What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

THE ULTIMATE PERSONAL PROFESSIONAL HASH PRESS FOR UNDER 20 BUCKS !!

indoor organic

so i just bought mine online from poly clay play, they have em for $19 and they ship to you for like $4 or $5 anywhere in the us.

too bad ur not getting comission for the sales of these cause i bet you contributed to a whole bunch of their profits lol, ill at least hook ya up with some rep!

thinman

thanks, Pipedream...

thanks, Pipedream...

this is probably the best thread i have ever read at any forum. informative, no "attitudes", fantastic tutorial...

thanks to everyone who participated....

lvilledanksta

just got mine in the mail today!!!! woooohooo!!!

right when i have no quality smoke, i can take all the kief i have saved up ::sheds a tear:: and press a few grams hopefully.

ill try and take some pictures.... thank you oh so kindly pipedream

+K+K+K+K+K+K+K

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
rusto said:
if only i had something to put in the press.

What's that saying? It all started with a seed? something like that. :D Doesn't do you much good about right now but give it 3 or 4 months and that could all be turned around. :joint:

chef

Gene Mangler
Veteran
Best toy I've seen posted!

I'm going to brand mine like cattle :p have an old leather tooling kit somewhere?

I like the gold leaf idea too, just like the real stuff back in the day.

Bulénath

I just received mine, after being convinced by soo many wonderful people, nice enough to share thier pictures and experiences.

But there is something that really, really bothers me.

There is a Rubber Grommet attached to the actual press, that is permanently stuck between two pieces of metal. This is on the end of the plunger-screw that does the actual flatening.
Well, when I apply enough heat, I am damn certain I am causing teh Rubber Gromet to leak contamination into my product. After all we are applying heat and pressure to rubber, that will definately cause some sort of reaction where chemicals will be released into the product being pressed.

Does this concern anyone else? Is there any way to reomve the rubber grommet while leaving the press fuctionable???

This is a very serious concern for everyone using the press!!!!

Bulénath

Another question I have is a more obvious one, pertaining to the two different models: Aluminum and Steel.

Obviously the Steel one would retian heat much better, and also be much better at evenly distributing heat.

Where as the Aluminum one I just goes from Hot to cool to the touch in 10 seconds.

Does anyone find that, because of this differece, the Steel one produces better quality Hash???

HempKat

Veteran
Bulénath said:
Another question I have is a more obvious one, pertaining to the two different models: Aluminum and Steel.

Obviously the Steel one would retian heat much better, and also be much better at evenly distributing heat.

Where as the Aluminum one I just goes from Hot to cool to the touch in 10 seconds.

Does anyone find that, because of this differece, the Steel one produces better quality Hash???

Well I've tried both now and since the steel one is shorter I find it harder to get good torque on it and ultimately it doesn't press as well as a result. In the end I get a decent product but in a way I have to work harder at it.

As for the heat issue, if you are making it so hot that you melt the rubber seal then you're making it too hot for the resin. Resin vaporizes somewhere around 400 degrees F and for pressing purposes every process I've seen suggested temps delow 200 degrees F. Even below 150. At those temps you're not going to melt that seal. Also I don't think that seal is permanent, I'm pretty sure my kit came with one or two replacement seals.

Bulénath

High HempKat,
Good to see you around! Thank you for your reply.
I am following the rule of "not so hot that you can't touch it".
Sometimes it does get kinda hot, but within two or three seconds I can hold it tight in my hand without any problem.
Maybe it's nothing to wory about, but then again, I am a Gong (glass on Glass) Kinda smoker that only likes the very best. So naturally this rubber O-ring makes me concerned.

Anyway, I have noticed many differnt things about smoking my pressed-ganja!
First of all, let me state my stash isn't totally dry. It's half way there. So it's not fully crispy, and it smells a little fresh. Either way, I pressed four grams total, over four sessions, one gram per session.
My last run was pure buds that I didn't coffe-grind, rather hippie picked them apart with my fingers, then pressed it.

My Roor bong has never been cleaner after a fat bowl! Usually if I smoke grinded ganja, my Diffuser/Downstem turns brown with ash stains and my bong water turns yellow and putrid after a single half-gram bowl!
But the pressed-ganja leaves my pipe perfectly clean! Even with the exact same weight packed into a bowl, the end result is a bong that barely looks used!
Also, the pressed-ganja is smoking down to a white ash, without any bad taste! Surely when regular ganja is this fresh, and smoked down to the last hit, it tastes like ass! Not to mention there is a thick pile of left-over black ashses! But when I smoke pressed-ganja ( I hesitate to say hash, for the buds were practically whole), this is not the case!

It is so amazing I have spent all day thinking about why, and I have been wanting to talk about this with everyone here...

Seems like the pressed-ganja, because it is thicker and denser, is able to smolder at higher temperatures much longer, thus allowing the weed optimal combustion with very little flame! Also, becasue of this higher temperature of virtual "hot rocks" made of pressed weed, it is able to smoke down to pure white ashes without making a mess inside of my Roor Bong's Diffuser/Downstem and bong water!

But that is all I can think of: Relating this Phenomenon to heat.
Any comments, information, etc, is very appreciated!
Aloha everyone :rasta:

Last edited:

Pipedream

Proudly Growing My Own Since 1969
Veteran
:rasta:

I too am concerned about what enters my body. However, I really don't consider the rubber O-Ring much of a concern. Rubber O-rings are present in a wide variety of food preparation equipment and usually come in contact with the final product. They are also as in every potable water delivery system, hot and cold. (including most new kitchen faucets) Additionally, if you use the dime as indicated in the beginning of my thread, it provides a very good barrier. And lastly, as already stated, we're only making the press warm not hot. If the quality of the supplied O-Ring is still a concern, a replacement food-grade piece can be purchased at any Home DePot or Lowes plumbing department for about 20 cents. Or alternatively, use the dime and just leave the O-Ring out.

:rasta:

Bulénath

Hi Pipedream,
It's been a while! It's always nice to see old friends around:)

I have been using two dimes two sandwich the ganja/hash, just as you suggested on the first page.
So are you saying it is possible to remove the Rubber O-ring, and still retain a functionable hash press?

The O-ring looks like it is the main stablizing element for the actual press part.
After removing O ring that is sandiched by two metal pieces, the actual press will no longer be strudy with a tight fit, and seems it could fold or bend perhaps, even when pushing a dime down.

However, Pipedream, you have a point about such grommets being used in faucets which pour boiling water, etc. Perhaps I am being a little too cautious...?

Either way, if someone has removed the rubber O-ring from the tip of the presser, leving the two metal pieces bare with no buffer, and still retians aperfectly functionable hash press, then please let me know!

HempKat

Veteran
Bulénath said:
High HempKat,
Good to see you around! Thank you for your reply.
I am following the rule of "not so hot that you can't touch it".
Sometimes it does get kinda hot, but within two or three seconds I can hold it tight in my hand without any problem.
Maybe it's nothing to wory about, but then again, I am a Gong (glass on Glass) Kinda smoker that only likes the very best. So naturally this rubber O-ring makes me concerned.

Anyway, I have noticed many differnt things about smoking my pressed-ganja!
First of all, let me state my stash isn't totally dry. It's half way there. So it's not fully crispy, and it smells a little fresh. Either way, I pressed four grams total, over four sessions, one gram per session.
My last run was pure buds that I didn't coffe-grind, rather hippie picked them apart with my fingers, then pressed it.

My Roor bong has never been cleaner after a fat bowl! Usually if I smoke grinded ganja, my Diffuser/Downstem turns brown with ash stains and my bong water turns yellow and putrid after a single half-gram bowl!
But the pressed-ganja leaves my pipe perfectly clean! Even with the exact same weight packed into a bowl, the end result is a bong that barely looks used!
Also, the pressed-ganja is smoking down to a white ash, without any bad taste! Surely when regular ganja is this fresh, and smoked down to the last hit, it tastes like ass! Not to mention there is a thick pile of left-over black ashses! But when I smoke pressed-ganja ( I hesitate to say hash, for the buds were practically whole), this is not the case!

It is so amazing I have spent all day thinking about why, and I have been wanting to talk about this with everyone here...

Seems like the pressed-ganja, because it is thicker and denser, is able to smolder at higher temperatures much longer, thus allowing the weed optimal combustion with very little flame! Also, becasue of this higher temperature of virtual "hot rocks" made of pressed weed, it is able to smoke down to pure white ashes without making a mess inside of my Roor Bong's Diffuser/Downstem and bong water!

But that is all I can think of: Relating this Phenomenon to heat.
Any comments, information, etc, is very appreciated!
Aloha everyone :rasta:

Well I have never used the press on ground bud, just on sifted resin. So I can't really comment on what you've noticed accept to say that your logic seems reasonable to me, I mean the "hot rocks". I would add this though. It seems to me if these "hot rocks" are that much hotter after the first good hit I'd think most if not all the resin would be burned up even if the plant material hasn't yet been reduced to white ash.

Also on the ash thing, since I don't know you really and don't know if you know this, but how the plant is handled just prior to harvest can impact how well weed burns. People who go heavy on nutes and do little or no flushing at the end are more likely to end up with weed that burns black, also a rushed drying process with little if any curing can lead to this. The point being that your white ash might be more a testiment to how properly you ran your grow then it is attributable to the press. Of course a quick way to test it would be to "hippie pick" (I love that term :smile:) some unpressed bud from the same harvest and see how well the ash burns there. Being that it's fairly fresh too, some of that resin is probably still in a rather oily state (the contents of the gland heads on the trichomes). Pressing that would likely release that and be soaked up by the plant material possibly helping everything to burn a little better?

Last edited:

Bulénath

HempKat,

"Being that it's fairly fresh too, some of that resin is probably still in a rather oily state (the contents of the gland heads on the trichomes). Pressing that would likely release that and be soaked up by the plant material possibly helping everything to burn a little better?"

I believe that may be one of the main reasons behind the better burning.
It is true that Hand-rubbed hash is immediately smokeable becasue the oily glands have been thoroughly mulled like play-doh, exposing the insides to oxygen which causes an immediate reaction, some kind of process like Carboxylation or Oxidization?
This is opposed to letting weed cure, with the glands in a undistured, perfect state, to slowly metabolize the moisture within, while the outside is slowly being exposed to air over relatively long periods of time.

As far as flushing, well I am not the biggest fan of it. I have tried it a couple times, and I find no real difference in the way my buds end up smoking. Maybe it's because of the potting medium and fertz that I use. I grow 100% orgainc with a semi-soiless mixture and use strictly Pure Blend Pro.
I also hang dry my weed, in 50% ambient RH, in a dark closet, hung over my grow box's exhaust, with my bedroom's air conditioner set to 60F, for roughly seven days, by which time the buds are so crispy dry, they can be crumbled between my pointer finger and thumb. Then I cure in Glass on Glass Apothecary jars for two weeks+.

Either way, the fact that it is smoking down to white ash, more so than the same ganja left unpressed, I think has much to do with exact same reason why my bongs have never been cleaner. Seriously, 5 grams of pressed ganja make my bong as dirty and half a gram of regular ganja!

Maybe it is because, like you suggested Hempkat, that the trichomes are still in a "oily" state, because they have not been properly drying for long enough and remain slightly moist. This, combined with heat and pressure, cause the oily glands to burst and evenly soak up amongst the ganja being pressed.

So now, not only does the Ganja burn more evenly, but because it is pressed together, there is less black ash particles that create an invisible mist traveling down the inside of my Roor's diffuser, which, coupled with the smoke-oil, usually casues my diffuser to blacken up quickly.
But because the pressed ganja is burning evenly and more optimally, without requiring an external flame for each hit, what would be black ashes is burnt down to white ashes, which no longer dirty my diffuser and bong water.

Anyway, it is just a theory. Feel free to add your own explanations!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts