What's new

The World Music thread

Marz

Stray Cat
420club
Very good taste, but it's Bossa, not Samba.
Who said it's samba?

Afrosambas are a set of songs created by Baden Powell and Vinicius de Morais
Canto de Ossanha is my favourite afrosamba.

Btw, Bossa Nova is samba, is just a group of musicians playing samba like white people.

Eltitoguay

Who said it's samba?

Afrosambas are a set of songs created by Baden Powell and Vinicius de Morais
Canto de Ossanha is my favourite afrosamba.

Btw, Bossa Nova is samba, is just a group of musicians playing samba like white people.
Just because the collection of songs is called "Afrosambas" does not imply that the song is samba or afrosamba. Like when Caetano and Gilberto sing "sadness is the Lady: since samba is samba it is like this...", that does not transform the song into a samba, when it is a bossa nova... It is a way of speaking...

Bossa nova is a derivation of samba, but very different: it has a lot of influence from jazz and Hispanic folk; Compared to samba, the rhythm in bossa is greatly simplified, but on the other hand the harmony is much richer and more complex than in samba.

...And, the reverse of the previous cases, Daniela sings to us and pays tribute to Gil and Caetano and their music, with a samba...

Marz

Stray Cat
420club
Just because the collection of songs is called "Afrosambas" does not imply that the song is samba or afrosamba. Like when Caetano and Gilberto sing "sadness is the Lady: since samba is samba it is like this...", that does not transform the song into a samba, when it is a bossa nova... It is a way of speaking...

Bossa nova is a derivation of samba, but very different: it has a lot of influence from jazz and Hispanic folk; Compared to samba, the rhythm in bossa is greatly simplified, but on the other hand the harmony is much richer and more complex than in samba.

...And, the reverse of the previous cases, Daniela sings to us and pays tribute to Gil and Caetano and their music, with a samba...

You're completely confused and lost. Lots of things you pasted here from internet is unaccurated. But u can keep searching. Then, if u ask, u can learn. Otherwise, Daniela in a context of samba and Bossa Nova just comes from a person who knows nothing about Brazilian music.

Eltitoguay

Pode ser... Porque nessa hora eu não distingo mais Forró de Maracatú ou Maracatú de Samba ou Samba de Samba-Reggae ou Samba-Reggae de Axé...
borracho-como-un-perro.jpg

Last edited:

Eltitoguay

"Who said it was a samba?"... It must have been that Daniela who said it...in Vide Gal (Rio):
(Note: in Spanish and Portuguese, "river", and "I laught", sounds the same "río"; hence the play on words with Rio de Janeiro): "I laugh, I laugh, I laugh... I laugh so as not to cry...(...); if I'm hungry I have a Sugar Loaf, if I need a hug I have a Christ to hug..."

Daniela Mercury no Carnaval da São Salvador da Bahia; so you can dance a little...A alegria chegou!

Last edited:

Eltitoguay

...I also tend to get confused with Vinicius de Moraes, and sometimes I confuse him with a writer who apparently has the same name...
IMG_20231205_213103.jpg

IMG_20231205_213155.jpg

But the night confuses me, and even more so if Zamaldélica, aged rum, is playing around, and someone plays those Samba-Reggae songs from my youth again (if I played them before, I don't want to remember... To dance!
(Brazilian):

(Argentinian):

(The remix version that sounded where I went to dance when I was young)::

(Spanish):

Last edited: