What's new

The Toking Tent

ScrubNinja

Grow like nobody is watching
Veteran
Thanks for stopping in, cozy and of course cheesebuds! I'm learning new camera tricks all the time. :)

Thanks mate, I had read about chlorine earlier but the thing is, I've never used any kind of chlorine or tap water before so this is the worst, and only real problems I've ever had in coco. "Toxic symptoms are similar as is found with typical salt damage. Leaf margins are scorched and abscission is excessive. Leaf/leaflet size is reduced and may appear to be thickened. Overall plant growth is reduced." even sounds like my problems a little. Although I'm pretty sure the main cause of my probs was the lockout. Look, basically I don't have a clue LOL. But point taken, and it's a good one. I don't think a lot of people realise it can be a good thing. :yes:

Would you say that the whole screen needs to be filled in before flipping to 12/12 or should I flip a little earlier to accommodate the stretch?: The magic question! Depends almost totally on the strain, lighting, and headroom. If height's not a problem I think the closest I can get is saying flip just before the screen is full (say 90%) for an indica. Maybe 75% full for something with more sativa in it, although that's a guess. In short the only way to do it is to do it but once you've done it, it becomes easy, lol. There's simply too many variables to give a solid figure but it adds to the excitement! I wish I had vegged for an extra 5 days or so in this case.

The cooler master fan is great although it's sorta low on CFMs. Very high on static pressure so good for filters (or the convoluted air paths in a PC). It's not exactly silent on full blow just so ya know, but silent-ish when speed dialed down. It worked well in the early days of the tent :) I was surprised cos I think it's like 40cfm. That was before the carbon filter. Good fan. On full, face down, it almost floats away like a hovercraft. Try that with an axial.

Safe growings~

ScrubNinja

Veteran
I picked up my pl-l hood today! It's 220w (4 x 55w) and it has Philips vegging bulbs installed. It doesn't say on the bulb but they look to be around 6000k. It's gonna be perfect in the new cab! Hopefully the other kelvins aren't hard to find here.

Harvesting by trichome colour is extremely confusing. I could swear there are less amber trichomes today than yesterday. Any time I inspect manually with the loupe they're very hard to find but I can only inspect the front buds. If I stick the camera in and take a million shots I occasionally see a fair few on one little budleaf prong. As for the Pure I'm pretty sure most trichs are milky now but I can even find some rare amber trichs on it if I look hard enough.

I'm gonna stop using molasses on the shivas soon. The leaves are turning a brighter shade of green. Buds are still swelling. Hairs are dying. It's a beautiful thing to watch really, like autumn in the corner of my room. :) The smells have stayed fairly constant throughout but they've really solidified now - the shiva skunks are a solid berry/fruity/sweet sort of smell which isn't really directly berry or fruity smelling at all. Not "skunky" at all either imo. The pure is sickly spicy. A hint of diesel to the spiciness perhaps. Again, not really the smell I associate as skunky.

I'll post more trich shots in the coming days and maybe you guys can see what you reckon. Thanks for reading. :woohoo:

ScrubNinja

Veteran
Not really I'm afraid, lol, I took it straight away and stored it elsewhere until I need it (pre-harvest jitters heheh). I got it from a friend who had barely used it. It's approximately 60cm x 40cm (24" x 16") and probably 2 or 3" tall. It's white on the outside and it has the dimpled reflective metal inside the hood. This thing is built for scrogging! The reflector itself is not efficiently designed at all - it's just a wide flat sheet that angles on the end around the edge bulbs. I'm gonna check D.I.trY's reflector thread today and see if I get ideas. I'll get some pics of it regardless so you can check it out. Peace!

ScrubNinja

Veteran
Day 59 - 12/12

A few quick pics before bed. I worked out the lights give me false trich colour readings on camera sometimes so that's eased some confusion.

Shiva (you might just see some amber)

A random frosty shiva

Finally a decent shot of one of the top Pure buds.

I look at the whole lot and think....maybe 2 oz or so including lots of popcorn but I'm notoriously inaccurate at guessing. I'll be able to weigh it all up anyway. Wooosh :abduct:

ScrubNinja

Veteran
Day 61 - 12/12

Day 9 - flush for Shiva Skunks
Day 5 - flush for the Pure

Shiva trich shot

Soaking up the sun

And here is the pl-l hood

Finally measured up the hood and the new cupboard thing and the hood is a perfect fit with just enough space to move up and down. Fantastic right? Well, no, because the power lead is on the end and it won't fit, lol. I'm going to take it apart later and see if it can be moved. I'm sure it can be. Another option is making a custom reflector as I have a huge sheet of that dimpled metal stuff.

Oh I also got a thin sheet of glass today just on a whim that it'd be the right size and it actually was close to perfect! What I was thinking was put the glass on, and it'll leave a gap at the tips of the pll's - this is the intake into the hood. On the top of the hood above the bases of the bulbs would be the exhaust hole. I read that tip about cooling them in that direction from hydro-soil so thanks if you're reading!

The inside cupboard dimensions are 575mm across the face, 550mm deep, and 715mm tall. Walls are 18mm thick except the rear wall which is thin stuff. It has two doors with those good hinges that spring shut. I think I've come up with a good enough scrubber design. Gonna try to go with PC fans for this sucker. Will save the Westaflex for the wardrobe I'm building next.

Back to the plants, I'm only giving them ph'd water now (EC 0 to 0.1). There are more nutrients than I thought in molasses (in fact I get EC 0.3 for my mix) and I read that some are responsible for bad taste! I know that people get good tasting buds from flushing all the way with molasses so it's probably dicing straws, but I'm thinking in the future I'll use molasses all thru flower and first week of flush, then last week of flush just pure water. Think about it, it makes sense! :tongue: Any comments?

C

Cozy Amnesia

Woah, that pl-l hood is bad ass! I'm sure you can relocate the power cord no problem. And if you can add a glass shield to make it air cooled, then it would be the most perfect micro hood...ever!

About the molassas, I've always added it all throughout the flush and my buds tasted great, but I didn't test it against a control group so I can't really make a comparison.

Aerohead

space gardener
Veteran
Oh I also got a thin sheet of glass today just on a whim that it'd be the right size and it actually was close to perfect! What I was thinking was put the glass on, and it'll leave a gap at the tips of the pll's - this is the intake into the hood. On the top of the hood above the bases of the bulbs would be the exhaust hole. I read that tip about cooling them in that direction from hydro-soil so thanks if you're reading!

Yes, the sockets get pretty hot on those PL-L's while the end of the tubes are barely even warm. I doubt you will need the glass as those lights are pretty easy to keep cool. That's a very nice light, love the reflector, that should give you some nice smoke!!

K.J

Kief Junkie's inhaling the knowledge!
Veteran
Very nice reflector. I've thought about using these PLL's as side lighting, love the reflector though.

C

Cozy Amnesia

Yes, the sockets get pretty hot on those PL-L's while the end of the tubes are barely even warm. I doubt you will need the glass as those lights are pretty easy to keep cool. That's a very nice light, love the reflector, that should give you some nice smoke!!

Yeah but then you can let the buds grow up into the glass of the hood and not have to worry.

Aerohead

space gardener
Veteran
Yeah but then you can let the buds grow up into the glass of the hood and not have to worry.

That's a good point but I have noticed that my colas are about 3mm from the bare tubes and no burns on them. The only part of these bulbs that burn the plants from prolonged contact is that last 4" towards the socket. I would only sacrifice the lumen drop through glass if I was using Co2 and needed a sealed cab, or just could not cool it any other way.

ScrubNinja

Veteran
Wicked, thanks for all the input fellas. I live in a tropical area so I'm thinking it might pay to utilize the glass. We'll see how it pans out :yes:

Here's the insides of the hood. The stickers on the ballasts are peeling off and look like they've been affected by moisture or heat. The guy using it wasn't using any fan (!)

Should be very simple to carry out the planned mods as you can see! Here is the whole cupboard with the light sitting on top. I have to take the doors off before it'll fit in. :wallbash:

That shelf is nailed in from the outside and probably glued, so the current idea is to cut it out with a jigsaw. That'll give me a 3 or 4 cm wide strip around the cab where I can mount scrog netting, as long as they didn't use ultra long nails. The scrog racks I posted earlier are a poor size as I could only fit one in. I have the perfect screen material. BTW I'm dealing with 3.35 sq ft so that'll give me 65.6 watts per sq ft. I also picked up a 13w fluoro the same length as the pll's, so I'll probably utilize under-screen lighting again.

For fans I'm planning on going with:

I'm hoping I can afford to dial the speeds down to make it reasonably quiet if it's crazy loud. Doesn't have to be absolute stealth, just comfortable and lots of flow. More weed updates tomorrow night. :)

Aerohead

space gardener
Veteran
Wow, that is going to be one sweet cab!!

Making me jealous, can't wait to see that bloomin...

ScrubNinja

Veteran
:D Oh yeeaaah! It's amazing everything fits each other so well, just good luck!

I'm thinking about dwc for it - 1 plant. I have a question if anyone can help. Say if I did go dwc, I'd have a tub or bucket, with a lid, and the net pot would be in the lid and then the scrog screen would some inches be above that.

Well, how can you access the bucket to add or check nutes? Wouldn't the stem of the plant foul any movement? I've seen containers with double lids that fold up either side of centre. Would that be a good selection?

ScrubNinja

Veteran
Thanks as always, growmeds! Here's a sketchup of what I'm aiming for (it's to the correct scale too!) until I post pics tonight.

picture.php

The exhaust hole in the cabinet itself is right above the stacked fans. There'll be flexible ducting from the top of the light to the cab's exhaust hole, with the fans inside.

Carbon filter will sit on top of the exhaust hole and will be similar to the one I built for this grow (but probably double the surface area again) and I'd quite likely have another thermaltake pulling after the filter, as the two stacked ones are actually pushing. I think pushing would be ok considering the filter has several times the surface area of a consumer carbon filter.

The fan pulling would hopefully be able to be not used, or dialed right down since it's not enclosed. Maybe run it only for lights on. The others will be muffled by the carbon (sort of what I'm aiming for with that).

The intakes are 90mm pvc elbows. According to my calcs, 5 of them is equal to over 2.5x exhaust, so the 6th one is hopefully gonna cover me for anything, ever. They'll be covered in aquarium filter foam too so extra will help.

Electrics are going to be wherever I can damn well squeeze them! :D Maybe outside on the floor in front of the intakes... behind the cupboard.

The trichs are looking very good now! I'm seeing more ambers at last and they're looking close to the "when to harvest" trich pictures. I'm hoping for Wednesday, for the Shivas. Plants still look rather green though. That may take it a little longer.

ScrubNinja

Veteran
Day 63 - 12/12

Carpet of undergrowth:
picture.php

Carpet of...overgrowth? :D
picture.php

Harvesting buds is all well and good but I'll be most happy that I get the chance for new camera angles on these babies!!! haha
picture.php

These are more advanced than most of the rest but it gives a good idea

I can see the finish line! :woohoo: