What's new

THE WoW THREAD.

Marlo

Seedsweeper
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Up the pot size next run brother...3 gal is too small for a water-only organic mix.

Bigger would probably be better, but I'm gonna see how the next run goes with my added knowledge. Adjusting the soil mix, and cooking the soil properly should make quite a difference.

Not to mention, I went thru a whole lotta trouble to get these airpots....I'm not givin up on em that easy!

I added a top dressing of EWC and guano's before lights out today. I also added some liquid compost @ 1tsp/gallon to the water. It's supposed to have beneficial bacteria that is good for breaking down food for the plant. I gave the water a good stirring and it started foaming up nicely. Smelled "organic" :). The yellowing was alot more noticeable today on my SD ibl, so hopefully this is exactly what the Dr. ordered.

I will say this tho.... It really thinks in there. Much stronger odor than I'm used to. This is insane for day 26. The DSD's are dominating the room in the smell department, so it's mostly sweetness....but it's still early. A new scrubber is @ the top of my list.

:tiphat:

silver hawaiian

Veteran
Marlo

It's exciting to see you on the organic ride. :) Your past grows have always impressed me (REALLY impressed me) - so I'm stoked to see how you do with this grow. New methods, new foods, ..

(And I keep thinking that with my relative success and total ignorance on my first organic run, I don't see how you won't knock it out of the park.)

:respect:

:wave:

AOD2012

I have the key, now i need to find the lock..
Veteran
Yea marlo, the first time i ever grew was organics, earth juice line. plants were stinkier and tastier then anything i have grown since. i think it may be time to head back in that direction. keep it green brother, and once again, you came through for me big time, I'll always be in debt.

aod

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It's not so much the size of pots as it is the size of the plants...when first flowered...and how big the root system is when transplanted.

A healthy / fine tuned environment will allow for faster growth and quicker uptake of nutrients if they are available...allowing things to compost really makes a difference. After realizing how most people skip this step...I' ve learned a bit of yarrow/nettle blend helps cut composting times literally in half. This also creates a great deal more heat once "cooking" begins, making things TOO "hot" for immediate use for two weeks...but you'll basically be getting a months worth of composting action. Forces ones hand to let things cook, but then thanks them x2 for the restriction.

This has also enabled the use of some ingredients that otherwise took too long to break down to make use of...which means even better balance and this translates to substantial improvements in crop performance.

Thanks Marlo for your great thread...just provides great confirmation.

dank.Frank

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I will say this tho.... It really thinks in there. Much stronger odor than I'm used to. This is insane for day 26. The DSD's are dominating the room in the smell department, so it's mostly sweetness....but it's still early. A new scrubber is @ the top of my list.

Welcome to organics! When the plants is choosing it's diet, I feel you get a much more accurate representation of the terepene and resin profiles. Nature can impart it's flavors much more than we can...

The reality is chemical fertilizers only try to mimck / reproduce what happens in nature.

dank.Frank

Grizz

Veteran
hey frank i know what your saying about the pot size but in my case just using coco i have found providing a lot of root space really increases the stem size and plant size even when only using them for a 2 month flower, now im trying a 1 month veg and really want to make sure they get as much space as they will need for a full 3 month run, i would love to try some of your mix in a comparison side by side with chem ferts and coco

Gsizzle

ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey frank i know what your saying about the pot size but in my case just using coco i have found providing a lot of root space really increases the stem size and plant size even when only using them for a 2 month flower, now im trying a 1 month veg and really want to make sure they get as much space as they will need for a full 3 month run, i would love to try some of your mix in a comparison side by side with chem ferts and coco

Im looking to mix things up a lil myself. As I add living source to my coco to get the organic concept if that makes any since.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Heya Joesy...

Coco is more difficult to get high micro life. In part why I suggested Marlo use an extra gallon of EWC in his 50/50 blend.

Phillthy was recently sharing an experience with me, noting an increase in pot size (.5gal to 1gal) did not give him longer life on the plant, but rather a bigger plant still hungry in the same time frame...lol. Interesting observations though.

I have found, by having a root bound plant you limit side branching and force vertical growth. I'll keep a rooted clone in a 16oz cup for 4-5 weeks....

I have a point...but I'm losing it...have no idea how many times I've deleted and started over...lol...will edit and finish another time. ;)

dank.Frank

Marlo

Seedsweeper
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Marlo

It's exciting to see you on the organic ride. :) Your past grows have always impressed me (REALLY impressed me) - so I'm stoked to see how you do with this grow. New methods, new foods, ..

(And I keep thinking that with my relative success and total ignorance on my first organic run, I don't see how you won't knock it out of the park.)

Thanks alot Silver. I'm excited about this one too :) The more I read/learn, the more I like about growing like this. Hopefully the end result is worth it. I'm already thinking about how I can improve the next run.

mar what size pots are those , 10 gl ?

Nah...they're only 3.4 gal. Looks like there may be another upgrade in my future....

The reality is chemical fertilizers only try to mimck / reproduce what happens in nature.

I never thought of it that way, but you're exactly right.

Grizz

Veteran
lol frank when you remember please get back at me, Marlo i wasent suggesting bigger pots, i was just trying to get a idea on what size to get for my vert scrogg im setting up now,

love2gro

my soon to be walls o weed=]

100_11132.jpg

100_11122.jpg

100_11112.jpg

100_11202.jpg

Grizz

Veteran
just a question for you green wall guys, how do you harvest ? just go in and start chopping branches off the wall?

G

greenmatter

just a question for you green wall guys, how do you harvest ? just go in and start chopping branches off the wall?

i can't speak for anyone but myself ....... i remove the twist ties from the screen and take the whole plant out in one piece. as long as the girls never grow through the screen its easy.

Marlo

Seedsweeper
ICMag Donor
Veteran
my soon to be walls o weed=]

They look great! I hope they fill in nicely for you.
Looks like you've been staying on top of your trimming as well. Should turn out great for you

When I used to grow thru the screen, I would chop the plant at the bottom of the stem, and remove the screen from the pot. Then start chopping the branches off one at a time. Worked well, but it was a pain in the as to hang dry all those branches.

Last time I grew on the walls, harvesting was much easier. Getting all the lil anchors off was a task at first, but once they were off I was able to remove the the plant whole. I rigged a way for the plants to hang upside down, and trimming wasn't that bad at all. Then i was able to dry the plant whole, which is much better imo...

picture.php

picture.php

Grizz

Veteran
makes sinse, i do like removing one plant at a time and trimming one bud at a time till done, for me i like getting it all done at one time, buds go into a paper bag for slow dry, I guess thats why i really liked the vert screens attached to the pots, take it out whole, sit in my chair with a cold beer and get busy