What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Truth on Flouro vs HID

@DBG

Do you know light output of, let's say, 23w CFL bulb? I read that HID's produce around 30% in PAR. Envirolite and nLite claim their CFL bulbs produce 100% in PAR. So what about home depot kind of cfl?

DrBudGreengenes

Veteran
Mr_Puffanpass said:
@DBG

Do you know light output of, let's say, 23w CFL bulb? I read that HID's produce around 30% in PAR. Envirolite and nLite claim their CFL bulbs produce 100% in PAR. So what about home depot kind of cfl?

I do not have that info avalible to me at this time...What I do know is that with CFL's is after using them for awhile ....they will make you feel like "You have the Sun in the Palm of your Hand"

alphacat

Update: I tried contacting them directly and their reply was to try and sell me CMH rated at 4000k instead.

"We have actually found Ceramic Metal Halide to Be far Superior to 25k CFL.watt for watt in 4K version
the CFL and the MFR is the issue..
here is a link to CMH if you have any questions don't hesitate to contact me..
http://advancedtechlighting.com/mhced17.htm"

[sigh]

Why won't people let me give them money for these bulbs? WHY? Oh well.

C

Cozy Amnesia

They told you not to get their CFLs and instead told you to go with HID? Hmmm....

HID++

DrBudGreengenes

Veteran
Cozy Amnesia said:
They told you not to get their CFLs and instead told you to go with HID? Hmmm....

HID++

You R not looking @ the Big Picture.....
Buy a CFL screw it into a Pre-existing socket(Standard size) plug it in and be done ....
The Company sold you a Bulb.

Buy a CMH Bulb.....
You will need a New Socket (Mogel Based)
you will need a Ballast (1 for EACH bulb)
You will also need a reflector
The Company has now sold you a Bulb,Socket,Ballasts and reflector

Makes sense Now huh?
Call them and ONLY ask for part #'s and price's....act as if YOU are in charge,and they are there to SERVE you.....
Don't allow them to Plus sell you.....you wanna grow weed they on the other hand ONLY want your $$$$ as much per sale as they can.... :joint:
CFL's +++.....they Help you REMOVE yourself from the eyes of LEO.
Just one more Tactic we have in this WAR
They Declared it NOT me....it's a WAR ....Adapt......Improvise....and Overcome......the DEA is our ENEMY we will defeat them
"OVERGROW the WORLD.....one lil' Bathroom light bulb at a time"

obZen

46897obZen-Oct-09-08-1.JPG

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
Right on DrBud !!! I couldn't have said it better myself, cuz I had a master Hydro HID grower completely blown away by how good my Maui Waui x Tutty Fruity came out under CFL's and I saw the wheels turning in his head lol

Orestes

Well after 3 years of having the legal right to do so (cali!) i'm finally putting together a growing setup, and this thread has convinced me to go CFL. Well played, thundurkel-- and the good doctor, of course.

And naturally, I have a few good CFL questions: I'm doing a stealth-ish hydro setup--less for wont of concealment than lack of space-- which amounts to a nice sized cabinet I'm still tracking down (~~2'*3'*5'). I'm vacillating between coco slabs and hydroponics, but I only want to grow two, maybe 4 trained plants.
I'm quite curious about cfl and led growing, and really anything involving a departure from the natural process-- and the lack of heat seems important here. I'm curious as to how this can be factored into the general tolerance of plant stress, towards questions of lighting cycles and other techniques.
Also,I notice that folks seem to stick with a top-down lighting arrangement, but with the ease of CFLs it seems quite easy to envelope the plant in a full cloak of light; I could mount the lights on sticks with simple bases, 3-4 lights per pole and 3-4 poles evenly arranged around the plant. Would the plant just shoot out in every direction? this could be good or bad, given constraints of space. It would be easy enough, but I would not like to jeopardize my first grow right out of the starting gates.

Oh, and here' a good question: With the CFLs, what's the difference between using a couple dozen lesser bulbs and a half dozen more powerful bulbs? watts =! watts, of course, so i'm inclined to believe that the significantly more expensive high-wattage bulbs might have some advantage in light quality. But I do not know!

anyway holla back, i won't have time to get the clones and do anything postworthy until next week,

thanks

edit: Lol this can't be my first post but that's what the counter says

Last edited:

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
Hey Orestes! THe bigger bulbs don't have better light! They have more heat and less lumens per watt and only 1 point of light which is a bad thing in a CFL grow when you want all the light to be evenly distributed. I would go with Coco and GH Flora Nova nutes or Fox Farm and don't get any CFL's over 65w

Orestes

Thundurkel said:
Hey Orestes! THe bigger bulbs don't have better light! They have more heat and less lumens per watt and only 1 point of light which is a bad thing in a CFL grow when you want all the light to be evenly distributed. I would go with Coco and GH Flora Nova nutes or Fox Farm and don't get any CFL's over 65w

Ahh, that's some good info. How about tubes (t5) vs. coiled cfls? It would be so easy to stand them up vertically and surround a plant, with a little cluster of cfls with conical reflectors pointing down from the top.

Oh, and any recommendations for buying? Or should I just check out the hardware store?

thanks

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
T5's are cool they are just harder to find and cost more to replace and not to mention your stuck with 2 feet or 4 feet so space is limited. I would go with CFL's and surround the plant with them and yea just check the hardware store. You want Daylight 6500K bulbs for veg/clones&mom and you want Warm White(Soft White at Home Depot)2700K bulbs for flower... hope that helps you out

error420

Thundurkel said:

Hey thundurkel, sorry to bump your thread and all but I wanted to ask you a question about your comment. Basically this is my first time growing with just CFL's, I have around 370 + watts of just CFLs. My question is you said dont get anything over 65 watts. I have 100 watt and a 85 watt I just wanted to ask you why you said this? I do notice temps are a little higher if i test the temp of my 47 watt it shows around 110degrees directly, if i test the 100 watt its only 140 degrees directly touching. I can understand the less lumens bigger bulbs might produce but is there any other reasons ?

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Thundurkel said:
You want Daylight 6500K bulbs for veg/clones&mom and you want Warm White(Soft White at Home Depot)2700K bulbs for flower... hope that helps you out

From what I can figure from this chart........

*EDIT* Chart Deleted as it's a P.O.S. Marketing Tool *EDIT*

If you can get your CFLs in the 5600K range you'll notice great growth in veg. Most long tube flouros are only available in the 6500K range.

Has anyone else used both side by side and noticed the difference?

Last edited:

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
error420 said:
Hey thundurkel, sorry to bump your thread and all but I wanted to ask you a question about your comment. Basically this is my first time growing with just CFL's, I have around 370 + watts of just CFLs. My question is you said dont get anything over 65 watts. I have 100 watt and a 85 watt I just wanted to ask you why you said this? I do notice temps are a little higher if i test the temp of my 47 watt it shows around 110degrees directly, if i test the 100 watt its only 140 degrees directly touching. I can understand the less lumens bigger bulbs might produce but is there any other reasons ?

You should be fine with what you have, I just prefer bulbs under 65w I really don't even like them cuz they are so big and produce a lot of heat and the less lumen per watt issue and the whole point of light thing too no matter what the grow cfl or hid the more points of light the better... Jorge Cervantes says so in the 5th edition of his book :joint:

error420

Hey thanks for the reply i might check out that book, but yeah I am trying to use my CFLs to the fullest I try put the CFL's all around the plants since in flower they are looking pretty well. I had a another question if you dont mind I take the fan leafs and tie like 2 of them together with string to move them out of the way of the CFL to not get burnt is this fine durin flower or will stress ?

simba

Sleeping Dragon
alphacat,
re, you contacted adv tech to buy a purp cfl. they told you to go to CMH
youll understand after my reply i hope..

adv tech tested them fully and found many many issues..
with "nlites" and there products.go read there cfl page.. bad bad lamps.. Poor MFRing.. the whole lot has issues..

"Why won't people let me give them money for these bulbs? WHY? Oh well."
because the nlite brand cfl and t5 are crap products (MFRing and results)

Drbud,
lets really look at the big pic..
the purple cfl
125 watt costs $60.00USD ish
325 watt costs $80.00USD ish
If you get the Internal Ballasted ones.
they have a rated 10k hour life.. And thats from the CHINA MFR SPEC SHEET
either one Requires a Mogul Socket. YUPS>>
both NEED a reflector cuase its cfl so half the light is outright wasted..
so cfl total cost..60+5+50=105.00USD / 10khours has a operating cost of $0.0105 cents per hour..

now cmh,
150 watt cmh 46 bucks 20khour life
150 watt ballast 45 bucks 150k hour life
medium Porcelain socket $4.00
Cheapo Reflector (HID and lot more energy thus not needing as good reflector as cfl to get better results..
so cmh total cost..46+4+46=96.00USD / 20khours has a operating cost of $0.0048 cents per hour..
and lets not forget the ballast is reusable..
but lets make this more accurate because the ballast lasts longer than the bulb and doesn't require whole new ballast each time.. so its greener there to..
ballast 150k hours / 46 cost = 0.000307 per hour
bulb 20k hours / 46 cost = 0.0023 per hour
total of 0.002607 cents per hour vs the cfl at $0.0105 cents per hour
thus saving 0.0102393 by using CMH over the Nlite CFL..
not counting the electricty saving by cmh because its more effeciant to harnes the energy and point where you want with cheapo reflector.. cfl is HUGE and requires HUGE reflector and still PHhh.. uck..

as far as cfl being undercover vs cmh.. a 150 cmh is used everywhere Ellite lighting ops.. so u just say i need a hall cmh 150 watt lamp.. for the showroom..that simple..

honestly adv tech would have profited more on the CFL than the CMH and ud have to come back to get another one soon..
also look at adv tech site on cfl. they show a pic of one that is going out of wack color wise.. (and it was a Premium set of samples.. and they failed out)

also niltes cfls dump some kind of powder that gets on the plants and reflectors.. they caught this before consuming there harvest and had to throw it for safety sake.. they aint smoking plastic bits..

the only Flor lamps i like in the horti or aqua are below and 5k t5ho premium lamps not the horti ones..
go for PHILIPS PURE Phosphorus lamps.. PURE COLOR>> and there soon to come philips T5HO GROW/Aqua Lamp Best Purple Ever..
otherwise GREAT info here...

Last edited:

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
Simba - Thanks for clearing that up I wouldn't recommend the NLite CFL's to anyone after reading that and it's my thread! The Phillips Pure bulbs sound good I had looked at those before and there are GE ones used in hospitals that are bright as hell and have better lumen ratings than normal t5s.. I'm still not too sure about t5's yet I have a 4ft sunblaze 54w 6500K lighting my bonsai moms and I also have 2 17w T8 7800K in there but I was getting faster growth with 4 26w Daylight CFL's and yea I know it's more watts so I'm going to get 2 2ft sunblaze strips and see if my growth rate increases...

Latest posts

Latest posts