What's new

The Rolling Stone 500 Greatest Songs of All Time

Pinball Wizard

The wand chooses the wizard
Veteran
I like ..."can't you hear me knocking"..."gimme shelter"...and too many others to mention... :headbange

...oops...I thought we were talking about the Rolling Stones...will have to study this list further...when I ain't fucked up... :nono:

Last edited:

flubnutz

stoned agin ...
Veteran
"hey jude", yuk. it was incredibly huge but i would've taken ten other beatles songs over that one. guess it depends on what you think makes a song "great". some other good ones on the list ... "gimme shelter", yeah, "can't you hear me knocking" ... and i always liked "let it bleed", sounds like they smoked some serious weed before cutting that one.

thcbound

I am shocked they rank 30 songs higher than Stairway to Heaven... yes I know its overplayed but it should be top 5 without a doubt... I mean comeon, Aretha Franklin's Respect is #5?

RS is a joke

edit: And talk about kissing the Beatles' asses... jeez

Last edited:

NOKUY

Veteran
the rolling stones fucking SUCK!.....just looking at mick jagger makes me wanna puke.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I love the Stones & have been to seven of their
concerts over the years 60s/70s/90s none in the
80s as I'd turned my musical focus toward jazz.......

C

Classyathome

I'll betcha Beethovens Unfinished doesn't even make the list...

Of All Time - my ass...

G

Gimme Shelter is probably my favourite Stones track, but there are many I love. John Lee Hooker's 'Boom Boom' should be in any top 10 imho.

Don Dump

the man doctors said would never moonwalk again
Veteran
rolling stone magazine has no idea what music is.

anyone who knows anything about anything knows the greatest song of all time is the chaos path by arcturus.

seriously though, those songs aren't that great

sirgrassalot

Domesticator of Cannabis
Veteran
Number 1 with a Bullet!
38360stones68.jpg

Mick Taylor shines on his work with the boys.
Woody has his charm but he's no MT.
38360MT73.jpg

Brussels Affair-Get it!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brussels_Affair

Lists don't ever seem to reflect my choices.

VictoryGardener

holy hell
Beatles love fest.... no Grateful Dead and only one Allman Brothers Band song... I just think they deserve a little bit more recognition...

Remember, this list is coming from the same magazine that had Clay Aiken on the cover for over a month, so....

Its basically just a popularity contest....

The list should be titled: 500 most over- played songs on classic rock syndicated radio

That's a bit more realistic.

The truth, I think, is that there is absolutely no way you could make a list of the 500 best songs ever made... the list is based on some guys opinion! this list came from a very small group of people in a closed room that decided their music opinion was more valuable than everyone else's...

Or was it from a poll??? I dunno, I didn't spend much time on the site.. thought it was rubbish....

well, you can't please all the people all of the time

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Classyathome said:
I'll betcha Beethovens Unfinished doesn't even make the list...

Of All Time - my ass...
by honorable mention bro.......

#97 Roll Over Beethoven - Chuck Berry

flubnutz

stoned agin ...
Veteran
for chuck, i always liked "teenage wedding".
allman bros: never liked "whipping post"; "one way out" and "statesboro blues" are great; all of 'em on the fillmore live album, that's a gotta have.
stones went downhill after jones died and taylor left.

G

Whipping Post and Black Water by the Allman Bros are two of my faves, never really gud the Dead, Trucking, Shade of Greay Casey Jones, good tunes but the Dead aren't in the same league as The Stones, Beatles, etc. for me. Just personal preference. Money by Pink Floyd needs to be near the top too. Bohemian Rhapsody of course, needless to say these lists are always popularity contests!

G

British_Hempire said:
Whipping Post and Black Water by the Allman Bros are two of my faves, never really gud the Dead, Trucking, Shade of Greay Casey Jones, good tunes but the Dead aren't in the same league as The Stones, Beatles, etc. for me. Just personal preference. Money by Pink Floyd needs to be near the top too. Bohemian Rhapsody of course, needless to say these lists are always popularity contests!
to each his own, But I am a Dead head!

1G12

Most of the time these "best of" list are really kind of silly. Just so subjective and a matter of personal opinion. I say just listen to what ever you like...don't worry about it and enjoy. There is, at this time, a massive catalog of all different kinds of music.....something for everybody.

iseankimi

That list is a joke. Smells Like Teen Spirit as #9? Much love and respect to Nirvana (RIP Kurt), but COME ON. It's ludicrous how much bias RS shows in all these "greatest of all time" lists as well as the rest of their magazine.

flubnutz

stoned agin ...
Veteran
1G12 said:
Most of the time these "best of" list are really kind of silly. Just so subjective and a matter of personal opinion. I say just listen to what ever you like...don't worry about it and enjoy. There is, at this time, a massive catalog of all different kinds of music.....something for everybody.
too true; something to bear in mind when we read all the "what's the best sativa" or "which strain gets you the highest" threads.

Relapse

Yea, while I also don't agree with the order that the songs are in, for me in my twenties it re-introducced me to some artists I had forgotten that my dad listened to when I was young. Still good music.

Latest posts

Latest posts