What's new

The Official Hempy Bucket Thread

RetroGrow

Veteran
Heat rises. I would raise those puppies up from the floor, if you have the space. Put anything under them, even inverted buckets or milk crates, or the ever popular cinder blocks. Or buckets and boards layed across them. Just enough to get them up a foot or so, off the cold floor, and fans can blow underneath them.

xil

Is there anywhere addressing the idea of rooting/cloning directly into a little mini-hempy? In other words, straight into perlite/vermiculite without rockwool?
I was thinking maybe a little pop bottle or something.
I'm sure someone has tried it, but I can't find it in any threads with search, so...
Anyone seen it or done it or heard of it?

I did just that for my seedlings in a pc box, they came out just fine. Really no difference in what they grow, as long as ph is right.

WattSaver

I want to straighten out the coco/perlite air retention discussion. There is a chart out there that graphically shows this, which I can't find right now but, coco holds much more water than perlite does, but perlite holds more air than coco, a lot has to do with the size and porosity of the mediums.

Here's a paper that describes the concept http://hortsci.ashspublications.org/content/45/7/1106.full.pdf
It covers the variances between perlite/peat & perlite/coco

All the best with your hempy grow.

I want to straighten out the coco/perlite air retention discussion. There is a chart out there that graphically shows this, which I can't find right now but, coco holds much more water than perlite does, but perlite holds more air than coco, a lot has to do with the size and porosity of the mediums.

Here's a paper that describes the concept http://hortsci.ashspublications.org/content/45/7/1106.full.pdf
It covers the variances between perlite/peat & perlite/coco

All the best with your hempy grow.

Doesn't even look like they actually tested PURE Coir.

WattSaver

No they did not in that test. The point is that the more perlite they added to the mixes the more air it retained. The moisture curves showed core was a better product than peat.

BCJohn

I did just that for my seedlings in a pc box, they came out just fine. Really no difference in what they grow, as long as ph is right.

I think xil is right. Mine grew and is doing quite well but I stunted it for a while by screwing up the pH at first. Be careful.

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
Back at it.

Back at it.

After a few months hiatus Im back at it. It was nice to take a break and have the freedom of not having to attend to a grow for a while.

Almost all the plants are of GrindHouse stock. Ultra Sonja, Diablo x DMT, SFV x DMT and two Cannabiogen PCK. Im hoping for a nice PCK purple male . If I get one Im going to whack a few GrindHouse buds with some pollen.
As usual Im sticking to Perlite/vermiculite in 2 1/2 gallon buckets. The only change Ive made this time around is I have put Hydroton on the bottom layer. Ive read all the back and forth about this mix vs. coco but the traditional perl/verm combo works well for me. Last time around I had plants that yielded over one lb. of dried bud each. If it aint broke, dont fix it. Right?
Here they are after getting tucked into their final homes yesterday.
They are about 3 weeks old at this point . Happy Happy. They were pretty well root bound in their starter Solo cup Hempys and are ready to stretch their legs, so to speak. Ill give them a couple weeks more of veg and a little bit of FIM before I change bulbs and put them into flower.
picture.php

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Glad to see ya back at It Captain !!! :tiphat:

theres times i wish i could walk away from growing for a couple months ..... then i get a nice fat harvest of sticky buds & i can't wait to stick more in !!! :biggrin:

RetroGrow

Veteran
After a few months hiatus Im back at it. It was nice to take a break and have the freedom of not having to attend to a grow for a while.

Almost all the plants are of GrindHouse stock. Ultra Sonja, Diablo x DMT, SFV x DMT and two Cannabiogen PCK. Im hoping for a nice PCK purple male . If I get one Im going to whack a few GrindHouse buds with some pollen.
As usual Im sticking to Perlite/vermiculite in 2 1/2 gallon buckets. The only change Ive made this time around is I have put Hydroton on the bottom layer. Ive read all the back and forth about this mix vs. coco but the traditional perl/verm combo works well for me. Last time around I had plants that yielded over one lb. of dried bud each. If it aint broke, dont fix it. Right?
Here they are after getting tucked into their final homes yesterday.
They are about 3 weeks old at this point . Happy Happy. They were pretty well root bound in their starter Solo cup Hempys and are ready to stretch their legs, so to speak. Ill give them a couple weeks more of veg and a little bit of FIM before I change bulbs and put them into flower.
View Image

Re: one pound plants. I have gotten them also in 2 gallon Hempys with coco, but that was with a 2 month veg. How long did you veg to get that size, and what strain(s)?

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
Re: one pound plants. I have gotten them also in 2 gallon Hempys with coco, but that was with a 2 month veg. How long did you veg to get that size, and what strain(s)?

Vegged for six weeks. Avalanche x White widow. Flowered for about 85 days. Huge producers but potency was disappointing at about a 6 on the 1-10 scale.
picture.php

picture.php

S

supreme bean

hempy mania

hempy mania

Hi people.
Wow the hempy method sure does get alot of feedback.Im getting into hempy with coco and perlite.
Anybody care to give some input on why it works so well.what with bumper yields an all.

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
I think it affords the best of both worlds...It is forgivable and flexible in choice of medium. Once you get the room dialed in and you know what your strain likes/can take, then you can really focus in and get your yields to match the input. There aren't many moving parts to go bad and there is a nice simplicity with this method.

quick question(s)

quick question(s)

What do you believe the issues within these three pictures to be?

Genetics: Grandoggy Purps

Age: exactly 1 month since cotyledons first broke out of the seed

Nutriets: slowly built my way up to 0-5-10 (General Hydroponics Flora Micro and Bloom; Lucas formula). I began fertilizing at 2 weeks roughly (when the cotyledons began to yellow a bit)

pH: drifts between 5.7 and 5.95 (I have a very good quality pH pen).

Temperature @ roughly 79* during lights on (CFLs) and 68* lights off. Humidity is ~50%.

The PPMs for the 0-5-10 mixture is roughly 610ppm.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh, would it be more productive to just scrap the 0-5-10 method and use the directions on the back of the GH bottles (grow, micro, bloom)?

My gut (and research) tells me it may be a magnesium deficiency. However, it seems whenever there are issues with deficiencies magnesium is always to blame.

0-5-10 is the Lucas formula? That doesn't sound right.

EDIT: I stand corrected. I looked at the lucas formula web site and it indeed gives that ratio. I'm using Maxibloom which 5-15-14 in straight perlite and my plants look great.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
0-5-10 refers to mL of grow-micro-bloom, not an NPK value. I've always thought that was confusing.

Latest posts

Latest posts