What's new

The Universe - History Channel

qwerty

Been watching this series...have seen Season 1...

It's on Netflix

Anybody else watch this amazing show? It is really humbling.

across-the-universe.jpg

ibjamming

Veteran
They sure assume a LOT as FACT...and not "theory". Actually...it's ALL theory...and very LITTLE actual fact.

I usually spend more time laughing as they keep going on and on with pure imagination...all the time acting so sure of themselves, like they're right there looking at it in real time.

they're good shows but if you don't know other theories, you're left to believe that it's the ONLY thing scientists believe. Same with all those "science and nature" shows...full of conjecture.

J

juicepuddle

They sure assume a LOT as FACT...and not "theory". Actually...it's ALL theory...and very LITTLE actual fact.

I usually spend more time laughing as they keep going on and on with pure imagination...all the time acting so sure of themselves, like they're right there looking at it in real time.

Could not agree more, they started throwing out crazy shit so long ago, and people ate it up so shit like this is on TV and accepted as fact, it used to be funny but now its absurd / sad.

I watched the life of a star thing, it was cool but so much was obviously an extreme stretch.
they're good shows but if you don't know other theories, you're left to believe that it's the ONLY thing scientists believe. Same with all those "science and nature" shows...full of conjecture.

:yeahthats

ibjamming

Veteran
Could not agree more, they started throwing out crazy shit so long ago, and people ate it up so shit like this is on TV and accepted as fact, it used to be funny but now its absurd / sad.

I watched the life of a star thing, it was cool but so much was obviously an extreme stretch.

:yeahthats

There are few here who swallow it all hook line and sinker...no names.

I'm telling you...the standard mind control religions weren't working...so they came up with the religion of technology/science!

Apple is (or will be soon) the worlds biggest company...value wise. The worlds biggest company in capitalization is going to be a "toy maker"! "Worthless" gadgets...that's all they do. All so people can be alone...but together. No time else have we been able to "make friends" in our underwear at home. I guess we are finally "equal"...known only by our words and our avatar... I think it's odd...but if it works for you kids...

Anyway...you kids...don't believe all those shows and articles about science. Scientists THINK they know more than they do. Nobody knows ANYTHING about ANYTHING past our solar system...it's all guesses. Just because they SOUND sure of themselves...doesn't mean they ARE sure of themselves.

Hell, I'm still waiting for a scientist to tell me HOW gravity works. You'd think because we've been falling down for millions of years...we'd KNOW a thing or two about it. We don't. We don't even know WHAT it is. Is it a wave? A particle? What IS the force of gravity? We can USE it...but that's where our understanding ends. Same with light...excite an atom with energy and when it goes back to it's natural state...a photon is released... OK...HOW and WHY? Nobody knows. I can go on and on forever. At a point...EVERYTHING we "know"...ends...

Pick anything and I'll give you a point where EVERYONE says...we don't know how/why that works/does what it does. Everything we KNOW is built us from an earlier ASSUMPTION...and there is sits...waiting for another discovery to push it off it's pedestal. EVERYTHING we thought we "knew" has been superseded/supplemented...and it will continue.

We don't know shit...we have a working knowledge...that's it. We know how to push a few buttons.

KharmaGirl

~Resident Puck Bunny~
Veteran
Wow...some people are buzz kills...just let people enjoy what they want to, who cares if you personally believe it or not...

D

draco

it's like everything else - don't swallow ANYTHING whole!! chew it on the way in...

btw if you lose your buzz on the universe, just go outside on a clear night with binoculars and a tripod.

space is 3D - not some pinpricks in a canopy. if you look at it long enough and hold your mouth just right, suddenly you see that 3D effect and it is wonderfully disorenting. no up or down in space!!

but... there is NO nebula as close to earth as that picture shows...

ibjamming

Veteran
Wow...some people are buzz kills...just let people enjoy what they want to, who cares if you personally believe it or not...

What kind of attitude IS that? "Just let people believe whatever they want"? Doesn't matter whether or not it's true...it's entertaining???

This is why we have these "heated" discussions here...there are a WHOLE LOT of misinformed people...misinformed because they watch shows like this...AND the nightly news. They think they "know" something because those master authority figures the TV or the government or a university told them it was so.

IF you watch it ONLY because of the pretty pictures...AND you approach it as "someones imagination"...fiction...then I"m OK with the general public...and kids...watching it. It IS after all...just the latest "best guess".

Just as we laugh at what people believed throughout history...people WILL laugh at YOU someday for what you believed.

We're not at the top yet...we don't know it all...not by a long shot.

Don't get me wrong...I love these shows...but I also know the producer has an agenda...I know to keep an open mind. It's just another opinion. It's not "the truth". It COULD be someday...but we don't know yet.

The National Science Foundation and all the other supporters of these types of shows are in it for the money. They hope that these programs will lead to more government/corporate research money for the science industry that they represent. Politics...EVERYTHING runs by it...it makes the world go round. Want the "why" of anything...follow the money/power trail.

OjoRojo420

Feeling good is good enough.
Veteran
What kind of attitude IS that? "Just let people believe whatever they want"? Doesn't matter whether or not it's true...it's entertaining???

This is why we have these "heated" discussions here...there are a WHOLE LOT of misinformed people...misinformed because they watch shows like this...AND the nightly news. They think they "know" something because those master authority figures the TV or the government or a university told them it was so.

IF you watch it ONLY because of the pretty pictures...AND you approach it as "someones imagination"...fiction...then I"m OK with the general public...and kids...watching it. It IS after all...just the latest "best guess".

Just as we laugh at what people believed throughout history...people WILL laugh at YOU someday for what you believed.

We're not at the top yet...we don't know it all...not by a long shot.

Don't get me wrong...I love these shows...but I also know the producer has an agenda...I know to keep an open mind. It's just another opinion. It's not "the truth". It COULD be someday...but we don't know yet.

The National Science Foundation and all the other supporters of these types of shows are in it for the money. They hope that these programs will lead to more government/corporate research money for the science industry that they represent. Politics...EVERYTHING runs by it...it makes the world go round. Want the "why" of anything...follow the money/power trail.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Schizophrenia (pronounced /ˌskɪtsɵˈfrɛniə/ or /ˌskɪtsɵˈfriːniə/) is a mental disorder characterized by a disintegration of the process of thinking and of emotional responsiveness.[1] It most commonly manifests as auditory hallucinations, paranoid or bizarre delusions, or disorganized speech and thinking, and it is accompanied by significant social or occupational dysfunction.

Yep... switch to Seroquel

ghostly

I like the ghandi quote, I had a birthday card with that on it.

I'd love to burn a phatty with Carl Sagan while atop Mauna Kea and wax theoretics. The night sky always put me in my place, and reminds me that the earth is part of the heavens...

Religion for some, is based on faith, that is not knowing but believing. Those beliefs can be what control you or set you free.

Ps... Albert E, explained how gravity works (though newton said it pulls, AB said it pushes) and these shows demonstrate with cool graphics the physics behind it.

Science, physics and wonder all have a place in this world, the next and all the pionts of light in between.

ibjamming

Veteran
I like the ghandi quote, I had a birthday card with that on it.

I'd love to burn a phatty with Carl Sagan while atop Mauna Kea and wax theoretics. The night sky always put me in my place, and reminds me that the earth is part of the heavens...

Religion for some, is based on faith, that is not knowing but believing. Those beliefs can be what control you or set you free.

Ps... Albert E, explained how gravity works (though newton said it pulls, AB said it pushes) and these shows demonstrate with cool graphics the physics behind it.

Science, physics and wonder all have a place in this world, the next and all the pionts of light in between.

I agree with everything you said there Kama'aina...but the gravity thing...

It's defined as the "consequence of the curvature of spacetime"...not a very good definition to me. Seems more like the definition is nothing more than the consequence of gravity...not what it is. I'm talking AFTER Einstein...

"In the decades after the discovery of general relativity it was realized that general relativity is incompatible with quantum mechanics.[16] It is possible to describe gravity in the framework of quantum field theory like the other fundamental forces, such that the attractive force of gravity arises due to exchange of virtual gravitons, in the same way as the electromagnetic force arises from exchange of virtual photons.[17][18] This reproduces general relativity in the classical limit. However, this approach fails at short distances of the order of the Planck length,[16] where a more complete theory of quantum gravity (or a new approach to quantum mechanics) is required. Many believe the complete theory to be string theory,[19] or more currently M-theory, and, on the other hand, it may be a background independent theory such as loop quantum gravity or causal dynamical triangulation."

It's all a bunch of guesses...

KharmaGirl,

Bite? Sounds like you're out fishing to me... I expected you to say something if you didn't agree...not play games. Do I need to ask again? Is it your suggestion that people just "go along" with whatever they're told and not worry about the facts"?

If so...what ELSE are we supposed to "just go along with as IF it was true"? I can think of a whole lot that we already do "blindly believe". No questions asked...in fact if you DO question...you're an "agitator".

Case in point...Wikileaks...are you for it or against it? Are you FOR or AGAINST having the TRUTH exposed? We shouldn't NEED a wikileaks...and since we got it..."they" are trying everything they can to stop it. Calls for killing him? Torture? For what? The truth? The sleazy truth. You SHOULD be using this to clean house...get rid of the dishonest. But what will we do? We'll keep watching/buying the crap they feed us. We'll keep voting for the people they place for us to "vote" on. They'll keep on owning us.

OjoRojo420,

Whatever...I guess it's a side effect of getting "medicated" before I come on-line. But I didn't appreciate the tone at all. So, if you haven't got any opinion yourself...move along son...

KharmaGirl

~Resident Puck Bunny~
Veteran
If people want to watch it for the pretty visuals what is it to you? Not every thread needs someone to "educate" them or enlighten" them, nor do politics need to be involved in everything. You take things a bit too seriously...relax, live and let live...You totally misinterpreted what I originally said, btw.

BadRabbit

it's like everything else - don't swallow ANYTHING whole!! chew it on the way in...

btw if you lose your buzz on the universe, just go outside on a clear night with binoculars and a tripod.

space is 3D - not some pinpricks in a canopy. if you look at it long enough and hold your mouth just right, suddenly you see that 3D effect and it is wonderfully disorenting. no up or down in space!!

but... there is NO nebula as close to earth as that picture shows...

Not quite as close as that picture shows, but you can have a grand vision of the Orion Nebula with a low power scope or good pair of binos, same with the seven sisters (in the picture) but no where near as dramatic as Orion.

You can also quite easily make out moons jammin' around Jupiter with a basic set of binos ...

Of course, with my 18" truss dob reflector, I can see a whole lot more than that ...

one Q

Quality
Veteran
Yes, I could only watch a few episodes cause theyre sooooo dramatic. But some good info tho.

I really like "how the earth was made" 2 seasons of amazing stuff.

ibjamming

Veteran
If people want to watch it for the pretty visuals what is it to you? Not every thread needs someone to "educate" them or enlighten" them, nor do politics need to be involved in everything. You take things a bit too seriously...relax, live and let live...You totally misinterpreted what I originally said, btw.

Sorry for overreacting then...

My beef with it is they make it out to be "true"...when it's HARDLY that. If they put a big disclaimer up saying these are scientists...SOME scientists...best guesses, I'd feel better about it. But they don't. They make it out like last week some scientist was there doing tests and taking pictures. I see it all the time...that's why I bring it up when I believe it's important to know.

And yes, "sometimes" I may take things too seriously...but that is subjective too. Just my opinion added to the rest. Take it for what it's worth.

Politics IS involved in everything. You're a Moderator...you'll be treated differently than some punk with 3 posts...you know that...and you know it's politics.

I just call things EXACTLY as I see them...that's all...no other agenda than to point out things you may have missed or misinterpreted...in MY opinion. I'm not out to "get" anyone or anything. Just straight up honest opinion. Sometimes brutally honest. I'm always looking for the truth or as close as I can get. There are roadblocks everywhere. Some natural, some man made. My views constantly change as I get more information...nothing is static. But the newest isn't always the best...nor the most accurate.

It IS good entertainment and as long as people treat it as such...it's all good. Like I said...I watch it.