What's new

The Search for Trip Weed

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Looking nice fella. Love those foxtails and tiny calyxes! Be patient with those BHs, this strain is known to be a bit sterile and a hard one to breed with. Not sure if it's because of the males, females or genetics but even when heavily pollinated, only very few seeds end succesful. That's why even making new batches of seeds is a pain in the ass! So keep an eye on that.

:)

Mustafunk,

You are right. I made seeds easily with the NepalJam, but I've been hitting the Bangis with Bangi pollen many times more, but am getting 1/50th the seeds. I'm guessing by the dying pistils. I think this is all the more reason I am glad I crossed some Bangi branches with the NepalJam pollen. I can't be sure anymore that the few seeds I may be seeing on the Bangi x Bangi branches are not from a few stray pollen grains from the NepalJam pollen. NepalJam pollen seems virile.

The Bangi Haze plant I grew indoors was very productive, but the three I am growing outside look far less productive. They are different individuals, and in a different environment. The NepalJam looks tremendously productive. I thought it was going to have skinny long buds, but they are starting to really fatten up. So long and fat may be in the outlook.
:biggrin:

ThaiBliss

Read through this thread twice now to make sure I don't miss any of the valuable information. Thanks to everyone who has contributed to the cause. Although I don't have the experience that everyone here does with growing I would love to be a part of the search. The whole reason I started growing was to find the weed that I remembered from my earlier years. I remember from my younger years how different the buzz itself was. Seems like these days all you can find around is sleeping medicine. And from my experience all the "big hype" strains are tainted with the downer side of mj. (Not that there is anything wrong with that. It has its place) ...however I too seek the mental clarity of the weed that made me who I am today rather than the fog. That being said, as soon as I get done with my current project (slh) I will begin aiding in "the search." gonna order some beans from ace. Some malawi, zamaldelica, and find a good thai strain. From what I've read that's a pretty good place for me to start. I too am limited in space but will do my best to contribute what I can. Thanks again thaibliss/everyone else for the inspiration and the point in the right direction. Also id like to ask anyone with experience the pros/cons of the zamaldelica fem vs standard. Both sound quite amazing!

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
I remember from my younger years how different the buzz itself was. Seems like these days all you can find around is sleeping medicine. And from my experience all the "big hype" strains are tainted with the downer side of mj.
A lot of breeders include Afghani#1 and similar indicas to shorten flowering time and the size of the plants. It is just easier to grow the indicas than the landrace sativas.

The problem is that you can't get the narcotic stone out of the background once you do. The only exception being Jack Herer/Jock Horor - it is officially a skunk#1/haze/afghani hybrid, however you never notice the indica at all. There may be more hybrids like that, however I just grew out Mekong High from Dutch Passion, and you can really notice that is a SE Asian landrace, however at the start of the high, you really notice the indica component dragging the soaring sativa high down.

A lot of people like indicas, personally I like sativas, the psychedelic side of the high, and if not psychedelic, then it had better be euphoric. Add an indica stone, and you can get an effect that is vigorously depressing. :) The worst experience I had like that was the Aurora Indica (Afghani#1 backcross of Northern Lights, which itself is a cross of Afghani #1 and Thai). The Afghani drags you down, and the Thai means your mind is racing ahead while you're down. Not a pleasant experience - to me. :)

ThaiBliss

Veteran
A lot of breeders include Afghani#1 and similar indicas to shorten flowering time and the size of the plants. It is just easier to grow the indicas than the landrace sativas.

The problem is that you can't get the narcotic stone out of the background once you do. The only exception being Jack Herer/Jock Horor - it is officially a skunk#1/haze/afghani hybrid, however you never notice the indica at all. There may be more hybrids like that, however I just grew out Mekong High from Dutch Passion, and you can really notice that is a SE Asian landrace, however at the start of the high, you really notice the indica component dragging the soaring sativa high down.

A lot of people like indicas, personally I like sativas, the psychedelic side of the high, and if not psychedelic, then it had better be euphoric. Add an indica stone, and you can get an effect that is vigorously depressing. :) The worst experience I had like that was the Aurora Indica (Afghani#1 backcross of Northern Lights, which itself is a cross of Afghani #1 and Thai). The Afghani drags you down, and the Thai means your mind is racing ahead while you're down. Not a pleasant experience - to me. :)

Like you say, there are rare exceptions to the Afghani x Sativa type crosses that do not have a couch-lock/drag ass effect. I have a SAGE cutting that is a good example. People have hoarded most of them out of existence. Meanwhile... over time, people have become accustomed to couch-lock and even judge potency by the strength of the couch-lock effect.

I love the Bangi Haze, because they are early, have Indica like fat buds and resin, but are energetic and euphoric. It has Nepalese in it. I have heard it speculated that breeds of Nepalese ancestry had made there way to Mexico long ago. It makes sense given that many heirloom Mexican strains are known for their happy highs. All I can think of is blending S.E. Asian, Mexican, and Bangi for a breed I like for outdoor in my area. If my outdoor Bangi Haze is as good as my indoor test, I'm abandoning my outdoor line that I have been breeding for 30+ years and starting from scratch.

ThaiBliss

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Greetings,

I'm posting an update, just because I do about once a week, and things are changing fast this time of year. I've been hitting two of the Bangi Haze plants with pollen every morning and every evening for about a week, just to get a few dozen seeds. It scared me to have that male around dropping pollen so long, but everything looks fine.

First up is a couple of pictures of the garden showing how the leaves have been dropping and the plants thinning out. A few have been put under a bondage regime. Smoke from all the fires around here are washing out the color of the sky, and everything else:

picture.php

picture.php

Here are a couple of pictures of the skinny Bangi Haze that smells of perfume, lemon, spice, and a touch of menthol:

picture.php

picture.php

Here is a picture of a NepalJam bud:

picture.php

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Last, but not least, a couple of pictures of the fat leaf Bangi Haze, that smells more hashy, spicy, and onion:

picture.php

picture.php

Resin is laying up on all three of these.

ThaiBliss

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Particularly nice,
loving the garden thaibliss,
and the selection of course , nice form man ,
when should we be booking our sampling trip ?? hehe ...

idiit

Veteran
A lot of people like indicas, personally I like sativas, the psychedelic side of the high, and if not psychedelic, then it had better be euphoric. Add an indica stone, and you can get an effect that is vigorously depressing.

^^ exactly what happened to me when i took my burmese to overripe. not just indica genetics can do this. the sativas have to be harvested before amber for best up high effects ( from my experiences). red haired oaxacan same thing but not nearly as pronounced. most of my pure sativas come in so late that i can't take them to the "overripe" stage so not usually a problem.

DenverJim

a friend of mine who smokes continuously mixes different types together. For example Apollo 13 ( which does very well here in the lowlands of Colorado). with Exile and he callsit a mombo combo. Mostly these mixes cause interesting effects. I like sativas also. Been working on Swazis Roidaberd (red beard, nirvana standard, swazi highland from BC and Durbans DP, locally obtained clone. The clone flowers very well here.This strain makes sen and dp's look like amatuers created them. But we are talking clones vs seeds. The nirvana standard (not sold anymore GOT them for $15 in 2011 or so ) makes fine hash and is a good nice sativa' The red beard takes 10+ wks but I have been crossing them back and forth for years. I hate key boarding. I have some pics but have no clue how to post them.
Right now I have some haze#1 N starting out side I planto bribg them inside when the weather gets colder. I read somewhere that some tropical plants flower early if started u-in the cold. My biology expert with a current education tells me I'm nuts and have no clue. But I'm a curious bastard. I did grow nirvanas Mexican (Eldorado) last winter got 2oz of of a 2fter in a gal pot took it to 12 wks but it was done in 9.5 I cut partiality dried then froze it remands me of the early 70's in high but the taste of the frozen is better. Some may not like to here this but the best high I got from a sativa WAS jAMICAN I went there in 1/73 to Negril a fishing village at the time stayed for 3wks and smoked mostly leaves

DenverJim

cont (didn't now at the time ) When smoking spliffs with the locals I got a trippy high we relieved the parionia buy drinking over proof rum. At any rate the weed that reminds me of that high is Marley's Collie. I got the seed in a pack of mixed indoor strains for $70. It was well worth it. Kept it around for a couple of years. this weed makes me laugh what more to say? Later folks, intresting thread

ThaiBliss

Veteran
DenverJim,

Thanks for dropping by and posting. Did you mean that you were in Jamaica in 1973? That was about the time I was smoking Jamaican Ganja, and remember it as the very best weed, better than Colombian, and as good as Thai Stick or Sumatran.

Jamaican is next up, so I wanted to hear that.

ThaiBliss

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Hi Thaibliss,

Are you talking about Double Jam? If not which other strains from Jamaica are there available?

Siever

I have the Jamaican that is referred to as 60's Lambsbread from a private collector, one of the parents of the Double Jam. I've heard good things about Double Jam.

I can't help myself from referring to the 60s JLB as Jamaican ganja, since that is what we called it way back when...

ThaiBliss

Koondense

Veteran
Cheers ThaiBliss,
I feel the urge to share some impressions on the MuayThai I'm growing.
Last week I took a small shaded branch for a tiny sampling, very fluffy buds and medium dense small calyxes, still vibrant green color, mostly white stigmas, she still has some time to go, probably end of month or even further-weather depending.

So the thing is, this is something totally different from any herb I ever smoked so far. First I must say there is not much on offer in this region, mostly homegrown skunk-ish widow-ish and critical-ish stuff, sometimes early picked outdoor afghans and hybrids. Most weed here is based on some Dutch and Spanish commercial varieties, to put it short.
Well this lady, she smells of something far more complex than other available stuff, latest comparison was done with fully done critical and mazar buds, she blew them away so easily. Smelling of fruits, spices, flowers, pine, lemon and catpiss + other stuff comes to mind, so nice and stimulating it's hard to put out of the head, and she's not nearly done!

Coming to the effect, I can feel it fast, in minutes comes to full power and then just keeps the head bouncing in the middle of a pillow fight:) She delivers a kind of middle strenght, wavy, warm and happy high which lasts for 2-3 hours already.

When I took the first smoke I was later driven in a car as passenger and usually I enjoy watching the scenarios out of the window, well this time I had a feeling of flying in a floating car from a cartoon, outside everything was like on-screen fiction. Felt like being in one of those amazing BBC/Discovery/NG documentaries about nature. What an amazing feeling!

I'm now anxiously looking forward for this plant to finish and see what more can she deliver.

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Cheers ThaiBliss,
I feel the urge to share some impressions on the MuayThai I'm growing.
Last week I took a small shaded branch for a tiny sampling, very fluffy buds and medium dense small calyxes, still vibrant green color, mostly white stigmas, she still has some time to go, probably end of month or even further-weather depending.

So the thing is, this is something totally different from any herb I ever smoked so far. First I must say there is not much on offer in this region, mostly homegrown skunk-ish widow-ish and critical-ish stuff, sometimes early picked outdoor afghans and hybrids. Most weed here is based on some Dutch and Spanish commercial varieties, to put it short.
Well this lady, she smells of something far more complex than other available stuff, latest comparison was done with fully done critical and mazar buds, she blew them away so easily. Smelling of fruits, spices, flowers, pine, lemon and catpiss + other stuff comes to mind, so nice and stimulating it's hard to put out of the head, and she's not nearly done!

Coming to the effect, I can feel it fast, in minutes comes to full power and then just keeps the head bouncing in the middle of a pillow fight:) She delivers a kind of middle strenght, wavy, warm and happy high which lasts for 2-3 hours already.

When I took the first smoke I was later driven in a car as passenger and usually I enjoy watching the scenarios out of the window, well this time I had a feeling of flying in a floating car from a cartoon, outside everything was like on-screen fiction. Felt like being in one of those amazing BBC/Discovery/NG documentaries about nature. What an amazing feeling!

I'm now anxiously looking forward for this plant to finish and see what more can she deliver.

Koondense,

Wow! That really sounds good to me, and trippy. I'm glad you have been able to find something like that. To me, that is what smoking ganja is all about. Please continue to keep us posted. Is there a chance you could get a close up picture of one of the buds?

So, is Muay Thai an offering from a seed company? Although I have always been reluctant to grow auto flowering strains, I think this is one that I should try. It would probably take me some getting used to how to handle it. It may be easier than crossing Bangi Haze with something more powerful and looking through only the early offspring for ones that have increased in potency. This would all be so much easier if I could grow 10,000 at a time and cut down all the ones that look not early enough.

My medical card limits me to 6, so I need ones that can get big.
:wallbash:

I guess at heart, I'm a "real" breeder wannabe.

ThaiBliss

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Having time to go into my garden in the morning reduces my stress and frustrations. I take pictures every week, and while it may look to everyone that things have not changed much, I still want to share them here while documenting my grow. I like to look back at the thread and remember how things went.

First off is the overall garden:

picture.php

Here is a couple of pictures of one of the Bangi Hazes that I don't share very much. It is significantly later than the others, has been falling over a lot, has really leafy buds, and not as pretty of a plant in my opinion, but it is finally starting to show some good bud development:

picture.php

picture.php

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Next up is Nepalese Jamaican. I really like this plant because of the vast quantity of branches that are loaded with clean, easy to trim buds. It also smells very interesting. It is kinda funky body order with spice and sweetness. I took a cutting of this one, and I have lately been smelling a hashy aroma from my cutting collection that I believe is coming from the cutting of this plant.

Here are some bud shots:

picture.php

To tell you the truth, I'm not positive that this one is the Nepalese Jam, but I think it is, and I like the picture, so I'm including it here. It is the only plant that has buds that curve upwards near the top:

picture.php

Here is my favorite Bangi Haze plant. I know I should not judge until after the smoke test, but we all have favorite plants as they grow, and I'm just admitting it. I no longer think it looks like it has the most Sativa traits, but I love the yellowish color, and the perfume, lemon, spicy, menthol aroma. It also has very clean and nice fat buds:

picture.php

Man! I love that plant. It is also the only plant that has not shed any branches, and no branches have flopped over. The only plant that has a single trait that is more rugged is the Nepalese Jam drought resistance trait. I have now and then gone more than a week in 100 degree weather without water, and the only plant that did not droop at all was the Nepalese Jam. There is a hose connection about 10 - 15 feet away from the watering zone that drips when watering other garden plants. It may be the reason for it never drooping. But if the roots reach out that far through that poor soil, then the plant gets credit for that anyway.

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Next is what I have been calling the fat leaf Bangi Haze:

picture.php

picture.php

I have not yet figured out how to capture the resins sparkling in the sunlight. When I'm at about the right angle, then the shade from me covers the bud and ruins it. I can easily view it without my camera, but I soon as I'm holding the camera, the angle seems to become more critical. Out of all my pictures this morning, this is the only one that captured a sense of the resin coverage. It still does not look nearly as resinous as it does when I'm looking at the buds. All these plants have copious quantity of resin glands:

picture.php

I really need a better camera. I was spending weeks researching what camera I should purchase for 5 or $600.00, and my wife undercut me by purchasing a cheaper point and shoot camera for my birthday. I need one that has better macro abilities She is a frugal and wily one.

I have to reiterate how much I love the Bangi Haze. It may not have the knock you into orbit potency that I have been searching for, but the quality of the high is extremely good. This is in a plant that is early enough for my local climate, and it has most of the traits from Indica style plants that I like, big fat buds with densely packed calyxes; strong aroma; extreme resin coverage. The combination of these traits with the quality of the high is really an amazing thing.

All the Best in Your Searches,

ThaiBliss