What's new

Theory about oil color and density

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I dunno I havnt really thought about it. I have been blowing bong hits into bubbles, and then popping the bubbles, and then taking the bong hit out of the air again.

Can you tell I have been toking all day, and it is raining out?

jump117

Veteran
Blue Amber is amazingly beautiful thing,
Wiki write that the fluorescent hydrocarbon responsible for the blueness is most likely perylene (melting point 276-279 °C),
which is soluble in nonpolar dichloromethane.

dextr0

blue_amber_black_white.jpg

the next two are courtesy of Jump:

zzzx

Could you use a small amount of HCl or NaOH to adjust the pH of the oil and get it to change colors? Of course there would have to be very little chlorophyll and it would need to be purged well.

G.O. Joe

Veteran
Cannabis does not seem to contain perylene. As the plant ages or when the trichomes are pressed they lose their thin layer of protection from air. Colorless turning purple or violet then yellow or brown in air has been noted often for pure THC and relatives. GrassMan's picture on the first page is lovely. I think part of the yellow color might come from the leaf, but not the stigmas since leaf and white stigmas will still give gold oil. Water washes out nothing with color from nonpolar extracts. NaOH extracts the yellow from nonpolar extract of cannabinoids still in their acid form, along with the acids. HCl and NaOH do not change the colors.

However, extracts containing CBD in organic solvent are oxidized by air to purple quinones by ethanolic 5% KOH (Beam test), the purple disappearing with HCl. This can be used in the field or anywhere for estimating highest and lowest CBD/CBDA/CBG percentages out of hundreds of samples, if you've got that many plants and test tubes.

I use a different extraction method, and I usually do pure bud runs as I do so many breeding projects, but I do pure trim runs also. It really depends on the strain. I use the same equipment, but I do grow multi-strain perpetual, and I do trim runs for several dispensaries. I find that different buds will produce different consistency of oils, some of my oil is solid and thick, some is incredibly runny (made with pure buds, breeding project, espresso colored oil), while another stain produced a honey earwax consistency, and yet another produced a nice thick chunk of solid hash that looks and handles like full melt Moroccan hash, but all is made with butane.

Different harvest times, different strains will produce different oil in my experience, different colors and consistency. Different flavors and stone also.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I use a different extraction method, and I usually do pure bud runs as I do so many breeding projects, but I do pure trim runs also. It really depends on the strain. I use the same equipment, but I do grow multi-strain perpetual, and I do trim runs for several dispensaries. I find that different buds will produce different consistency of oils, some of my oil is solid and thick, some is incredibly runny (made with pure buds, breeding project, espresso colored oil), while another stain produced a honey earwax consistency, and yet another produced a nice thick chunk of solid hash that looks and handles like full melt Moroccan hash, but all is made with butane.

Different harvest times, different strains will produce different oil in my experience, different colors and consistency. Different flavors and stone also.

What DK said.