What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Origin Of Cannabis

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
Hippos made it to Columbia because Pabli Escobar brought them. I am sure if he was selling cocaine from Madagascar and he wanted monkeys they would be there.

ramse

do you mean earliest, not first?

because we've known this since Herodotus described the Scythians doing this in c. 450 bce

and the finds at Pazyryk supported his claims when they were excavated iirc in the 50s

not that this find in Xinjiang isn't amazing... it's probably Scythian (Saka) too, given that Shache nearby was a Saka city

I mean the first direct evidence... in fact, Herodotus speaks only of the cannabis seeds that were burned to produce the purifying exhalations, and the archaeological remains have confirmed it, since only hemp seeds have been found... and the ritual described by Herodotus and confirmed by archaeological excavations could have had purifying purposes only and not intoxicating.

Furthermore, it would appear that the practice of burning hemp seeds on the braziers turns out to be much older than the Scythian culture.
Charred hemp seeds were found in a burial of the Kurgan Neolithic culture, at a site near Gurbanesti in Romania, dated around 2000 BC
Other hemp seeds were found in a Bronze Age burial in the northern Caucasus region.

ROSETTI D.V., 1959, Movilele funerare de la Gurbăneşti. (Lehliu, reg. Bucureşti), Materiale şi Cercetari Arheologice, vol. 6: 791-816.

ECSEDY ISTVÁN, 1979, The people of the pit-grave kurgans in eastern Hungary, Akadémiai Kiadó, Budapest.

ramse

Then they get to the exciting stuff. In this particular find they're using hot rocks to vaporize the cannabis in their braziers. This is different then smoking and even a bit different then hot boxing. More like knife hits? You can see how this wouldn't lead to constructing pipes and bongs, it's a different way of getting high. In R.C. Clarke's book Hashish he mentions nomads in the Chitral Valley vaporizing hashish on hot rocks.

some photos from the Afghan Media Resource Center

Afghanistan Khost Province 1990 A Muj Smoking Hashish

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

ngakpa

Veteran
but poplar trees grow all around the world.

there is a row that looks just like that down the street from me.

it was for people aware that poplars are very common in Xinjiang and other parts of Central Asia

whereas Yunnan becomes subtropical, but you do find poplars there

point is, the photo is from Yunnan, whereas someone was claiming it was evidence for broad-leaflet plants in Xinjiang

therevverend

Veteran
point is, the photo is from Yunnan, whereas someone was claiming it was evidence for broad-leaflet plants in Xinjiang

Wait what? Who made that claim? The only one making a claim here is you, saying it's from Yunnan. With zero proof. I seem to remember seeing the picture in a magazine, probably Nat Geo, and I think it was Manchuria not Yunnan. But I could be wrong. And you've got me repeating myself and wasting space because you didn't read my earlier post. This is exactly the sort of pissing match you love to start.

I'd like to see pictures of narrow leaf drug cannabis grown in Xinjiang. I've seen pictures of ditchweed, seed hemp, fiber hemp, (all with varying degrees of leaf width) in Eastern China but I've never seen drug strains. The Uyghurs are known for growing and smoking cannabis and hashish and there's a trade in China's biggest cities. Good old Vavilov says they were growing narrow leaf strains and he didn't see any Afghan varieties but that was 100 years ago. And Vavilov didn't see everything. Lots of reports of hashish from Chinese Turkestan, it's made it to Amsterdam, but never any seeds. I've seen pictures of purported Cannabis Indica grown in Manchuria in the 1930s, I'm assuming for hashish. The warlords who controlled much of China from the 1910s to 1940s grew quite a bit of cannabis for hashish, but no idea what they were growing. I'd guess in most cases whatever local strains they could find but the Muslims of China must have had the good stuff.

therevverend

Veteran
Well sheeeeet boys and girls turns out it was Xinjiang after all.

https://www.weedforum.eu/wietforum/gallery/image/1696-xinjiang-early-80s/

https://www.weedforum.eu/wietforum/gallery/image/1697-xinjiang-cannabis-close-up/

https://www.weedforum.eu/wietforum/gallery/album/13-medicinale-kruiden/

Surprised my memory is that good, must have seen the article 20 some odd years ago. Shoulda' stuck to my guns, I thought it was Xinjiang but I wasn't sure at all, something was telling me it was Manchuria. And I don't like making spurious claims without references. Posted it just because it's a cool picture and I felt like trolling. I think it's likely the field is hemp but it could be drug cannabis, I'll do some more digging and see if I can find the article. Most likely High Times although I still think it's Nat Geo.

The 'poplars' aka cottonwoods are planted in rows in dry windy places to keep the soil from eroding. They also act as windbreaks to protect fields and roads, in this case the cannabis field. There is a 'Yunnan Poplar' but it looks different.

Not sure why it was so important to get sidetracked from the Origins of Cannabis into poplar cottonwood biology and Xinjiang cannabis varieties but now I'm glad we did because any info on Xinjiang cannabis is gold. This isn't the picture I recalled seeing, the one I was thinking of was of a wide leaved plant growing next to a mud building in Kashgar. Probably ditchweed and considering the main trade route from Pakistan and Afghanistan goes over the pass to Kashgar it shouldn't be surprising.

There's also wide leaved varieties in Tuva, Russia, Mongolia, Jilin, Manchuria, Korea, Japan, etc. Most of them aren't drug varieties but when ruderalis, narrow, and wide leaf varieties mix you get all sorts of funky combinations of leaf shape and size. A reason why leaf shape isn't the best way to classify strains, it's so plastic and can develop in a generation or two or disappear just as quickly.

Ngpka is right about Yunnan having all sorts of wide leaf strains, being the hot spot of cannabis diversity it is. I've seen pics of plants that you'd swear were Afghani, big plants with huge wide leaves.

ngakpa

Veteran
I mean the first direct evidence... in fact, Herodotus speaks only of the cannabis seeds that were burned to produce the purifying exhalations, and the archaeological remains have confirmed it, since only hemp seeds have been found... and the ritual described by Herodotus and confirmed by archaeological excavations could have had purifying purposes only and not intoxicating.

Furthermore, it would appear that the practice of burning hemp seeds on the braziers turns out to be much older than the Scythian culture.
Charred hemp seeds were found in a burial of the Kurgan Neolithic culture, at a site near Gurbanesti in Romania, dated around 2000 BC
Other hemp seeds were found in a Bronze Age burial in the northern Caucasus region.

ROSETTI D.V., 1959, Movilele funerare de la Gurbăneşti. (Lehliu, reg. Bucureşti), Materiale şi Cercetari Arheologice, vol. 6: 791-816.

ECSEDY ISTVÁN, 1979, The people of the pit-grave kurgans in eastern Hungary, Akadémiai Kiadó, Budapest.

hi, I don't have time to respond in detail, but two things to note:

Chris Bennett's books and other writing is confused and confusing, and it seems you might have been reading that or stuff derived from it

there is no "Kurgan Neolithic culture" or, as Bennett puts it, a Neolithic people called "the Kurgans"

a kurgan is a burial mound - it's a Turkic word for them

for Herodotus, you need to read the account(s) of cannabis in the Histories in context:

the circumstantial evidence that the Scythians and other Iranic steppe cultures were smoking and drinking cannabis to get high is overwhelming...

there are a lot of other related finds, plenty of other historic material, and new ones appearing regularly, eg this in Xinjiang and a while back in Stavropol

Hrpuffnkush

Golden Coast
Veteran
Well sheeeeet boys and girls turns out it was Xinjiang after all.

https://www.weedforum.eu/wietforum/gallery/image/1696-xinjiang-early-80s/

https://www.weedforum.eu/wietforum/gallery/image/1697-xinjiang-cannabis-close-up/

https://www.weedforum.eu/wietforum/gallery/album/13-medicinale-kruiden/

Surprised my memory is that good, must have seen the article 20 some odd years ago. Shoulda' stuck to my guns, I thought it was Xinjiang but I wasn't sure at all, something was telling me it was Manchuria. And I don't like making spurious claims without references. Posted it just because it's a cool picture and I felt like trolling. I think it's likely the field is hemp but it could be drug cannabis, I'll do some more digging and see if I can find the article. Most likely High Times although I still think it's Nat Geo.

The 'poplars' aka cottonwoods are planted in rows in dry windy places to keep the soil from eroding. They also act as windbreaks to protect fields and roads, in this case the cannabis field. There is a 'Yunnan Poplar' but it looks different.

Not sure why it was so important to get sidetracked from the Origins of Cannabis into poplar cottonwood biology and Xinjiang cannabis varieties but now I'm glad we did because any info on Xinjiang cannabis is gold. This isn't the picture I recalled seeing, the one I was thinking of was of a wide leaved plant growing next to a mud building in Kashgar. Probably ditchweed and considering the main trade route from Pakistan and Afghanistan goes over the pass to Kashgar it shouldn't be surprising.

There's also wide leaved varieties in Tuva, Russia, Mongolia, Jilin, Manchuria, Korea, Japan, etc. Most of them aren't drug varieties but when ruderalis, narrow, and wide leaf varieties mix you get all sorts of funky combinations of leaf shape and size. A reason why leaf shape isn't the best way to classify strains, it's so plastic and can develop in a generation or two or disappear just as quickly.

Ngpka is right about Yunnan having all sorts of wide leaf strains, being the hot spot of cannabis diversity it is. I've seen pics of plants that you'd swear were Afghani, big plants with huge wide leaves.

Xinjiang has a long connection border to kazakhstan , i.e. afganica , WLD , china must have all Afghanica , WLD , NLD , hybrids galore

ramse

hi, I don't have time to respond in detail, but two things to note:

Chris Bennett's books and other writing is confused and confusing, and it seems you might have been reading that or stuff derived from it

there is no "Kurgan Neolithic culture" or, as Bennett puts it, a Neolithic people called "the Kurgans"

a kurgan is a burial mound - it's a Turkic word for them

for Herodotus, you need to read the account(s) of cannabis in the Histories in context:

the circumstantial evidence that the Scythians and other Iranic steppe cultures were smoking and drinking cannabis to get high is overwhelming...

there are a lot of other related finds, plenty of other historic material, and new ones appearing regularly, eg this in Xinjiang and a while back in Stavropol

hi nagkpa,
I have a couple of Bennet books, but I have yet to find the time to read them... I gathered this information mainly from the studios of Giorgio Samorini an Italian ethnobotanist...

I know what a kurgan is... and they are an essentially cultural phenomenon

not that Wikipedia is the most authoritative source... but

Wikipedia Italy:

Kurgan Culture

The term kurgan culture indicates the set of prehistoric and protohistoric cultures of Eurasia (Eastern Europe, Central Asia and Siberia, up to the Altai Mountains and western Mongolia), which used to bury the high-ranking dead in burial mounds, built starting from from 4000 BC about and particularly in the Bronze Age.

or maybe I don't understand what you want to tell me...

Last edited:

ngakpa

Veteran
Xinjiang has a long connection border to kazakhstan , i.e. afganica , WLD , china must have all Afghanica , WLD , NLD , hybrids galore

the entire concept of WLD is dubious, and especially dubious in the context of landraces

as said, there's zero evidence I'm aware of for for broad-leafleted plants in Xinjiang, and likewise in Kazakhstan

if anyone has any serious evidence for them, I would genuinely like to see it

ngakpa

Veteran
Kurgan Culture

The term kurgan culture indicates the set of prehistoric and protohistoric cultures of Eurasia (Eastern Europe, Central Asia and Siberia, up to the Altai Mountains and western Mongolia), which used to bury the high-ranking dead in burial mounds, built starting from from 4000 BC about and particularly in the Bronze Age.

fair enough, it does seem this idea has been resurrected by a few academics, ie that there is a single people/culture responsible for those finds

it's a very dodgy idea though...

therevverend

Veteran

funkyhorse

Hi Therevverend
I had the chance/opportunity/luck during my life to be in a lot of different places of the globe and one of them was Manchuria.
While I was there I sampled flowers and hash made from manchurian strain by other people and also I cut myself some feral plants first week of october before the freezing cold arrives, dried and smoked them 13 years ago. They grow in the wild anywhere in Manchuria and you can get as much as you want if you are there at harvest time end september/beginning october

Out of the three chinese landrace varieties(Dali, Xinjiang and Manchurian), the only one with a mild psychoactivity is Manchurian. Dali is hemp. And landrace Xinjiang would be very close to Dali but the hybridization that took place before the chinese curfew of Xinjiang improved the quality of the xinjiangese plants and up to 18 months ago it got much better than the manchurian I tried back then.
I doubt manchurian would get hybridized and change much because it is a very difficult temperature and land and I dont think many strains will adapt and survive there

therevverend

Veteran

Well, no. Not the steppe people The evidence for steppe people 'smoking' cannabis isn't there, they were burning hemp seed. The claims of high amounts of THC, as far as I can tell, are bad data, unverifiable. This is why I quoted the article earlier about the Pamir finds, I'll re-post it.

Archaeologists had made claims of ritual cannabis burning in Central Asian sites as far back as 5000 years ago. But new analyses of those plant remains by other teams suggest that early cannabis strains had low levels of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the plant's most powerful psychoactive component, and so lacked mind-altering properties. One academic who works in Central Asia said he and colleagues tried to smoke and eat wild varieties—but got no buzz.

Vavilov and everyone else has found nothing but Cannabis Sativa var. Spontanea, in other terms, hemp ruderalis, from the Atlantic Ocean to the Tian Shan and Altai Mountains. The stuff doesn't get you high. Here's a link to a chat I had the other day in the Ace Seeds Zamaldelica thread about the stuff.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=8611272&postcount=20

And our discussion, Yoss mentions it contains genes going back at least 150 years from the various hemp farms in the region. The stuff has been growing since the Ice Age and is most likely the stuff the Scythians were burning.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=362337&page=3

I understand samples have been tested in Russia, purportedly showing high levels of THC. I've already questioned the veracity of these claims, I noticed one sample sent to police narcotic labs to be tested. I'm not putting down Russian science in general, which is pretty great, but some of these guys are dodgy. If they can get in the news with evidence of golden bongs and drug orgies it could lead to a big fat grant.

Since all the local stuff sucked could it have come from further east. Maybe, but where? No evidence of drug cannabis being grown before 2500 years ago. Of course this is science, tomorrow someone could dig up a vape pipe and dabs in a Scythian grave next week and history will change but not likely.

I've gone on and on about this but I'd be very careful about using the term 'smoking'. The Afghans in Ramse's picture are obviously hitting the stuff coming off the brazier. The earliest stoners were most likely not doing this. They'd be tossing their stash in the brazier then kicking back and probably drinking a beer or mead. Do we refer to incense sticks as 'smoking'? Or when the campfire drifts and blows smoke in your face it's not smoking either. Smoking is direct inhalation and some of the best evidence for ancient bong hits are earth bongs.

https://www.thecannachronicles.com/earth-pipe/

Interesting that cultures so diverse, from hippies to bushmen, to Turks, to Afghans construct the thing and it seems like it could be really ancient. Maybe the purported pre-Columbus bong points found in Africa were parts of an Earth Bong? Too bad the documentation is all post-tobacco like everything that has to do with real smoking. I'd love it if they found a fossilized Ice Age Earth Bong.

funkyhorse has a spectacular aura aboutfunkyhorse has a spectacular aura aboutfunkyhorse has a spectacular aura aboutfunkyhorse has a spectacular aura aboutfunkyhorse has a spectacular aura about
Hi Therevverend
I had the chance/opportunity/luck during my life to be in a lot of different places of the globe and one of them was Manchuria.
While I was there I sampled flowers and hash made from manchurian strain by other people and also I cut myself some feral plants first week of october before the freezing cold arrives, dried and smoked them 13 years ago. They grow in the wild anywhere in Manchuria and you can get as much as you want if you are there at harvest time end september/beginning october

Out of the three chinese landrace varieties(Dali, Xinjiang and Manchurian), the only one with a mild psychoactivity is Manchurian. Dali is hemp. And landrace Xinjiang would be very close to Dali but the hybridization that took place before the chinese curfew of Xinjiang improved the quality of the xinjiangese plants and up to 18 months ago it got much better than the manchurian I tried back then.
I doubt manchurian would get hybridized and change much because it is a very difficult temperature and land and I dont think many strains will adapt and survive there

I've been meaning to question you about Chinese cannabis, you know more then I'd wager everyone else on this site knows collectively. A psychoactive strain from Xinjiang or Manchurian landrace would be one hell of a prize for it's early flowering time and our general ignorance about all things from that part of the world. Romulan which is a topic these days is purportedly part Korean which is close.

There's quite a few myths and legends about ancient cannabis cults in the Far East, Japan for instance. Combining Taoism, Buddhism, and shamanism. Probably quite common before religion was formalized and used as a tool by governments. Here's a link to the only psychedelic samurai sword fight in a ganja field I've seen on film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6Kc_-q6PJc

Samurai Champloo is excellent. We're getting off topic here, there's a bunch of other info on Chinese cannabis, Xinjiang, Manchuria, shamanism, traditional Chinese culture I want to post. I'll need to strengthen my cultivation by loading up on 5 Cold Food Powder and start a thread about it, hopefully in the next couple days and I'd love to wring you for more info Funkhorse.

Hempy McNoodle

We may never no for sure, but I can't help but think that Cannabis originated closer to the equator. Perhaps sub-saharan africa or southern asia. I find it likely that Cannabis pre-dates the end of the last ice age and was able to spread north as the ice sheets moved north. It makes less sense, to me, that it was some sort of tundra plant that just appeared out of nowhere and started adapting to warmer climates.

therevverend

Veteran
find it likely that Cannabis pre-dates the end of the last ice age and was able to spread north as the ice sheets moved north.

Yeah that's how it worked but not quite so far south, not all the way to Africa. During the Ice Ages cannabis grew in refuges, along with the other northern plants and animals. Interbred and mixed, then as the ice sheets expanded and retreated it expanded and constricted it's range. There were a few hot spots, China to the east, and Iran and the Caucasus in the West, that cannabis retreated to. These are the spots with the most genetic diversity.

One other thing I should say, for instance about the range of cannabis expanding and contracting across Europe during the ice ages, it's the 'scientific consensus'. What the majority of scientists think they know. Some of this stuff is more contested then others, maybe 99% of scientists or 60% of scientists. Evolution for instance, is the scientific consensus and it's very very unlikely it's wrong. Global warming is supported by most of the data. Other stuff is in more of a grey area, the data points one way but it's not completely one sided.

If you want to disagree with the scientific consensus, for instance that cannabis grew in North America pre-Columbus, that's cool we all have our own theories about stuff. But you should know the evidence is very very weak. And the more often you disagree with the scientific consensus the harder it is to have a discussion because the less credible sources you'll find.

Of course the scientific consensus is wrong from time to time but you aren't going to get rich betting against it. And it pays to know the odds, whether something is controversial or not. We're talking about archaeology in this thread mostly, but stuff like physics and biology and how to grow cannabis work in a similar way. Does Round Up cause cancer? How much nitrogen does a flowering cannabis plant need? You get different answers but it's helpful to know what the consensus is and what the opposing arguments are, if it's a subject that interests you. Of course sometimes there's no consensus..

Hempy McNoodle

Thank you threvverend that gives me something to consider.
I also consider that much of what is desert today in north africa and the middle east, was likely a lusher 'mediteraenian' type of climate, in the era before the end of the pleistocene.

It's fine to go against consensus. I do it routinely. But I do still learn. I like respectful exchanges of ideas. That said, I don't think it makes sense (to me) that the plant would make an entrance onto the earth as a relictual species clinging to life in warm canyons in central asia, which even today is a somewhat harsh biome for cannabis. I think it's much more likely that it evolved to eventually fit the niche of the central asian steppes and was beaten back for a few thousand years by the ice sheets. Probably evolved from some vibrant jungli plant out of the warm regions of the world. There are many great reasons why the fossil record would be very obscure in the era when the fossil evidence becomes lacking. I still definitely will keep an open mind about alternative theories, but this theory, sort of makes more sense to me personally. Is the oldest record for hemp still the Taiwan discovery from aproximately 12,000bc? If so, this supports my point because we are talking about a cultivated crop. I would think the species may be older than humans or be derived from an ancester from more plant friendly warmer regions of the ancient pleistocene world.

funkyhorse

Hi Revverend
Certainly very interesting:..."We're getting off topic here, there's a bunch of other info on Chinese cannabis, Xinjiang, Manchuria, shamanism, traditional Chinese culture I want to post..." I am looking forwards to your posts on these topics.

About the Romulan which is trending topic lately, this link was posted:
https://www.thegrowthop.com/cannabi...ent-their-captivity-stoned-out-of-their-gourd

After I read this link and saw the pictures, it is obvious to me that the POW have been smoking manchurian and if this is the "korean" in the romulan hybrid formula, then it should be corrected and called for what it really is, Manchurian. In South Korea I didnt see any wild ganja, in the north korean border is feral like everywhere else in Manchuria. Look at the map, it includes part of south eastern Mongolia, part of far east Russia, north east China and the north of North Korea:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manchuria

I agree with you manchurian must be of value for northern growers, I would not be surprised if it has autoflowering traits
I have never been in such a cold place before in my life. Winter temperatures are -30C to -40C. It was very interesting to see at the end of may beginning of june the trees were flowering and only after they have flowered, they start forming leaves. I have never seen this before in the tropical/subtropical climates.

therevverend

Veteran
I also consider that much of what is desert today in north africa and the middle east, was likely a lusher 'mediteraenian' type of climate, in the era before the end of the pleistocene.

Man, I actually wrote this and deleted it because it was going off topic.

That said, I don't think it makes sense (to me) that the plant would make an entrance onto the earth as a relictual species clinging to life in warm canyons in central asia, which even today is a somewhat harsh biome for cannabis. I think it's much more likely that it evolved to eventually fit the niche of the central asian steppes and was beaten back for a few thousand years by the ice sheets.

I also some deleted stuff I wrote covering this. I guess I should write it again. At the end of the last ice age Europe was very different. A dry cold steppe, like Central Asia is today. Cannabis, probably Sativa Spontanea, grew across it. The range actually shrunk back to the Ukraine as the climate changed and the grass land shrank. A bunch of animals who depended on the 'mammoth steppe' went extinct, including mammoths.

And remember when we're talking about 'ice age refugia' we aren't talking about a few icy little valleys in Afghanistan. We're talking about China, Iran, the Southern Ukraine and Turkey, vast countries. Along with the plants and trees that survived south of the ice the people and animals survived in the refuges as well. Horses, wolves, deer, bear, boar, goats, sheep, all our common Eurasian animals (and the same thing happened in North America-except it was Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, etc.) migrated south to get away from the cold.

Got a bit to say about the Kurgan Hypothesis. Ngpka said:

fair enough, it does seem this idea has been resurrected by a few academics, ie that there is a single people/culture responsible for those finds

it's a very dodgy idea though..

It's fair to say that the Kurgans but it's a mis-representation of what the Kurgan idea is. What Ramses wrote was:

Kurgan Culture

The term kurgan culture indicates the SET of prehistoric and protohistoric cultures of Eurasia (Eastern Europe, Central Asia and Siberia, up to the Altai Mountains and western Mongolia)

Ramse is saying the Kurgan culture is not one people one culture but a set of cultures and peoples ranging thousands of years across the Eurasian steppe. The problem with the Kurgan idea is that we know 'who they became' but we don't know enough about 'who they were.'

This is why it's called the 'Kurgan hypothesis' or 'steppe hypothesis' and not the 'Kurgan theory'. (although people who REALLY believe in it call it the Kurgan theory) A theory, the theory of evolution or theory of gravity, is basically true. The scientific consensus is that it's not debatable. It's part of how the world works. A hypothesis is thought to be true, it may be extremely likely, but the evidence is far weaker and it doesn't have a 100% scientific consensus about it. This is important because future finds could radically change what we know about the 'Kurgans'.

This collection of people and cultures were the 'Indo-Europeans' you hear so much about. The ancestors of the Germanic people that invaded the Roman Empire, the Vedic people who invaded India and Iran. Here's a map of their expansion out of the Ukraine and across Eurasia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurgan_hypothesis#/media/File:IE_expansion.png

This is from the wiki article which is worth reading.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurgan_hypothesis

These peoples buried their dead in mounds, and some of them buried them with lots of cannabis. The finds we keep rambling about were 'Kurgan'. This is so important to the history of cannabis because we can see them in the process of discovering cannabis and getting high.

Early on they're burning seeds and leaves for funeral ceremonies, along with a witches' brew of other aromatic herbs. This stuff was originally Sativa spontanea, but as they expand into regions with psychedelic type plants, Western China, Afghanistan, India, Iran, they stop with the seed mixes and leaves, and start burning the female plant parts in their incense burners and braziers. They migrate to areas where farming is possible and start growing stuff including lots of ganja. In the process selecting cannabis strains for more potency.

At least this is my 'Stoners hypothesis'. Could be totally wrong but it sounds good. I don't want to get into too much into the debate about the 'Kurgan hypothesis' because it's off topic and a waste of my time. I'd think it's more of an 'idea' then a people. Another note is that these were the groups that domesticated the horse, you can see how powerful their ideas and cultures would have been. Along with the horse comes more trade, better booze and drugs, Gods, and language and it spreads rapidly to various other peoples across the steppes and Eurasia. All the way to France and Mongolia.

therevverend

Veteran
After I read this link and saw the pictures, it is obvious to me that the POW have been smoking manchurian and if this is the "korean" in the romulan hybrid formula, then it should be corrected and called for what it really is, Manchurian.

Sorry I confused you, the POWs are in Europe, they're eastern European. Not related to the pictures in Manchuria which were 20 years later. Didn't mean to mislead you.

Let's not get too hasty, we don't know for sure Romulan really has Korean in it, let alone which Korean it is. Lots of US and Canadian soldiers stationed there over the years. Korea has an ancient history of hemp cultivation and wild and feral plants have been found going back thousands of years. Hemp plays an important role in Korean funerary rituals, as it does across Eurasia. In North Korea there's been articles about how the people there are smoking cannabis instead of tobacco but it doesn't seem to be potent. Wild hemp. There's also the Russian far east bordering on Korea and China, Siberian tiger country along the Amur River. It really isn't Siberia but historically is more connected to Manchuria and Korea. We know they grow ganja there, check out this craziness:

https://www.thefix.com/content/addicts-slaves-marijuana-plantation9814

Wouldn't that be fun, the cossacks find you with a joint so they make you their trim slave. Sit you down with 880 lbs to trim! What a nightmare!

Kalishnakov seeds has a hybrid of a giant Amur autoflower from the region.

https://en.**********.eu/strain-info/Amur_Giant_Auto/Kalashnikov_Seeds/

I've found quite a few references to huge cannabis fields in the Amur region. Popular with organized crime and paramilitary groups, it seems like much of the seed would be brought in from Europe. Either hybridized with the local strains or kept separate.

I'm guessing there's a feral/wild strain that grows across the Far East, very similar whether you're in Manchuria, Russia, Korea, or Japan. Growing at that latitude. Then there'd be the cultivated hemp and seed strains, some going back hundreds or thousands of years. Then you'd have the secret shaman stuff that no one has written the history of. If it exists, that's always the ?

Latest posts

Latest posts