What's new

The Official Hempy Bucket Thread

Japanfreakier

Veteran
you dont need DO in Hempy buckets because the nutes arent totally in nutrient solution, they are in medium, this medium contains air, therefore air get to roots via diffusion because medium contains air, last two inches contains nute solution that is constantly being taken up the plant via a mechanism known as the transpiration stream, therefore constant movement of nute solution = no stagnant water. when a plant is dry and goes floppy it needs water because turgidity is the mechansim that keeps a plant stiff.
A DWC needs moving water so DO occurs in the nute solution so roots get oxygen via diffusion otherwise if the water was still the roots would use all that o2 in no time causing anaerobic respiration.

Hope this helps.

You still need DO in any hydro including Hempy. I got root rot once in hempy from low D.O.

Ty_Kaycha

Wow, What a bunch of internet dick waving goin' on here. I dont wanna play, i gots a pinner.

What Im more curious about is the osmocote mentioned a few pages back. search didnt help me much but then again im not as smart as some. whats the generally accepted application rate in a hempy? i have access to a giant 50lb bag of osmocote classic from the school nursery (14-14-14) but cannot read the label. is it generally just mixed into the substrate or top dressed? always trying new things...

You could go by this: Osmocote Product Specs Sheet

What I do in Hempy's is fill the bottom of the bucket to about an inch above the hole with whatever medium you're using, i.e. perlite, vermiculite, etc... Then I toss in a handful. Continue filling the bucket with medium until about 3 inches from the top, another handful gets tossed in. Finish topping bucket with medium. That's it. I'm using 3 gallon buckets. If using larger buckets, maybe do another layer somewhere in the middle. Or if you might prefer to mix it in throughout your medium. I've done both with about the same results. It's pretty hard to overnute with the stuff. If just using 14-14-14, recommend getting some kind of micro-nute to either add to your water or foliar feed. I also prefer to add a bit of some sort of bloom booster to my water in flowering stage. My best results in terms of yield and taste have been when I also used a weak water soluble nute solution too. I used FloraNova Bloom, barely 1/2 strength every other watering.

But even just using straight Osmocote, I've had really good results. To new growers with their first run. I recommend they only use Osmocote Plus (it has the micro-nutes already) during veg, and then supplement with a weak bloom booster solution during flowering. No need to flush or anything!

Hempy buckets are easy, and using Osmocote just makes them even easier and much more affordable too!

Two-Dogs

You still need DO in any hydro including Hempy. I got root rot once in hempy from low D.O.

Um no you dont. Please go and research why you need DO, Its only needed when your roots are totally saturated in h2o, this is because the roots cannot get o2 any other way. In hempys air is in the top 90% of the medium. If you got root rot in Hempy's it wasnt from lack of DO, it would have most liekly been your plants were too small for the rez and therefore the transpiration stream was too slow to uptake the amount of water in a timely fashion and caused anaerobic respiration.
So im guessing you aerate your nutrient solution before watering? this is so unneccesary, and contradictory to the use of any medium whatsoever.

R

Rysam

What I do in Hempy's is fill the bottom of the bucket to about an inch above the hole with whatever medium you're using, i.e. perlite, vermiculite, etc... Then I toss in a handful. Continue filling the bucket with medium until about 3 inches from the top, another handful gets tossed in. Finish topping bucket with medium. That's it. I'm using 3 gallon buckets. If using larger buckets, maybe do another layer somewhere in the middle. Or if you might prefer to mix it in throughout your medium. I've done both with about the same results. It's pretty hard to overnute with the stuff. If just using 14-14-14, recommend getting some kind of micro-nute to either add to your water or foliar feed. I also prefer to add a bit of some sort of bloom booster to my water in flowering stage. My best results in terms of yield and taste have been when I also used a weak water soluble nute solution too. I used FloraNova Bloom, barely 1/2 strength every other watering.

But even just using straight Osmocote, I've had really good results. To new growers with their first run. I recommend they only use Osmocote Plus (it has the micro-nutes already) during veg, and then supplement with a weak bloom booster solution during flowering. No need to flush or anything!

Hempy buckets are easy, and using Osmocote just makes them even easier and much more affordable too!

Thanks for sure I appreciate the info! Im always looking to simplify and so far this is as simple as it gets and keeps getting easier.

Bonavendura

Ok guys i am confused and i read many intresting informations about DO oxygen and all this stuff , i am now trying to catch up this thread and the defoliation thread and i haven't time to start reading more thinks but i write it doen to my to do list.

Now for the practical part of Hempy's is there any good Hempy's grow logs ? , i will make a search.

Today i was cleaning my 70 square meter (750 square feet) basement.
It is cleaner than a Surgery room , we work two guys for
6 hours just cleaning and disinfect an empty space.

Monday i am start building my grow room's and i will give you a good Hempy grow log hoping to be Hempy Grow show ;)

But i need you help in my setup , i make a post in Growroom designs and no one make any critics to my sketch or give me any ideas there , so give some help there and i will throw in there 35 in total Hempy's and one Dwc bucket for a side to side.

Growroom sketch up in my sig

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran

Thanks for posting this. I'd like to give it a try.

deviant1

Explain in detail please.

Explain in detail please.

We top water our babies. They get fed every other day in veg and every day in bloom. The ratio varies upon how long they're in either cycle. I start small (1/4 tsp. ea-GH 3 part + Liquid Karma) and build up to whatever the strain likes. If I'm vegging a plant longer, my ratio ends up 4-2-1-1.5, and when it's time to flip, we go to a 2-2-2-2, then build the ratio 1-2-3-2, 1-2-4-2.5, etc... The plants get flushed the last week of bloom.

what does the last number stand for, in the normal NPK ratio, only 3 number ratio, example 2-2-2-2?

I noticed you say you hand feed everyday in bloom, is this to keep PH and PPM more stable, or what? Ive been hand feeding jus when they need it, normally around a week, I have had a PH problem forever, is this the reason for my problems with PH? It seems that everyday feed does make more sense, should I switch to everyday? What strength should I use? I'm now at day 39 of 58.

Man, sorry bout all the questions, it's jus that I think I might have found out why I have the issues I do. It would be nice to have a problem free grow for once, this is the 4th grow,same strain, same problems, I've made changes, but this feels like this is it.

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
No worries at all. The fourth number is an additive...GH 3 part would be 1,2,3 and "4" would be the LK or if I were using Gravity or Seaplex. My water source is very stable and so I don't have to test the ph very often. I do test to see if everything is where it ought to be, but my ph measurements are always the same. I don't use a PPM meter because I am cheap. This feeding method has worked for me for a few years now and been pretty good. Of course I could perhaps do better if I did invest in a meter and feed the "best" amount at the right time, I suppose.
I always hand feed or top water feed....whatever you want to call it. I make it a gallon at a time. With our water source I only add the GH + LK and feed. The source water is a little high, but the LK brings it down perfectly. The source water is a little high in calcium and so when I was using Magi-Cal I tended to burn the plants....so we stopped using it and the plants look great. I use Seaplex at times and I like using it. The plants look greener (if that makes any sense) when it's in use.
Keep at it man, you'll get it. Have faith.

deviant1

I know this is a very novice question, but around what PH do you run? I understand that it is different for each, but is there a perfect range to stay in with the hempy's, I stay at 5.8-6.0? What would you recommend, if anything. Thanks for the reply and advice.

Ty_Kaycha

... I stay at 5.8-6.0? What would you recommend, if anything...

Well if you were to listen to Hempy himself, he would state one doesn't need to worry about ph. Personally I think it depends on your water supply. I use tap. Straight from the tap my water is awful but I have a 2 stage filtering system, 5 & 1 micron filters. I fill a couple 5 gallon buckets and toss a couple of air stones in for at least 24 hours. After that & after I added whatever nutes/additives I'm adding, my ph usually falls somewhere between 5.8 & 6.2. Haven't had to use ph up or down in forever.

You might not be so lucky, but if you're running 5.8-6.0 - you're doing fine (assuming that's after nutes are added)

messn'n'gommin'

ember
Veteran
We top water our babies. They get fed every other day in veg and every day in bloom. The ratio varies upon how long they're in either cycle. I start small (1/4 tsp. ea-GH 3 part + Liquid Karma) and build up to whatever the strain likes. If I'm vegging a plant longer, my ratio ends up 4-2-1-1.5, and when it's time to flip, we go to a 2-2-2-2, then build the ratio 1-2-3-2, 1-2-4-2.5, etc... The plants get flushed the last week of bloom.

what does the last number stand for, in the normal NPK ratio, only 3 number ratio, example 2-2-2-2?

I noticed you say you hand feed everyday in bloom, is this to keep PH and PPM more stable, or what? Ive been hand feeding jus when they need it, normally around a week, I have had a PH problem forever, is this the reason for my problems with PH? It seems that everyday feed does make more sense, should I switch to everyday? What strength should I use? I'm now at day 39 of 58.

Man, sorry bout all the questions, it's jus that I think I might have found out why I have the issues I do. It would be nice to have a problem free grow for once, this is the 4th grow,same strain, same problems, I've made changes, but this feels like this is it.

That's the beauty of Hempys, you can make it as easy or difficult as you want. Somebody coming from a hydro background is usually amazed at the simplicty and somebody from a soil background, is usually amazed at the effectiveness.

My personal formula for a watering/feeding regimen is 8ml of FNB, 5ml of cal-mag and pH'ed to about 5.8-6.0. I started out measuring pH every time I mixed up a solution. Then I figured out that my tap water is pretty consistent. My pH pen just doesn't get used anymore!

After transplanting, I water about a cup or two (1/2 liter or so) every day for 2 or 3 days. Then about a quart/liter each day until the roots hit the res (about a week). After that, the plant takes off and I feed about two quarts/liters every three or four days until harvest/flush. Full strength start to finish!

There is more than one way to skin a cat and this is just one way, but, when I went looking for easy, simple, and uncomplicated, I found it in abundance!

Also, I believe the fourth number refers to the Mg ratio.

Namaste

Last edited:

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
mess-I'm amazed that you can run full strength. I've attempted that a couple of times and seem to really burn my plants. I suppose it's got something to do with genetics, as I've not had so much experience with various strains, what is your take on this?

messn'n'gommin'

ember
Veteran
mess-I'm amazed that you can run full strength. I've attempted that a couple of times and seem to really burn my plants. I suppose it's got something to do with genetics, as I've not had so much experience with various strains, what is your take on this?

Point well made! I suppose that there are qualifiers to be made for most anything and I failed to recognize that! Thank you Dubwise!

I agree wholeheartedly, a lot depends on the genetics! I should have stated from the beginning that I am running bagseed that is indica/indica-dom. The first Hempy thread I ever saw mentioned using full strength from start to finish and I guess I was lucky enough to start out with a "robust feeder."

Again, thanks for the correction, Dubwise!

Peace!

Ty_Kaycha

Are you running tap or RO water? The only time I have been able to run full strength was with RO.

Zendo

My personal formula for a watering/feeding regimen is 8ml of FNB, 5ml of cal-mag and pH'ed to about 5.8-6.0. I started out measuring pH every time I mixed up a solution. Then I figured out that my tap water is pretty consistent. My pH pen just doesn't get used anymore!

Namaste

I do the same, with RO water.
8ml FNB, 5ml cal-mag plus / per gallon
ph'ed 5.8-6.

Start(rooted clone) to finish, easy as pie. Haven't met a strain that doesn't like it yet..