What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Real History Of Northern Lights, Written By The Guys Who Did It

CharlesU Farley

@CharlesU Farley

can we see your lines please?
i would like to see how they segregated and/or recombined.
and can you talk about the different effects and smells found within each line. thanks
This was the first time all three phenos appeared in the same grow, these are pistilate plants :

nl_reverse-engineered.jpg

I recently posted pic of five of my staminate plants on another thread, can't locate the pic right now and don't have the time or energy to look for it right now, it's getting late.

The link to my website is on my profile and will give you all the info you need, even though it'll take a long time to plow through because it's written to my kids, grandkids, and great-grandkids, not for those curious about my techniques or NL numbers.:)

There's a thread on here titled "how to get cannabis to do what you want it to do", that will go into much more specific detail and you won't have to plow for multiple _pages_ of Walls 'o Words. ;)

Kimes

There's a thread on here titled "how to get cannabis to do what you want it to do", that will go into much more specific detail and you won't have to plow for multiple _pages_ of Walls 'o Words. ;)
That was an interesting thread for sure.. so far

Last edited:

endgegner

As he says, plant the seed!

You can _never_ go wrong doing that. :)
I rather got them for my fridge, as I am only growing landraces for me medically or grow to breed (and for this I will avoid fems).
Also thinking a bit more, they are rather S1s (if Shanti still has the original NL 5), because they don't have NL 5 as regular seed. So no way that he can feminize the male pollen.
But at some point I will probably grow it or give it to a friend.

Energy Turtle

This was the first time all three phenos appeared in the same grow, these are pistilate plants :

View attachment 18993904

I recently posted pic of five of my staminate plants on another thread, can't locate the pic right now and don't have the time or energy to look for it right now, it's getting late.

The link to my website is on my profile and will give you all the info you need, even though it'll take a long time to plow through because it's written to my kids, grandkids, and great-grandkids, not for those curious about my techniques or NL numbers.:)

I wish my Grandpa had a green thumb like yours!

Dime

Sensi seeds NL x Doc Atomic NL,still has a good kick to it,never hermies and stinks.

Attachments

• 20190309_184857.jpg
    20190309_184857.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 26
  • 20190309_184931.jpg
    20190309_184931.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 29
  • 20190328_192935 (3).jpg
    20190328_192935 (3).jpg
    967.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 20190912_174532.jpg
    20190912_174532.jpg
    7 MB · Views: 26
  • 20190928_081721.jpg
    20190928_081721.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 22

CharlesU Farley

Here's the staminates on one run I did. Pay particular attention to the one on the far right, as it was the keeper for concentrating the TypeII/Indica side of NL. The one on the far left was a typical NL staminate:

1000011923.jpg

These boys reminded me of a post I made concerning modern cannabis "breeding" 😂 techniques:

"Visited their website and they're breeding methods would make fucking Frankenstein seem like a nurse's aide. More twisted, sick fuck chemical sexual manipulation that wouldn't even happen in fucking San Francisco."

Sorry, but you just got to have the boys to make the girls happy, so you can produce viable, stable offspring. ;)

CharlesU Farley

This is the Crux of the situation.

Todd has been pretty integral in the legalization of cannabis in the US. Hate him or love him dude was a Jack herer type. Did a lot of time for the plant. Got multiple clones out to the community. He's never been one to be shady from what I gather. Greg trusts him enough to get the original work out I don't understand the issue. Todd has been super transparent too. Some of those beans made it into CSIs hands too. I guess he's a piece of shit as well.
One person's opinion of the other, _both_ of which received seeds from NL Seattle Greg. This post is from 2020:

Mods, controversial link with a lot of trash talk about Sam/Hz/other shit that don't matter to me but I realize it may be like chumming the Trolls. Shitcan this post if you have to, it's not that important to me, other than the point of NL Seattle Greg's current judgment and releasing numbered seeds to these two individuals.

But pays your money, and plants the seed, it's all good with Chuck. ;)

Last edited:

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
that last link reminds me why i dont go to that place anymore ,
its full of conspiracy from folks who clearly don't read and/or comprehend so well ,

and have an axe to grind , continuing that nevil vs sam stuff over and over and over ,
seriously , such a rag of a site these days , its bloody sad to see that stuff written and watch each of them pat each other on the back for being the best at doing character assassination on a fellow stoner and someone who without their contribution, old nevil would never have amounted to much at all ....
why are people like that one wonders ??

CharlesU Farley

Just so you don't forget the good times there. :)

The forum is a shell of its former self because the _quality_ of participants, and this is kind of true and almost all cannabis fora I'm aware of, are not of the same caliber of Nevil, Shantibaba, TH, etc. Mu does outstanding job there now, it's just the quality of participants isn't _anywhere_ close to what it used to be.

I have yet to find a cannabis forum with a caliber of participants like Mr Nice in the 2010 to 2014 era. Without a doubt ICM is the best one I found so far, and I appreciate that you mods let me say what I want to say and how I want to say it. Sometimes the best form of education for a Millennial is a good slap upside the head and a visit to Reality Ranch. o_O

Btw Mr. Mallard, absolutely _love _what got you into genetics, it's intellectual curiosity that drives progress forward! How absolutely bizarre I know the color of your eyes. o_O At least back then, people said thanks. I absolutely loath the fact that I was on a self-imposed, internet cannabis forum exile and missed those discussions.

I would have _vehemently_ argued with Nevil over 24/0 lighting schedules and the use of GA3, or any other chemical/hormone to fuck with a cannabis plants sexuality, and most importantly the pump and dump method of producing the maximal amount of buds in the minimalist amount of time. Not to mention using fucking _ruderalis_ in crossings with cannabis, that you expect to get you _high_.o_O

No doubt he would have handed my ass to me but would have been a fun discussion.😂

So you'll remember the good times, not just the bad. :) There were good people on that forum, and you were obviously one of 'em:

Smokin Moose
Dec 17, 2011
Add bookmark
"The Profundity of it all!

Moose.jpg

To Donald Mallard, I stand humbled.

spa_drunk_moose_jef_ss_110908_ssh1.jpg

Today, I stand humbled. In my 35 years of growing pot, today was the first time I smoked premium Nevil's Haze bubble hash, courtesy of a generous Mallard. And of course, courtesy of the master, Nevil!
At first I thought the Mallard may simply have been ruffling feathers and beating his breast, when spruiking off about his turn out of Nevil's Haze...and MBS X Aussie Sativa for that matter.
The Moose took it all in good stride, giving credit where credit is due, but also being the hard task master when it comes to judging medicine.

Puff puff pass...and the rest is fucking history!

Like the spinning vortex that sucks you in after too much booze, my mind went into paroxysms and spun out. Total fucking under-steer. The nose dug in and the arse came round. CRASH AND BURN!!!
There I am with my chin propped on the edge of the garden bed, looking among the steaming pile of vomit for my top set of dentures. Fucking things had come loose when my mouth dried out like cotton wool!...I simply lost suction and they disappeared in a torrent of rice salad and bile. My face was grey and my lips were blue. Sweat dripped from my anguished brow, and drool from my lower lip.

I had been vanquished... and vanquished by a master.

To you Donald Mallard, I take my hat off to you"

Now that's some damn fine writing there, sometimes it's worth plowing through a Wall of Words.;)

Last edited:

CharlesU Farley

Time to interject some reality here, and my original purpose was only to quote those who were directly involved in the creation of Northern Lights, and Shantibaba ain't one of 'em. However, in doing the deep dive down the rabbit hole, the _essence_ of this guy just keeps on shining through all the _bullshit_ that is so very typical of a cannabis forum.

This came from the thread a poor way to sell seeds in my opinion, which obviously caught my attention and it speaks for itself.

Emphasis added by me for the reading impaired, tl;dr crowd:

shantibaba
Breeder and moderator
Aug 7, 2019
Add bookmark
Hi All

well i find some of the apparent knowledge of plants and vague hearsay of stories about Nevil and myself a little weird from some of the members here...and trying to tell gossip once read or apparently heard from reliable sources as truths well it is just weird to hear for me as I have been here the whole time.

It really looks like certain people have their side of a story and that is it....so be it, but please respect the forum and stop with disinformation or opinions or embellishments. If you were not physically there please keep your opinions to yourself as it is just circular discussions otherwise.

While things are as they are and have been at MNS since beginning, we have always been available and online for the growers. Nevil tried to be part of the website for a short time at my request but unfortunately he was not so relaxed with stories nor diplomatic, so we had to end things. However it just does not make logical sense to hear Nevil and I never grew a plant together since we both went from GHSco to begin MNS a long time ago before Nevil went to Australia and under duress. So please keep opinions to oneself when they do not even make sense.

There are certain characters in NL (my edit, the Netherlands not Northern Lights) who know the real stories and i never see them enter the discussions to correct things!

Until today we at MNS and CBD crew continue to breed plants and produce seeds both for ourselves and other companies. I know a lot of facts about people that i never met but it cannot or ever can be verified until i spoke directly with those people...so members please understand these things are now 30+ years old and many people are no longer with us...so concentrate on the seed in front of you and do your best with it...the rest will not nor can effect you as if you even had the real cutting in front of you, you would not even know as you have nothing to compare it with from the apparent time of inception...right!

All the best Sb

shantibaba
Breeder and moderator
Aug 9, 2019
Add bookmark
Hi All

Knowledge of historical pedigrees are very important when all parts of regulatory set of rules are verifiable. Cannabis has not nor still is botanically classified in varietal levels...so all the history of this plant is heresay...at best.

Nature created it, not man...we are merely the hand work of passing passengers who put our twist on things we select for nd the reasons we like them. It is like we all have the first clone of the original olive tree but grown in diverse weather, soil, climates, with differing food and water etc...have created so many sub species that all use generic terms to classify but are a long way from original strains. It has been an evolutionary development, rather than scientific one. Now we are moving into science and strict regulatory codes it seems a history is needed to explain how we got here. From now on we keep records but before it was individuals in pockets of the world that brought strains to the level they are...then people develop them as the specifications are revealed and understood and then desired...for certain reasons. All these pocket contributors have a certain history but it gets harder and harder to verify even single facts let alone a story when it is no longer close by.We rely on story tellers and scraps of so called facts...but remember even the bible is written by numerous people stories and someone compiling them. So at best they are nice stories based on facts that will never be verified...
I do think on both sides of this discussion and there are reasons and logic to parts ...but it is simply a person story verse another persons story with few alive from these days ...so it is a perpetual unraveling spiral and possibly like another parable to add to the Cannabible in time....all the best Sb

As the kids used to say, that's a mic drop. :cool:

Last edited: