazaer at overgrow 2.0
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Use spinosad first. Imid is wayyyyy overkill for thrips unless they are spinosad resistant.

TheCatsMeow

it's always possible that what you have is something different than thrips cause as others have said, thrips are pretty easy to get rid of or atleast put a dent in and also they really dont destroy plants.

if they are thrips though, spinosad is what your looking for.

TickleMyBalls

Veteran
How did two people give me negative rep for giving the same advice as everyone else? What the fuck?

Garhart

Have a bunch of coco that is infested with RT. I was using the Bayer product until I found a study which just used hot water. That is all I use now and it works great for me. Real simple, fast and easy! I do not have a link , but here is the info you would need to look it up as well as a bit of a summary :
"Phylloxera in Oregon Grape Vines: Biology and Treatment of
Planting Stock With Hot Water Dips
Bernadine Strik and Paula Stonerod
Associate Professor and Research Aide, Dept. of Horticulture
Oregon State University"

The objectives of this study are to determine methods for dipping of young grape vine nursery stock that
will eradicate existing phylloxera populations without causing plant damage.
/all life stages of phylloxera were subjected to hot water dips in 125*F water
for 0, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, and 13 minutes to determine potential for eradication.
The results
showed that all life stages were killed with a 5 minute dip in 125F water.

I found that tap water and a thermometer were all I needed to be rid of them . Hope it works out as well for you .

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
lol people will click on unhelpful if you said the sky was blue lol... It does not take any points away. That was removed along time ago for reasons just like this..

Classic Seeds

Veteran
safer insent spray kills them but not the eggs but it is easy to apply and it will turn your hairs red and make them dry up if its in flower you need to spray it off after it drys or it plugs the leafs stromata and slows growth neem oil works great to i try to stick with non chemical solutions aloha cls