What's new

The Wire hbo

Bob Labla

yup, probably gonna be the last season too.

i think its gonna be about the media and its portrayal/spin on actual events. should be pretty good. this show breached my #1 all time favorites when they legalized drugs in certain parts of town and portrayed it as benificial on the whole.

i really reccomend this show to everyone. it is so realistic in its views of the inner city drug culture, and the corruption of government and police department politics.

M

Mr. Nevermind

o.gkushowns said:
Does anyone know if they are gonna make a season 5?

Just finished season 4 and wondering.
thanks
peace

Yeah , they are making another season. With Sopranos finishing up they have to have a big show like the wire. Those shows are HBO's money makers. Very good show, with extremely good writers. Alot of former detectives and former dope dealers write or play a role in the show which helps make it more authentic.

Plus when they are filiming the show all the stars are all over Bmore. I was in a club in Bmore maybe 2 years ago and got a chance to hang out with Mike williams ( The actor that plays Omar). I picked his brain about the show, which annoyed him cuz they cant tell you anything about the show due to contract.

The Wire paints one of the best and most clear pictures of street life in baltimore. Life is of little of no value there and they were able to capture that aspect to the letter. Baltimore has some of the youngest murderers you will ever lay your eyes on. kids 12 years old got the weapons and balls enough to leave your head in the middle of the street down there. All these wanna be gangsters think they are hard and that they rep their hood. Drop their little asses of in Bmore and i bet you the wanna be gangster will piss his pants.

Bmore is no joke. I think its nickname is charm city. Aint nothing charming about Bmore

Nevermind

G

The Wire RULES. I love how the focus shifts a little each season, but they don't abandon the characters and plots from the previous season. It's like they're stepping back further and further gradually giving the big picture.

Season 2 is my favorite. But I also really like the one focused on the kids (season 3?).

The two guys that created this show are phenomenal.

The characters.. are deep and varied, and the acting great. Tons of verisimilitude.

Last edited:

Dan42nepa

I only saw like 1 episode. I wish I could check out the previous seasons without actually renting them. I watch sleeper cell which is a good show, sopranos, the tudors, big love, weeds, and will miss deadwood and hutch? (the show about the psychiatryst). I doubt john from cincinnati will be as good as deadwood.

Julian

Canna Consultant
ICMag Donor
Veteran
They are currently working on the next season (S5), which will be the last season.

Personally, I think there is no greater show ever written, and, it's truly the most raw, complex, and accurate project ever created.

If one has not seen all 4 seasons, it should be done as it is a continual story and evolution of all characters.

sirharrynuggz

I had to go out and get the DVD's for seasons 1-3 as soon as I saw the first couple of episodes. FUCKING BRILLIANT!!! The creator/head writer, David Simon, was a Baltimore City Police Detective for 25 years or so. His co-writer was a Baltimore Sun reporter for something like 15 years, and like someone else mentioned a lot of the people on the show have done time. The guy who plays the deacon did 15 years in prison, busted by David Simon. The chick who plays Snoop actually killed some chick when she was a teenager, and did time for it. It's a gritty, realistic show, definitely not for everyone, but certainly for me.

Julian

Canna Consultant
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yeah, when you see S1 TO S4, kind of changes everything. (When one's only exposure was 1 season...) The list of real life credits are endless. "Norris" was the ex Baltimore police commissioner who did federal time for corruption.(Got out and got role) S4 has the Governor of Maryland playing role of State Trooper manning Governors (on show) desk. Ex Baltimore Mayor has a role as one of Mayor's (show) Advisor. The Deacon in S4 was the real life "Avon" basically. List is endless, and, one thing overlook also is the acting. Without it, despite the writing, would definately not be the show it is. I really don't think I have ever seen anything with such a large cast, yet virtually every cast member is so talented. "McNaulty" and "Stringer" for those who do not know are actually British actors, with fairly heavy accents in real life.

It's truly a shame, as they haven't done to well with ratings, and, I think it's going to be one of those shows that no one discovers until it's too late, and gone.

That's kind of how it is for majority (See a couple episodes, have to go and get all seasons and catch all seasons, all episodes )

Last edited:
M

Mr. Nevermind

Julian said:
They are currently working on the next season (S5), which will be the last season.

Personally, I think there is no greater show ever written, and, it's truly the most raw, complex, and accurate project ever created.

If one has not seen all 4 seasons, it should be done as it is a continual story and evolution of all characters.

Well, at least we can agree on one thing. The wire is perhaps the most accurate and well written show in TV history.

They get into every aspect of the game from the foot soldiers , to the bosses, to the cops to the junkies. The characters are so well written and portray the life in Baltimore as it is.

Favorite line from the show

"Omar aint no damn terrious he just another nigga with a gun, And you aint no damn delta air lines you a nigga dat got his shit took."-Marlo

In Bmore there are a million Marlos and Avon's. The shit truly is a family business down there. Every few years in Bmore a Strenger Bell character comes along who thinks they can re invent the game. No murders, no blocks just buy it for 10 and sell it for 20 and no hood shit. But it never works because that person will never understand he essence of Bmore .

You got some people in Bmore that are 25 years old and aint never even left the city. The block and what goes on there is all they know and care about. They dont care about iraq, they got their own terrorists to worry about. They dont watch the news, and really much TV besides rap city. so all that matters to them is money and respect on their block. same as in DC. Kids down there want a name and want the fame and are willing to kill for it. As long as they turn into a street legend they are content. Foolish but thats how they think.

Rayful's name still rings out in DC and will never be forgotten and most strive to have their names remembered 20 years later as he does .

Street dreams, problem is in the dope game its easy to reach the top fast. But once you are there you see that your dream aint much in the real world. But for a 4 block radius, they are god. If they could only realize the amount of $$ and do something with it they could get out. Instead they get it fast, spend it faster and die trying to get more

Nevermind

Julian

Canna Consultant
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Mr. Nevermind said:
Well, at least we can agree on one thing. The wire is perhaps the most accurate and well written show in TV history.

Actually, not even one thing.:smoke: There is no perhaps . It most definately is.....

To the Wire virgin:
Most shows have a cast of 10, sometimes more. Typically , the "main"/"primary" characters are very small in number. If one was to check the cast of The Wire, one would find, literally, up to 70 "primary characters.

Each with quite a bit
of focus, and, evolving over seasons.

2.Most see an episode, and, consider it a "gang" show, a "cop" show. It is neither. You have to watch several to realize that whenever you think you know what it's about, you realize you were greatly mistaken.

It's about the city, and each and every aspect, from street, to politics, to schools.

The average person tunes in, catches one, which they may or may not like or have ideas about, and, assumes that is the entire show and it's focus.

No other show even comes close. (I'm a #2 Soprano's fan, view it similar , but, in the end, doesn't even touch it as far as writing and complexity.)

Bob Labla

im posting again cause i get soo stoked when people talk about this show. its deserves soo much more spotlight than what it gets. just pack a few bowls and watch the first 3 episodes of s1. by then you will be so caught up in the characters you wont be able to stop watching. if there ever was a dvd worth buying these are them. infact ive downloaded the series but im gonna by the dvds just to show my support. such a great show!!!!

Julian

Canna Consultant
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Absolutely.

I underwent the same as many, someone gave me the pitch, really tried to turn me onto it, and, mreally, just get me to watch a couple, and, I have seen the same thing happen to literally dozens (hundreds)...You watch one, maybe you see something of interest, maybe you don't but, most are very confused, but, you see something there. Then, you watch a second one, and, start to see it's much more expansive in content then you thought, and, start to see more about what it's about. Then, 3rd one, that's the one that usually hooks people, and, by 4th, your borrowing all seasons before when you came in....

I agree, wholeheartedly, and, grateful to the person who turned me onto it.

It's really not that simple to explain due to the complexity, and, from what I have seen, that's the factor which looses a lot of people ("Too complex, I don't get it")

Soprano's fans will also note: 1 hour means 1 hour episode, not 46, not 51, not 39. I hour. They will also note that the average episode is probably about 15 scenes more or les, none of that spending 40 minutes on a single scene and wasting the entire episode.

And, should be noted for people who start watching initially: VERY "content rich" as far as dialogue goes, so, if your a talker, or, you know talkers, best to watch it alone because you get up?, you miss something. You grab something to drink. You miss something. You sneeze. You miss something. One of my favorite things about it actually. Hard to be "bored". Too much info and a fairly rapid pace.

Most accurate show I've ever seen....

I agree, too much can't be said about it.

UmphreyMcgee420

Heady Connoisseur
Veteran
indeed a very good show. i too got hooked on the first season and watched it all the way up to the fourth, and am anticipating the next season. if your into a lot of tv shows/series etc. check out alloftv.net and watch/download all you want. :joint:

L

Lune TNS

Unfortunately I didn't start watching the wire until this last season, but I still got sucked into it's storyline and fantastic writing. I've actually been meaning to buy the dvds of the previous seasons and get the backstory that I've missed. It's hard to imagine the wire without the kids, though. Now that they've been added it seems like such an essential part of the show.

edit: http://tv-links.co.uk/ is also another good site that you can watch the wire on if you don't have HBO.

Last edited:

o.gkushowns

18 and Doh!
Yea i agree with you guys. The crazy thing about the Wire is it really makes you think.

I swear at one point i was feeling bad for the snitch kid (randy i think). Everyone has a face from the cops to the killers and even snitches and junkies. Really makes you think.
peace

Julian

Canna Consultant
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You have to think to keep up with it.

Junkies.....If anyone can watch and tell me "Bubs" is not one of the greatest actors you have ever seen, well, I truly don't know what to say...(You forget he is an actor :biglaugh:) His sponsor..... again, real life casting. Steve Earl, known for his little "problems" (recovering addict)

Julian

Canna Consultant
ICMag Donor
Veteran
HBO.com, Wire site/home.

Most of the "guest" start info is in either news or sometimes episode write ups..Yeah, bubs sponsor is Steve Earle (music guy, recovering addict. Steve Earle Fans were pleased :smoke:)

LIMELIGHT

Julian said:
No other show even comes close. (I'm a #2 Soprano's fan, view it similar , but, in the end, doesn't even touch it as far as writing and complexity.)
ditto.....
Omar likes it simple=)

Latest posts

Latest posts