What's new

The seed intensive method/broadcasting

Henrik

Hello!

Spring is here once again. I have a lot of seeds of some strains im developing and are going to broadcast seeds instead of transplanting plants. cant find any growlogs this way, exept one from Dyr and Tanska ..? Done this a couple of times but with a strains that didnt finish, now i have at least 2 that finish... So i wonder how many seeds per square meter? im thinking 20-50? or i can ask how many females is optimal to end up with per square meter? Would be nice to end up with ladys with only a nice cola..? Have been looking at seed production for industrial hemp and they say 30-180 seed per square meter... 180 is alot...

Happy for 420 folks!

someotherguy

Veteran
Hello!

Spring is here once again. I have a lot of seeds of some strains im developing and are going to broadcast seeds instead of transplanting plants. cant find any growlogs this way, exept one from Dyr and Tanska ..? Done this a couple of times but with a strains that didnt finish, now i have at least 2 that finish... So i wonder how many seeds per square meter? im thinking 20-50? or i can ask how many females is optimal to end up with per square meter? Would be nice to end up with ladys with only a nice cola..? Have been looking at seed production for industrial hemp and they say 30-180 seed per square meter... 180 is alot...

Happy for 420 folks!

i'll let Dyr and Tanska know your question and either bring back an answer or one of them will stop in and help you out, i'm strictly indoors myself.

peace, SOG

dyr

ICMag Donor
Hey there SOG and Henrik :wave:

You sound norwegian btw Henrik? As you might have read, we sow well over 1000 seeds when we do this, on an area a bit smaller than 10 square meters but without removing plants they stood too close together in the end. I think you have to find out what's best for you but 20 - 50 seeds per square meter doesn't seem bad to me. :) I would say at least 30 so if only 10% survives till the end it's still ok;) all depends on how many seeds you got, and how many you will risk losing. Personally I would prefer 4 females per square meter, but most growers would say 1 female per m2 I think or more. We usually grow them pretty close together also when we transplant from pots.

:tiphat:

Henrik

Hei Dyr! takk for svar:)
Right on norwegian;) yes, read i think was 13-1500 seeds on the big thypoon spot, that is maybe the spot your talking about.? how many plants do stand in the end, ish? I got a few thousand so i belive i have the stock that i can do whatever and not worry about losing seeds, will make more this year too:) When you say 4 females per square meter is that sensimilla, or for seeds or for both? I grow for both here;) I also read in your thread that you sow in late march! cold/frost something to say about that? masse spørsmål, litt mass må jeg innrømme, men må prøve å suge til meg mest kunnskap av de som har mer erfaring på akkurat dette området!

Old rod do you transplant or sow direct in the soil?

Thanks for the answers!

OldRod

I transplant them.
Sometimes in prepared native soil but sometimes in my soil mix.

You can not expect so much of sowing them directly.
Ratio for fem / males are 60% / 40 %

M

MrSterling

Keep us updated on this, will you? I've wondered why more people don't broadcast and then let a plot go native in more remote areas. If you had a stable enough line you'd be fine for quite some time without the potency going down. You said you've been working on strains. Have you been working them for finishing outdoors at a proper time for your lat?

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Hello!

Happy for 420 folks!

go easy with them man ,
having done it a few times i recommend much less seed ...

heres a pic of a direct sown patch ..
picture.php

and now the problems we encountered ...

firstly dont overseed ,,
my friend was tossing them around like birdseed and as a result they kept coming up ,
we pulled them all out , but more would come ,,
eventually after the females were flowering , still males came up unnoticed ,
resulting in seeded bud , and more seed escaping ,
theres still plants coming up everywhere in there ..

thin them out ..
if you dont they create a canopy covering the whole area ,
which leads to lack of airflow ,
and eventually mold ...
cut back the 180 seeds per square metre to 10 , and replant some if you need ...

OLDproLg

Veteran
WOW!!

Cool patch their man!
Looks like you may have the opportunity to develope wild weed easy hahah!
Thanx for sharin the pic...well done anyhow!

Henrik

Oldrod: actually my experience shows that they can becom pretty large actually, but of course not as big if you vegg them for å couple of months! Are going to grow in the mountain again and cant transplant so many big plants up there.

Mrsterling: Sure, unfortunately not sure if I can promise pics... Are going to do some selection on potency... I have som projekts. Some strains i want to acclimate. And are making some with choosing different strains, crossing and then selection for differents values. This year most of the seed grows are one that i want to select toward a mazar i sharif(afgan) grand,grand parent(or something like that, cant remember at the moment) and another to a sativa(leb27) they are both crossed more then one time, three, four...

Donald marrald: done lst or is the plants very low? cant see if they are very bushy or many small ones. Have some problems about replanting, even tho its a good ide. So are going to sow every thing in one round.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Donald marrald: done lst or is the plants very low? cant see if they are very bushy or many small ones. Have some problems about replanting, even tho its a good ide. So are going to sow every thing in one round.
yes i trained them outward to maximize yield ,
i did note that without transplant shock they were larger and yielded better ,
the only problem we encountered was over seeding initially , and perhaps not removing enough plants for airflow ..

bogatin

go easy with them man ,
having done it a few times i recommend much less seed ...

heres a pic of a direct sown patch ..
View Image

and now the problems we encountered ...

firstly dont overseed ,,
my friend was tossing them around like birdseed and as a result they kept coming up ,
we pulled them all out , but more would come ,,
eventually after the females were flowering , still males came up unnoticed ,
resulting in seeded bud , and more seed escaping ,
theres still plants coming up everywhere in there ..

thin them out ..
if you dont they create a canopy covering the whole area ,
which leads to lack of airflow ,
and eventually mold ...
cut back the 180 seeds per square metre to 10 , and replant some if you need ...

Ahhh
down onder strikes again :)

I just smoked a 3 year old C99 bud.

Thanks!

Henrik

about training, branching and no branching , that is where my question to this season are. I want max yield in per square meter. Since i grow off my property and are not going to do so much after the seeds are in the ground I don necessarily have a problem with the number of females(the goverment owns the propety). So what i want to learn this year is, do I get more buds with many females with no branching and only a cola, or with less females that are branching "more"? So Im gonna try grow outdoors like they to indoors under a sea of green.

What you say about transplant shock, i have noted too! I vegged for some weeks last season and they didnt grow any particulary bigger then the directly sowed, actually the oppsite. After what i have learned for some season is, if i want to vegg i want to do it over a couple of months and transplant bigger plant, not 20cm+... Then you get huge plants with a lot of branching and buds, but hard to grow this stuff guerilla style in the mountain, especially with the transplant. But of course this is the dream, hehe.

I think i will try different amounts. Some with alot of seeds, another ones with less, and try to find the ideal.

bogatin, would be cool to hear your experience and what you will learn this season;)

Last edited:
That's one helluva field in that pic. I can understand your difficulty controlling males and hermis in such a dense population, but that same density obviuosly leads to huge harvests. Oft heard, "The knife cuts both ways." ~There is NO way that I could EVER play that big in this hostile environment! I've been reading a bunch on "air-layering", or whatever you'd like to call it (for producing genetic replicas of select plants, in field). I don't personally have enough time into it yet, but if you had (clones of) strains that you'd previously flowered you would be far more dialed in to that plant's needs and harvest window.
~I don't know shit and am dreaming forward for myself. Take none of what I have said as advice, dig? ;) Peace.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
So what i want to learn this year is, do I get more buds with many females with no branching and only a cola, or with less females that are branching "more"? So Im gonna try grow outdoors like they to indoors under a sea of green.

;)
that was what i wondered also henrik ,
personally i think i got more per square metre by thinning out,
the plants grew very fast direct sown ,
they outdid the other plants i had potted and transplated by half as much again , in a shorter time aswell ,
other than stray pollen being a problem,
i did find that airflow was restricted the way i grew the plants, or allowed them to grow ,
and with extra humidity i suffered badly with mold problems ..

its possible i may have gotten as much by having less plants and more airflow ..

Henrik

Stray pollen means random unwanted pollen, right?

now i have sowed a few places. Different amounts of seeds and very different microclimates. would be interesting too see about the mold issue because some are in very windy places and some are in not so very windy spots.. Also the mother of one of the strains i grow (leb27) is very mold ressistant. By sowing early and packed together i have also notice that a lot of the lower part of the plant has no leaves, just stem. they got taller to in my experience. Thinking that could be too my advantages because of airflow. Also a bit worried if you bend them to much that they get too close to the ground, alot of moisture, bad air circulation.. Had a few plant molding away last year because of this.

More later...

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Yes your right , the bending etc that i did made the plants closer to the ground and likely aided in the easy spread of mold ,
sometimes we forget about airflow outdoors , assuming there will be enough of course ..

i think your approach has a good chance of success , i hope you will keep us linked to the grow when it happens , ,id like to see how it goes ..