What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Shocking Ingredients in BEER!

shithawk420

Veteran
Obviously no one in there right mind would want to ingest beaver anus.but are there any known health risks?if it's in processed foods it can't be good for you

billy_big_bud!

Proud Cannadian Cannabist
Veteran
i have long been sceptical of the whole natural flavor ingredient in things i consume. this thread has given me the opportunity to revisit that line of thinking. i put a pretty big effort into eating healthy and it is frustrating to think about all of the strange shit sneaking its way into my body under the guise of being something common place. moving forward i am making a conscious effort into not consuming beaver anus or the anus of any other flavorful creatures.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Obviously no one in there right mind would want to ingest beaver anus.but are there any known health risks?if it's in processed foods it can't be good for you

Castoreum is derived from a gel secreted from the anus of a beaver. In the animal kingdom, beavers use this ‘goo’ as a reference to other animals. The message is how beavers essentially “marks their territory”. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) classifies castoreum as a “generally regarded as safe” (GRAS) additive. Modern food and perfume manufacturers have been using it for almost one hundred years.

Though not currently used in any form of western medicine, castoreum has been used for centuries to treat the symptoms of many illnesses. Some Ancient Romans believed that by simply inhaling the fumes giving off by castoreum, abortion could be induced. Fourteenth-century Swiss occultist Philippus Aureolus Theophrastus Bombastus von Hohenheim (Paracelsus), believed it could be used to treat seizure disorders, like epilepsy. In the 21st century, through the methods associated with eastern medicines, many people use castoreum to treat pain, anxiety and sleep disorders. There has been no evidence that indicates any negative side effects or contradictions with medications.

As odd as it may sound, the anal secretions of these beavers are used in some foods, for flavoring purposes. Castoreum is prepared into a powder form and added for use as ‘natural flavoring’, which is better known as vanilla flavoring. It is sometimes used in the same manner with strawberry, as well as raspberry flavorings. There is no evidence that ingestion of castoreum through food products has any adverse effects to humans.

Castoreum is also used as a method to induce desirable pheromone responses in the brain. For anyone that has cleaned the inside of their car and used the ‘New Car’ air freshener, the fragrance you were smelling was likely that of a castoreum extract. The alcohol-dried castoreum sacs give off a fragrance described by people as resembling that of “fresh leather”. Due to its ability to trigger pheromone reactions, designers use it in the production of perfumes and colognes. Castoreum is also a common fragrant additive in some body soap and fragrant products made for use on the human body. There has been no evidence that topical application of castoreum products causes any harm to the body.

Dog Star

Veteran
Its organic,dont panick... ;)

From now on will have pair of beaver balls in pocket to get lucky....

Cvh

Supermod
Oh. Is that where the authentic 'Road kill' skunk scent comes from? :biggrin:

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Malt, water, yeast, and hops. Occasionally malted wheat with some dried orange peel and a bit of coriander. There ya go.

Emperortaima

Namekian resident/farmer
Thanks for the informing post Gypsy! As a person whom drinks rarely I now know which beverage to choose and will now avoid old flavorful drinks from coors and who ever makes mike's hards

DocTim420

The Doctor is OUT and has moved on...
Funny how certain things from yesteryear can still be on point today.

For ions in early America, water was soooo contaminated that very few people actually drank it. Instead they drink ale (2-3% alcohol...lol, barley flavored water??) because it was "filtered". Those that drank water got sick, those that drank ale did not. Everyone drank "barley flavored water", children, adults, infants...and if you were lucky enough not to die of a natural death (infectious diseases were the primary cause of death 200 years ago), you lived a full life to a ripe 80 plus years.

When WC Fields was asked why he didn't drink water, he replied, "Water, water--I don't drink water, fish fuck in it."

Latest posts

Latest posts