What's new

The ripe banana method to get more females.

Kev555

Here is a thread I saved from OG. I don't know if it works but my seeds are currently in a banana-filled bag. You can't loose much to try. I'll post my female male ratio once I sex my plants.

O.K Ive read alot of posts with regards to male plants from people obviously not intent on breeding & worried about having them.

The best way to avoid males in the first place is obviously to feminise your seeds before you start which you can do by using a commercial feminiser like sensa soak which contains 'Ethylene' or birth control pills that contain oestrogen etc.

But here is a cheap, very effective method I use which ime sure some will be familiar with but alot of you wont.

O.K Before you germinate your seeds, place your seeds in a sealed plastic bag containing banana peels for 14 days. Wrap the banana skins in tissue to absorb any moisture they give off. Keep the bag in a warm place & air the seeds regularly, replacing the skins as they ripen. Ethylene, a naturally occuring gas given off by the ripening bananas causes feminisation.

I have been using this method for two years now & has produced a 100% success rate on apx:30 unfeminised seeds from three different strains.

Anyway, the seasons well under way now but I hope this might be of some use to anyone that wasnt aware next year.

All the Best R.D

So, you wrap just the bannana peel in something that absorbs any excessive moisture so that the seeds don't actually absorb any of that, but adsorb the ethylene gas as that will permeate a tissue, right? You don't actually want the seeds opening and sprouting root tips during this process, this is only done to ge Ethylene gasses to them? Then you just take out the seeds and germinate them by glass of water/presoak method and/or wet paper towel method or place directly in soil or whatever you do, correct?

Why do you exchange the air? Is it for the seeds to get air or just so that things don't get moldy inside the bag? I'm gessing some humidity is O.K. though.

Thats right. What I do is this..

Peel 2 bananas and seperate the strips. i.e you should have about 4 seperated skins from each banana.

Wrap each skin in 'one' layer of tissue & lay them inside a carrier bag, then lay one piece of tissue over all the skins & place the seeds on top & seal the bag & leave it in a warm place (room temp is fine).

You then need to open the bag once daily for about 20 minutes to release excess moisture, much the same as when your curing your buds.

You then need to change the skins for fresh ones every three days as they will turn brown & rotten after that.

You leave the seeds for about two weeks so youll need to change the skins 5 or 6 times.

I myself have never bothered with germinating my seeds in tissue or leaving them in water etc. I just plant them straight in to pots of moist compost.

No theve never split open, its not damp enough for that.

As for the science behind why chemicals like ethylene & oestrogen alter the sex of the plant I really wouldnt know, but this methods worked well for me so I cant dismiss it. If people want to argue otherwise thats also fine because I dont have solid facts on the issue & ide like to be enlightened.

The only other way I know of making feminised seeds is to treat a female plant with a chemical called Gibberellic acid which will make it produce male flowers, so you can polinate another female producing seeds with only female chromosomes but apparently this method has been known to produce hermaphrodites.

I think the whole issue of feminising is still very shady, but this banana method has worked for me & it doesnt do any harm to try it for whatever reason & I just feel 30 out of 30 unfeminised seeds turning out female has got to be more than a coincidence.

Anyway any input for or against feminising is most welcome, I dont pretend to be an expert.

Ethylene is a natural plant hormone that has been used for decades to promote uniform fruit ripening.
Getting fruit from tropical growing areas to distant markets in Europe and North America is only possible because the timing of ripening is managed with ethylene. In order to best utilize ethylene,, it is important to understand both the basic principles of how ethylene affects fresh produce and the most effective treatment methods.
Ethylene is a simple molecule composed of two carbon atoms and four hydrogen atoms. While produced in varying amounts by all plant tissues, its production rate increases during ripening in those fruits that have a distinct ripening phase such as banana, tomato, cantaloupe, and avocado. Amounts applied as low as 1 part per million (ppm) stimulate further ethylene production by the fruit, speeding up and synchronizing the ripening process so that the fruit are of more uniform ripeness.
Timing is everything, for if the fruit is picked before it is mature, it will not ripen normally even when treated with ethylene. The majority of roundand roma-type tomatoes that are fieldgrown in the U.S. are harvested at the green stage and gassed with ethylene. With proper harvest maturity and handling, they ripen with excellent quality.
Ethylene also causes plant tissues to senesce (or age) faster by increasing fruit/flower/leaf drop in the field. During handling and shipping ethylene exposure accelerates yellowing (loss of chlorophyll) in leafy crops, softening, and necrosis, leading to increased water loss and decay, care must also be taken to avoid accumulation of carbon dioxide from fruit respiration. CO2 concentrations above 1 % inhibit ripening.
A postharvest gas application is used for degreening citrus and curing tobacco leaves too.

Kev555

Oh, and don't forget to add a piece of paper in the bag so it doesn't get too humid. All you want is the gas.

If you want to seperate your strains, what I did is I made little square envolopes with the top open, put the seeds and paperclipped them together.

For some good bags I suggest the double seal ziplock bags. They really work.

Do remember the thread about banana peels in a brown paper bag and ethylene to assist in feminizing the seeds. Wonder if it would produce any hermaphrodites from the seeds that would have otherwise likely have been males naturally? Two weeks is a good amount of ethylene exposure, so would likely do it. Tried the sensa soak a few years past and did not work so well. Will test a few seeds with this method much later, maybe give them a nice spray down with diluted kelp and let them sit dormant till ready, or do you have to sprout them afterwards right away? Would then seem like adding any superthrive or giberellic acid would be couterproductive in the way of females.

G

Awesome, wish I had done that for the last pack I bought ,all males...$150.00 seeds too!

PhenoMenal

Hairdresser
Veteran
hmmm there's also a product called "Female Seed Soak" - Ingredients: Ethylene Acid, Alginic Acid, Vitamins. and I think Dutch Master have a similar product
I bought a bottle of the stuff (it was only about US$15 or something so i figured what the hell), but I havent tried it yet.

Im still a bit skeptical, but the report above of "I have been using this method for two years now & has produced a 100% success rate on apx:30 unfeminised seeds from three different strains" is promising, so I'll start using it and see how we go ...

G

Please post your findings. I am a little worried about the bananas as they get fuzzy in my compost jar even before they get to the composter.

Andyo

Veteran
etda/feminising

etda/feminising

hey Rodney i remember using ethylene tetra diamine acetic acid.which increased the female ratio.
i found that while i had no hermies through this technique ,
i would advise agaainst this if breeding.
i produced a few sets of seeds that were 75 percent males :yoinks:

goldking

Ethylene gas

Ethylene gas

Howdy folks,anyone know if ethylene gas comes bottled, seems that would be less mess and seedling in cups could be put in bags full of gas during their first days of growth to boost the fem ratio. just a thought :)

I,ve had 100% success reversing sex of females with my homemade colodial silver solution, made Sour Diesel fem seeds and others with absolutely no hermies resulting from 100s of plants, and CS is free, when made at home.

stay warm GK

mig

i dunno if this has any correlation, but i sprouted a seed in my 12/12 flower cab, and it was fem. now i do not know if the estrogen in the air had anything to do with it...but before it was at its fourth node it had preflowers with hairs. im sort of half ass trying that 12/12 from seed post i saw...i had a late bloomer and she needs a home...so i said screw it...but either way she is a nice fem...just never seen it sex that fast...with such prominent results

PhenoMenal

Hairdresser
Veteran
Neither plants nor humans release eostrogen into the air my friend. Males release pollen however

Fresh_Kept_Carrots.jpg

Last edited:

Rosy Cheeks

dancin' cheek to cheek
Veteran
I read about this, tried it once on a single pack of seeds, but didn't notice any particular shift in my male/female ratio, 4-6 is pretty average in my garden.

It doesn't mean that I discard this theory, on the contrary. It seems to be scientifically established that ethylene does effect the sexing in Cannabis Sativa seeds, and Kev555 did a good job in outlining its properties. The female seed soak product is on the market, and even though most growers shake their heads suspiciously at it, I'll probably try it out, due to curiosity.

Personally, I'm not looking for a higher female ratio out of a pack of seeds, since I often F2 them for a larger selection - especially the high priced strains - and appreciate a 50-50 ratio. Still, to other growers this is a serious alternative to buying female seeds.

Apart from banana peels, a vide range of fruits and vegetables also produce good quantities of ethylene, such as tomato, avocado, melon and cucumber (which stinks less than ripe banana).

Ethylene, is known as a ''ripening hormone', and plays a regulatory role in many processes of plant growth, development and eventually death.
Its ripening properties were discovered by coincidence. Lemon growers would store newly harvested green lemons in sheds kept warm by kerosene heaters until they turned yellow and ripened enough to market. When new modern heating systems were tried, the lemons no longer turned yellow on time. Research soon found that the important factor in the ripening process was small amounts of ethylene gas given off by the burning kerosene in the heaters.

Fruits, vegetables and flowers contain receptors which serve as bonding sites to absorb free atmospheric ethylene molecules, and the practice of placing fruit or vegetable in a paper bag to hasten ripening is now a technique used in certain types of agriculture or horticulture.
Increased levels of ethylene contained within the bag, released by the produce itself, serves as a stimulant after reabsorption to initiate the production of more ethylene.

I have not tried it, but in theory there's nothing to contradict why it wouldn't work on the ripening process of Cannabis flowers (although, it is questionable whether it is desireable or not).

Therefore, placing decaying fruit and vegetables at the base of your plant will incresase the presence of ethylene, and will theoretically accelerate the ripening process of the buds.

If you're growing seeded plants with high levels of ethylene, then not only will it speed up ripening, but also increase the female ratio of the seeds grown on the plant.

Ethylene is a gas lighter than air, which means that it is difficult to contain in a growroom (in difference to CO2, which is heavier than air, and 'stays' longer within a confinement). The ethylene producing products should therfore be kept close to the plants, and in sufficient amounts in order to make a difference. A sealed growroom is almost a must.

Apart from ethylene, E. Galoch found that cytokinin (a plant hormone active in promoting cell division, and are also involved in cell growth differentiation, and other physiological processes) is important for the sexual expression of Cannabis Sativa:

"Transition of female and male hemp plants from the vegetative to the generative phase is associated with a rise in cytokinin level while that of male inflorescences proceeds at a decreasing cytokinin level. The activity of cytokinins apparently is associated with an enhancement of the female tendency..." (Galoch, E. 1978. "The hormonal control of sex differentiation in dioecious plants of hemp").

Plagron has produced a foliar spray called Phyt-Amin, which contains high levels of cytokinin. The cytokinin content increases the chlorophyll content in the leaf. The result of this is an increased sugar content. The plants therefore stay green for longer, have extra resistance, produce more shoots and buds and also more fruit. But according to Galoch's results, spraying your seedlings with cytokinin could also improve the female ratio of your plants.

Last edited:
D

dankiestog

cool read...Fucken nature u never know these days anything is possiable i think.....14 days they would be black & moldy ....?? i dont know thats crazy..

Kev555

dankiestog said:
cool read...Fucken nature u never know these days anything is possiable i think.....14 days they would be black & moldy ....?? i dont know thats crazy..

You need to open the bag 20 minutes everyday and change the peels every 3 days.

Thanks for the contribution Rosy Cheeks.

3chomes

Kev555, thanks for the info. Keeping some seeds with banana peels right now, will see how it works out.

sackoweed

I took anger management already!!!! FUCK!!!
Veteran
kev
howzit? great thread thanx for sharing with us all.. sounds like something lots of people will have to try.. bbl to read if more info comes up... peace..

sack

Latest posts

Latest posts