What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Official Hempy Bucket Thread

someotherguy

Veteran
Warped1 said:
I was looking at the photos you posted in the hempy thread and...well let me back up a little. I've never been interested in coco until recently..my hydro shop doesn't carry vermiculite so I'm giving coco a look. Yours looks almost like soil.. is it ground up or something? I need to look at some more coco grows, for some reason it's not easy for me to tell what the consistency is.

My friend, go get the coco, you will absolutely love it! Coco has proven to be the easiest medium i've ever worked with and, so far at least, it is producing the most consistent results, shit, I still have about 90 gallons of my own organic soil mix left over (when I say 'my own mix' I mean I followed a recipe posted in the 'Organics for beginners' thread, lol), most i'll give away to my young friend InPotITrust.

Anyway, I like using the coco bricks rather than the bags of loose coco partly because I can carry a brick in a bag into my house and if any of my neighbors happen to see me, they don't see anything that looks grow related, just what looks like a large cereal box in a bag.

So, once I get the brick into the house I just toss it into a 30 gallon bin and pour about 3 - 3.5 gallons of tap water on top of it and stir, lol. It's kind of a pain breaking the bricks up so I usually put the lid on the bin and let the coco soak for a half hour or so, then it's just a mattet of stirring it up to make sure there aren't any dry chunks left and thats it, it's now ready to use.

Now, that's just how I do it, i'm a lazy fuck by nature so I do things the lazy fuck way, lol, but it was recommended in all that reading I did that you thoroughly rinse your coco bricks, especially if you use the cheaper generic brands as they MAY be loaded with salts, personally i've only used 1 brick of Northfield coco and 1 brick of the Botanicare and I see no difference, consistency wise or in the resultant health of my plants, they seem to just LOVE the coco! It's also recommended you 'charge' your coco before using which simply means you pour 1/4 strength nutes into the coco after rinsing.

And to answer your question more directly Warped1 the coco is very similar to soil, just more even, it's actually so easy to use it's a joy potting up, ...and cloning is way easier now with no loss in success rates with still better than 90% rooted, plus, it makes potting up into my hempys WAY easier, I just pop the rooted coco plug out if it's 9oz cup, place the cup in a hempy and back-fill with moist coco, easy peasey lemon squeazy, lol.

It's easy to hide bringing it into your grow, it's mad easy to use AND your plants will LOVE it, plus, it's a renewable resource made from ground up coconut shells unlike vermiculite which can be a pain to find and is dug from mines so NOT renewable, ...asbestos is almost always found with vermiculite as well so conditions can be very unhealthy for the miners.

So don't wait bro, use that FFOF for your house plants and switch to coco for your special garden, ...don't be like me and think about it for almost 3 years, just break down and spend the $11.00 and buy a brick, I promise you'll be glad you did.

ay SOG, what lights you using on your girls in both veg and flower mate?

High man, heres a coupe pics of my mother-box, the first cab I ever built and powered by a 2ft 4bulb T5HO totaling 96watts, 24watts per bulb.

...this is what it looks like closed.
picture.php

...and heres a shot of it open.
picture.php

Now heres a couple of my bud-box, this was my second cab and I used 2x 150watt HPS Econolites that I had to DIY, what I did was dis-assemble the light and discard the original fixtures and then I mounted both bulbs in a DIY cooltube and remoted the ballasts, which were built into the original fixtures, outside the grow area.

Heres a shot from outside and it stands 62inchs if memory serves me right, lol.
picture.php

...and here is a shot of the inside after painting but before any other modifications.
picture.php

...and heres a shot with the twin 150s without thier ghetto reflector. ...i used the 150s for about a year and a half before upgrading to a 400CMH in a proper hood, an air-cooled SupetSun II to be exact.
picture.php

...and just for shits and giggles, lol, heres a shot of the exhaust where you can see I designed it so the exhaust blows across the DIY ballasts.
picture.php

So after these were built I decided to build myself a home for my cloning op which is fully documented in my 'cloning factory' thread linked below, ...to answer your question though i'm using 165watts of PL-Ls in that box but suspended over newly rooted clones foe short-term vegging which is all I do, lol. ...anyway, the cuts sit in bins on a shelf above the lights and get only reflected light which has proven to be more than sufficient to promote rooting. BTW, I designed it that way to passively recapture the heat to keep my cloners warm, I used the Walmart cloners for a couple years with great success and only changed because cloning in straight coco just simplifies things for me.

ANYWAY, lol, i'm now in the final stages of upgrading my flowering op into a 4 x 4 Secret Jardin grow tent with a bare-bulb, vertically mounted 600 and i'm really lovin' the new changes i've been makin'.

So heres a shot lookin' into the new tent.
picture.php

...and now you know about my lights, lol.

Peace, SOG

D

Deuce5

I want to use 2 buckets (5L) for my coco hempy grow. Do you think there is enough room in the cab for 2 buckets or should I just do one bucket. The dimensions of the cab are (42"H x 17"D x 21W) I plan on growing Bubblegummer, Grapefruit, and/or El Alquimista. I would like to grow a combination of any 2 of the ones listed, but will do only one if it better.

After looking at the pic, you can't tell how much room there is. The buckets are 7" tall and there is 32" between the top of the bucked and the lights, after I think about it more it seems like one bucket and some let. Any thoughts?

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
I think you can fit the two buckets in there. But you've got to think a little more long term, with stretch, dark spots, canopy cover and airflow. Seems like it would be better to do a single scrog in there with better space for tops.

Lowman

After looking at the pic, you can't tell how much room there is. The buckets are 7" tall and there is 32" between the top of the bucked and the lights, after I think about it more it seems like one bucket and some let. Any thoughts?

If it was me...I would go with a square type bin(s) that is wider and not as tall as the buckets. Try and find a bin or two that would fill the floor space but not so much of the height you have available.

someotherguy

Veteran
You could also probably fit 4 or 5 of these...
picture.php

....just don't do any vegging or you'll end up like this.
picture.php

Which is why I had to finally break down and buy me one of these, lol.
picture.php

picture.php

Peace, SOG

G

grassott

I want to use 2 buckets (5L) for my coco hempy grow. Do you think there is enough room in the cab for 2 buckets or should I just do one bucket.

The space is a bit tight in there innit? Hempy buckets grow at an alarming rate as soon as the roots hit the rez.

I'd try a 10l bucket scrogging up one plant. Then upgrade to a 4x4 tent, grow more 2 or 3 gal buckets in the future and use your small space for clones.

Warped1

I'm a victim of fast women and slow horses
Veteran
If you really want to grow more than 1 strain at a time I think you could do 2 buckets. You have a bit more space than I do.I have 2 pots but I'm in dirt at the moment. You have 15" of height more than I do, but I think I can pull it off with a good bit of training.

G

grassott

^True, depends on your experience.

When I was a first time grower I hated training or topping, thinking that my plant's gonna get a disease or something. Made me paronoid listening to all them myths lol. Now I do it all the time.

Just plonked these in their buckets last night. They've been defoli'd heavily a week ago. Started to recover nicely, then they decide to give me attitude with their droopy leaves. Bitches!
picture.php

Dam ran outta perlite too. Meaning I got 5 of them in their hempies instead of 6 and one of them's got more vermiculite than I'd like to use coz I ran outta perlite. Today is a bad Sunday for me. Come on girls, cheer up. I dunno if they pissed with their leaf chopping or just getting used to their new hempies. Will keep you informed.

Warped1

I'm a victim of fast women and slow horses
Veteran
Well he just transplanted and trimmed, so I'd say he'll know more in a day or 3..they might be pissy.
I don't know anyone that aerates their nutes before feeding, I don't think I've ever seen it mentioned. Maybe someone else will have some info for you.

G

grassott

I aerate like this...
picture.php

I also leave the caps off to de-chlorinate. I use tap water, ph'd to as close as 5.9 and feed with passive hydro nutes.

Does the water need aerating? God knows. I just do it to tell myself that I'm putting effort in my grow.

D

Deuce5

Ok, I'm going with a 10L scrogged Coco Hempy, as soon as this soil grow completes. I'm going to do the El Alquimista seed and try cloning. If all works out I will try the other 2 seeds (Keep it simple).

When we move to a bigger house then I will get a tent. Man, growing is addictive. I started out growing, because my two $ources were dry. I started in a pc, but thought it maybe to low of a yield for me to grow in a pc so I moved to an old wardrobe I found. Now hempy, coco, scrog, etc.....lots of research to do. Thanks for all the help people!!

G

Graham Purwatt

i used to areate when i used gh flora, i don't how much oxygen it actually adds but it helps the nutes to buffer the ph a little more on their own so you end up using less ph up or down to get your ph right. i stopped when i started having to use tapwater immediately instead of being able to let it sit overnight to evaporate the chlorine. i still haven't noticed a difference,chlorine evaporated or not other than having to use a little more ph down(1 ml more).now that i've switched to maxibloom i use less ph down than ever so it all kind of worked out

G

grassott

^so let me get this straight. you use water straight from the tap, add nutes/ph then water straight away or something? I'd be scared to do that, especially in the winter. My nutes recommend that my water should be at room temperature.

G

Graham Purwatt

thats correct grassott, i live where its pretty much always warm so winter doesn't affect the temp of the tapwater much for me.its never cold straight out of the tap

Latest posts

Latest posts