What's new

The Speakers Corner's Funny Pictures Thread

Hempy McNoodle

jnWnHRhOvXsA.jpeg

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
probably a poacher that is worried about how it will look when he is caught by infrared game cameras. pretty sure animals don't have infra-red vision...okay, some spiders and snakes, but other mammals see pretty much like we do. deer etc cannot see red light, but detect the color blue VERY well.
Well it/he (see how I did that LOL) is obviously not a poacher. Deer can also detect hunter's orange. That one is a no brainer, as it sticks out like a blotch (sore thumb) as it is simply not found in nature.

As a bowhunter, I was once getting ready to fire, when the jaws of the release opened up with a dull thud. That buck (spike) look straight up at me (25' up a tree). He dodge his hed side to side, up and down etc... Fuck that tree doesn't look normal, its got a big bump on its trunk.

The stare down (as a bowhunter you are up close and personal, so don't look at them (in there eyes that is), lasted 2-3 min.

Because I was drawing my bow from a sitting position, I rested the bow on my knee (vertical) and placed my hand in my jacket Napoleon style as my right hand landed there when the release popped. I knew if he came back, he would look straight up. Sure enough, he came back from the opposite direction, he had circled me and never got a wiff of me. As he walked in, he look straight up, similar to cocking your head right or left when something catches your eye. He remembered.... Yup, that lump is still there. So he proceeded to the apples, he was at the proper angle for a shot. The 1st apple he took tentatively. He lowered for another, heard a noise (not from me), and paused. Meanwhile, I was in shooting position (release back on the string, looking like Napoleon LOL). His concentration when he bent down was on the "act" of picking up an apple. 2 sec later it was all over, never knew what hit him and expired some 35 yds from where he was shot. A properly tuned and "fitted" bow, will line up perfectly (with proper shooting for, of course) with where you are looking (the sweet spot). It is just a matter of loosing your arrow :)

The key... don't silhouette yourself against the sky, blend in. The only time you have to wear hunter orange (bowhunting), is to and from your stand. I wear the smallest dossard possible and often forget (oops) to put it on. First 2 weeks of bow season no rifle hunters in the woods. I had greater success with a bow than I did with a rifle. Having to get up close and personal, teaches one to pay attention. Closest shot 12 yds, furthest 27. Outside of shooting my moose in NL, I hung up my rifle. No challenge! I had to quit my beloved sport in '06. Having to wear bifocals, I had to shoot without glasses. When I could no longer magnify my peep (got an extra 2 yrs with that mod), my hunting days where over. I could either see my pins or the target, not both clearly. The animal deserves my best. I quit hunting :( I was a 92% archer, but only a 60 odd% as a traditional shooter. My best was in competition, was 68%. Whch means I have a 38% chance of missing, a quick, swiff kill. I simply continued to shoot tournaments (as a traditional archer) for another 10 yrs.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
science says that deer cannot see hunter orange well. researchers say that deer can see short-wave colors like blue & green very well; long-wave ones like red and orange poorly. turkeys and other birds see colors very well, yet i have had entire fall flocks of turkeys walk within 10 feet of me wearing the orange pumpkin suits with no sign of fear. but i attribute that to not moving at all. it is motion, i believe, that alarms most game. camo fools the hunter, not the game. an exception would be the oval shape of a human face, nothing like it in the woods. millions of deer have been/are killed without camo by hunters, myself included. but i do mask my face whether bow or firearm hunting.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
science says that deer cannot see hunter orange well. researchers say that deer can see short-wave colors like blue & green very well; long-wave ones like red and orange poorly. turkeys and other birds see colors very well, yet i have had entire fall flocks of turkeys walk within 10 feet of me wearing the orange pumpkin suits with no sign of fear. but i attribute that to not moving at all. it is motion, i believe, that alarms most game. camo fools the hunter, not the game. an exception would be the oval shape of a human face, nothing like it in the woods. millions of deer have been/are killed without camo by hunters, myself included. but i do mask my face whether bow or firearm hunting.
... as I. AFA hunter orange goes here, I believe the operative word is "well". No they don't, but they do know that is a "foreign" colour in their living room :)
Movement is always a dead give away. I once had a partridge walking all over one of my legs, sitting against a tree covered with forest decompositions.

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
Well it/he (see how I did that LOL) is obviously not a poacher. Deer can also detect hunter's orange. That one is a no brainer, as it sticks out like a blotch (sore thumb) as it is simply not found in nature.

As a bowhunter, I was once getting ready to fire, when the jaws of the release opened up with a dull thud. That buck (spike) look straight up at me (25' up a tree). He dodge his hed side to side, up and down etc... Fuck that tree doesn't look normal, its got a big bump on its trunk.

The stare down (as a bowhunter you are up close and personal, so don't look at them (in there eyes that is), lasted 2-3 min.

Because I was drawing my bow from a sitting position, I rested the bow on my knee (vertical) and placed my hand in my jacket Napoleon style as my right hand landed there when the release popped. I knew if he came back, he would look straight up. Sure enough, he came back from the opposite direction, he had circled me and never got a wiff of me. As he walked in, he look straight up, similar to cocking your head right or left when something catches your eye. He remembered.... Yup, that lump is still there. So he proceeded to the apples, he was at the proper angle for a shot. The 1st apple he took tentatively. He lowered for another, heard a noise (not from me), and paused. Meanwhile, I was in shooting position (release back on the string, looking like Napoleon LOL). His concentration when he bent down was on the "act" of picking up an apple. 2 sec later it was all over, never knew what hit him and expired some 35 yds from where he was shot. A properly tuned and "fitted" bow, will line up perfectly (with proper shooting for, of course) with where you are looking (the sweet spot). It is just a matter of loosing your arrow :)

The key... don't silhouette yourself against the sky, blend in. The only time you have to wear hunter orange (bowhunting), is to and from your stand. I wear the smallest dossard possible and often forget (oops) to put it on. First 2 weeks of bow season no rifle hunters in the woods. I had greater success with a bow than I did with a rifle. Having to get up close and personal, teaches one to pay attention. Closest shot 12 yds, furthest 27. Outside of shooting my moose in NL, I hung up my rifle. No challenge! I had to quit my beloved sport in '06. Having to wear bifocals, I had to shoot without glasses. When I could no longer magnify my peep (got an extra 2 yrs with that mod), my hunting days where over. I could either see my pins or the target, not both clearly. The animal deserves my best. I quit hunting :( I was a 92% archer, but only a 60 odd% as a traditional shooter. My best was in competition, was 68%. Whch means I have a 38% chance of missing, a quick, swiff kill. I simply continued to shoot tournaments (as a traditional archer) for another 10 yrs.
For Christ's sake. That meme has absolutely nothing to do with DEER hunting.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
No need i have the wisdom to see the humor in this world.
Why you so combative tho?
what have i said that you consider "combative"? keep in mind, many of these threads are an internet "cage match":...if you are sensitive, i would go elsewhere. i thought my "waving" at you in last post was actually fairly friendly. i did not go after you, you tried (and failed twice) at coming after me...which is why Stempy McPoodle "likes" you... lie down with dogs, wake up with fleas...

Hempy McNoodle

what have i said that you consider "combative"? keep in mind, many of these threads are an internet "cage match":...if you are sensitive, i would go elsewhere. i thought my "waving" at you in last post was actually fairly friendly. i did not go after you, you tried (and failed twice) at coming after me...which is why Stempy McPoodle "likes" you... lie down with dogs, wake up with fleas...
Geez, did they put rabies in the vaccines or something? All the Biden voters have been superduper angry lately it seems. Always lashing out...:smoker:

growshopfrank

Veteran
Perhaps combative was a tad strong but brother you have a vibe in your posts like there is a chip on your shoulder.
This is the net so carry on as you choose.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Perhaps combative was a tad strong but brother you have a vibe in your posts like there is a chip on your shoulder.
This is the net so carry on as you choose.
thanks, i was going to regardless. "vibe" ? as in "i disagree" ? I and others on here been pissing on repetitive bullshit brushfires (commonly known as mis-information) by the same damn illiterate clods for a couple of years now. that can give a person a certain "vibe" as you call it.

Latest posts

Latest posts