What's new

The Pacific coast guerrilla growers thread

Cascadia

I'm thinking about doing some self-watering planters that have a small resivour attached, to make them last longer. I've been doing some sketches, started with some complicated designs, then simplified.

Here is the simple version-
34714Selfwatering_planter_with_resivour.JPG

The planter box is a 18 gallon Rubbermaid tote, and is similar to the factory made Earth box. The top part is the planter containing the potting soil, the bottom part is a water resivour. Two one gallon planters extend down from the baffle dividing the soil/water, into the water, these provide pathway for water to migrate into the planters soil.

I was trying to figure out a way to make the water last longer, making the planter deeper would just make it harder for water to soak up into the planter, and would force me to dig deeper to bury. Making the box wider would allow more water without making it deeper, but now I've increased my foot print and made it more visable.
The answer I think is to store more water in a resivor(a low profile rubbermaid tote), by placing it as shown, and conecting it with a tube. This way I can maintain the water levels in the planter longer between fillings.

This planter should provide for a decent harvest I think, and its virtually unpluggable, and reliable, a good alternative to drip systems, especially if you aren't growing a ton of bud each season.

Now I just need to figure out the best medium for the planter. I think I'll use a nice prefertilised organic potting soil in the planter, and pure peat or coco in the 1 gallon planters to provide a good wicking media.

Well guys, what do you think? I've got some other ideas concerning self-watering planters, but I like this one the best.

Last edited:

phate

Veteran
Natagonnaworrie said:
I'm in SD and here it is Impossible to get water to the plants as needed. The only successful harvest outdoors has been in Jan when there is a little Fall / Winter rain.

i just had to say something.... how did you pull off an outdoor jan harvest?

BACKCOUNTRY

Mourning the loss of my dog......
Veteran
Phate- Natagonnaworrie is in San Diego, California, his climate is nearly sub-tropical, the winters are mild enough there to allow growing pretty much year round. A plant placed out there in November would probably finish in January.

Cascadia- That looks like a workable design on the Earthbox, I am also feeling like I'd like to try a Earthbox style planter too. Looking at the pics from the link you posted, it certainly seems the Earthbox can grow some big plants, those tomatoes look awesome, perhaps it can do as well for Cannabis.

I like the idea of the extra resivour, it should allow some space between visits, perhaps 3-5 weeks or more, hell I'd be satisfied if it freed me from visiting for 3 weeks.

Natagonnaworrie

If you love life, don't waste time. For time is wh
Veteran
Yes, that is exactly right. you can put a plant outdoors here at about anytime once the days are providing 12 hours of dark. they will be smaller and take a few week longer to finish because of the angle and duration of the light they receive, but they will finish... and hardly anyone is looking for these little crops in winter.

Next year i am going to drop some thunks around june or july for a heavy harvest around January. Plus in the fall we at least get a little rain to help out with the waterings....

this one was harvested on Jan 3rd 08, it didnt get much light because it was in between some hedges but it wasn't bad. I think its weighed in a little under an ounce of sticky nugs. Not bad for a small clone and no maintenance.

one of the Kush plants

dried nugs

Cascadia

Great looking buds Natagonnaworrie! They look frosty indeed!

I found what seems to be the best website I have found on building self-watering planters, both earthbox types and 5 gallon buckets, check her out!!

http://www.seattleoil.com/Flyers/Earthbox.pdf

Here is a guy who has become well known for creating larger versions of the earthbox, check out the size of the Tomato and Corn plants!!-

http://earthtainer.org/About_Us.html

Here is a link with videos showing the build on a great looking earthbox type planter, very good quality!

http://www.tomatofest.com/tomato-earthtainer.html

LOL! I just keep adding links! Maybe I should start my own thread on these things, I can't believe these aren't all the rage here already!!

Last edited:

BACKCOUNTRY

Mourning the loss of my dog......
Veteran
You know, when Gantz first sugested these as a possibility a couple years(?) ago, I kinda Poo-Pooed them cuz I figured that growing in a container was only limiting your potential harvest, and increasing the amount and frequency of watering.
But after really looking at these again, I think this is one style of planter that may be superior to planting in the ground for some growers in some locations, especially if you are already looking for a way to extend time between watering, as it seems the system is very efficient in turning water into plant matter.

My problem is that my climate is so dry in summer, especially after a dry winter, which is like having a drought in a drought, since my summer is always bone dry. In this climate, plants in the ground need way more water to grow than is actually needed by the plant itself. This is because the native soil and plants around my holes are so dry, they actually steal much of the water before my Cannabis can use it.

With the Earthbox, only the plants planted in the box can use the moisture, there is no way for surrounding vegetation and soil to rob the precious water you bring. This efficiency of water usage is why I am so keen on them, along with the potential for long spaces between visits, which means I can space my plants out more and also increase my security. Less time at the plot gives less potential for getting caught, or having rippers and copters hunt down your weed.

west coast guerilla growers

west coast guerilla growers

san Francisco guerilla grower here, ive been waiting for a thread like this, I guerilla grow because I do not have space in my backyard for such big plants, they would get robbed, I have never grown successfully out here as marin county has a notorious history for killings, rapes, and other shit out here in the forests. the only plant that I had survive the summer turned out to be a hermaphrodite and boy was I pissed, but whatever. I may do a guerilla grow 2017 for fucks sake, the Mexicans love growing weed where I live but they always get caught cause theyre dumbasses, I should teach em how to grow. the rangers and police are abundant here in marin county. I've never done anything more than one plant. ive tried 3 plants at one time that were clones but none of them survived, bad soil, not enough water. I want to do more grows and smoke more weed but I am on probation now until may of 2017.

B

BAKED_BEANZ

, I have never grown successfully

. the only plant that I had survive the summer turned out to be a hermaphrodite ,

the Mexicans love growing weed where I live but they always get caught cause theyre dumbasses,

I've never done anything more than one plant. ive tried 3 plants at one time that were clones but none of them survived, bad soil, not enough water.

I want to do more grows and smoke more weed but I am on probation now until may of 2017.

these are 4 of your statements ........ do you see the issue here??? and your also talking about guerrilla grow. yeah you so should teach those mexicans how to grow bro . omg on top to that its a 5/6 yr old thread .