What's new

The OBBT Grow Show!

Barnyard420

rip, you seem like you did a vertical scrog, i posted a visitor message to ya, but was wondering how that setup turned out vertically....

Kanye WeED

rip, you seem like you did a vertical scrog, i posted a visitor message to ya, but was wondering how that setup turned out vertically....

yea no shit rip id be a happy man if i could get 1 of my plants too look like that

what happened to it man?

ohh and thanks for the last post u responded to me in, im gonna use what i got in this bucket and use your guys mentioned stuff in the next

i want some fast innoculation what ever that is, lol!!!

yep alot more studying!!!

Hehe, you sound right on course KW.

RipVanWeed's pictures are an inspiration to us all, definitely see how his results could make you wanna get up off your ass!

Myco Madness is just a bunch of concentrated dormant microbes. Bacteria and fungus, plus I think one breed of amoeba or something.

Happily, your Espoma Plant Tone actually packs an impressive array of beneficial fungus and bacteria. Just pre-mix it into your medium before incubating and you'll have beneficials out the wazoo! Your microherd will be slightly less diverse than if you used a product like myco madness, but it will not make any true noticeable difference; not on your first time out anyway.

You say it would be nice if everything you needed to grow could be had easily from local sources like Wal Mart. My early OBBT grows where actually local-sources only. If you are lucky enough to find coco moss locally like this:

Then all the other needed ingredients are pretty simple to get your hands on. I ran a number of my early grows using nothing but equipment scabbed from Lowe's, Wal-Mart, Ace hardware and Menards.

But there is definitely a lot of benefit from ordering special stuff like super-chunky amendments or fancy organic nutrients.

All depends on how involved you want it to be. Keep us updated on your progress :joint:

McDanger

thats funny i was just there looking for a can fan didnt know they had like grow products like that

god wouldnt that shit be soo much better if walmart carried shit we need, hopefully i really dont need the shit tho, cause this time i aint using it!!!

If you have a Menards, you can get this stuff.

Attachments

• DSC00615 (Medium).JPG
    DSC00615 (Medium).JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 12

Kanye WeED

hey lady l yea u guys def got me on the right track, and i love the butterflys that this new method is giving me, if only i could have all this good stuff going on with the feel of no parinoaia<---(that how u spell it?):confused::confused:

im gonna try to get it underway tonight and get the water in it and everything, and see how it looks coming up threw the rocks....

Mcdanger, thanks, but i def wanna go with the myco madness, i called my hydro guy today and ordered some, so its on the way along with my coco coir

i cant wait, i ordered something else too cant member what the heck it was

any way, thanks for all the help guys, and keep your trichomes crossed for me!!!

Kanye WeED

well i just got done making my mix

i used like 50-70 % coco around about... and like 5 cups of plant tone ( that shit is strong FUCK) and like alot of perlite, and vermiculite,and like 4 or 5 cups of fox farm ocean forrest.

i decided not to use any epsom salt but if u guys think i should i will.

My final product is kinda spongy and sticks together, and breaks up good but isnt rubber looking like ladyLs medium was.

is this ok

whats gonna stop the dirt from working its way, all the way down to the bottom of the bucket?

ohhh and i tried my bubbler under all the lava rock it bubbles up to the top not super fast but not super slow either, has a nice round spread of where the bubbles go to seeing as i place it in the middle of the bottom of the bucket.

really excited now, hope my shit is legit

and yes i know my water will only come half way up to the rock if that much

but dirt has a way of sinking i thought im just no understanding how its not all gonna just slide down between the cracks in the rocks

well here goes nothing, im head off in this shit now, point me in the right way, u guys are my human nav systems

ohh and if ever i stop coming around for more than a few days or so i either got caught or decided to call it quits, and i seriously dont see either happening any time soon...

just a heads up....peace!!!!

Hey there KW, sounds like you're right on track.

Don't worry about the medium 'falling' down into the rocks. That's why we mix it up the way you do. My early posts talked about how vermiculite really 'grips' the tiny soil particles and keeps them from turning into mud. We've 'built up' the soil going from smaller to larger particles

soil -> vermiculite -> pearlite -> coco moss

We go from very small to very large particles, in steps. They support eachother and make a good sponge. This is why you need to mix the medium a lot. You must make sure that you coated all the non-dirt with dirt evenly. As long as you mixed up your medium very thoroughly you will not run into problems.

You prolly should have added some epsom salts. OBBTs like to have lots of traces loaded in up front. You will need plenty of calcium and magnesium. They can be added later with molasses, but getting them in solid up front helps a lot. Hydrated Lime is a big plus. Epsom will also add some sulfur which is needed, but take care, you want 4 times as much magnesium as sulfur and epsom carries the two nutrients in exactly the wrong ratio: 20% Mg 80% S

Pictures would help a lot! Take a picture of your finished medium held loose in your hand or something like that. Try and give us a feel for its finished consistency. The good thing about OBBTs is that you know if they're gonna work before you ever put the plant in. Over the next couple of days be on the lookout for white fuzzy growth like this:

We're happy to be your human navigators, but you'll have to do a bit more to keep us informed. Make with the pictures! :joint:

Kanye WeED

hey lady L thanks for all the help, u and every one else have given

here are some pics of my medium thus far

this is before me adding the epsom salt ill add a lil of that tonight

about how much u think

the ratio of my medium is more coco than anything like u guys said but u really cant tell no more

id like to put something else in it with bigger like chips of something like the last pics u posted are but i dont know what, maybe some kind of mulch or some thing

my medium just dont look spongy enough to me

the pics have what it looks like all bunched up and what it looks like loose

thanks!!!

Attachments

• IMG_1705.jpg
    IMG_1705.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1701.jpg
    IMG_1701.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1700.jpg
    IMG_1700.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 12
Doesn't take much epsom. I usually use 1 Tbsp epsom and 2 Tbsp fast-acting lime per 5 gallons of finished medium.

Don't worry too much about not having big chunks in your medium. That comes from cheap brick-style coco moss. Its desirable to have, but not a deal-breaker. You've got lots and lots of coco hairs in there and that's the important part.

Looks really good; I'm with RVW: let her rip! :joint:

rrog

Veteran
Oh man, I have a whole new respect for the "chunk."

Side note, with my bubbling pails you can see the little hairs on the surface moving... Until I covered with Perlite

Kanye WeED

ok, thanks ladys and gents...

i am gonna add like a tbsp and a 1/2 of epsom salt then, and i may add like a half cup of kelp to the mix and mix real good and im done

think im gonna get a new bubbler and take the old one bac, i want a pretty strong one, like rated at 100 gph or something.

yep, on my way :woohoo:

thanks to u guys.

i think my first plant going in will be super lumon haze, and i think im gonna scrog her, and wait for the rest of the plants to finish

side note for whom cares: the plants i started in the un rinsed coir are doing ok and have noticable daily growth, i nute them everytime i water, they look decent

hope they stay that way

later yaw!!!

Kanye WeED

WOW, this thread was kinda stagnent today whats up with that??

any way let me get it poppin again, today my hydro got my myco madness in, and he also said he got some coir with big and little chunks so im excited about that also. I told hime to get me 2 of each.

I was wondering tho, can i add the more fine coir to my mix i already got going, and can i add the more chunky stuff to my preexsiting mix also?

im sure i can but just wondering

also i really didnt rinse coir thats all added to my pro mix now out that good cause i really aint got no place to do it, so im wondering should i start ALL over with the new mix im getting tomorrow?

i got like 2 5 kg blocks of each, chunky and fine coir, plus some myco madness

Whats a good way for me to pre wash my coir without making a mess in my bath tub, and clogging up the drain, LOL

thanks u guys!!!

Haha, with dense chunky coir it helps to use boiling water

Boil 2-3 gallons of water. Take your big chunk coir and break it up by hand a bit and put it in a 5 gallon bucket. Add the boiling water. Get enough water in it so the choir is completely submerged. Now bugger off and smoke a bowl.

Come back a couple hours later when it has cooled down. Reach in and start working the choir chunks by hand, breaking them up. After its all nice and fluffy just remove the choir by hand, squeezing the water out a handfull at a time. Place this wet fluffy choir in whatever bigass container you are gonna mix the medium in. The really hot water leeches out all of the salt and then holds it dissolved in the water afterward (this is why we try to squeeze most of the water out). Just pull out as much of the choir as you can and dump the water outside somewhere.

I dont see where you fucked up though to where you have to throw your old medium away. Why do you think you need to toss it??? Almost any fucked up medium can just be taken out of its tub/bucket, re-mix it with whatever you forgot to add and then just put it back in again! The microbes will eat anything, they aint picky! :joint:

Kanye WeED

Haha, with dense chunky coir it helps to use boiling water

Boil 2-3 gallons of water. Take your big chunk coir and break it up by hand a bit and put it in a 5 gallon bucket. Add the boiling water. Get enough water in it so the choir is completely submerged. Now bugger off and smoke a bowl.

Come back a couple hours later when it has cooled down. Reach in and start working the choir chunks by hand, breaking them up. After its all nice and fluffy just remove the choir by hand, squeezing the water out a handfull at a time. Place this wet fluffy choir in whatever bigass container you are gonna mix the medium in. The really hot water leeches out all of the salt and then holds it dissolved in the water afterward (this is why we try to squeeze most of the water out). Just pull out as much of the choir as you can and dump the water outside somewhere.

I dont see where you fucked up though to where you have to throw your old medium away. Why do you think you need to toss it??? Almost any fucked up medium can just be taken out of its tub/bucket, re-mix it with whatever you forgot to add and then just put it back in again! The microbes will eat anything, they aint picky! :joint:

i fucked up cause i didnt boil the water and mix the coir, i just added the water nought to break the coir up and make it soil like

thats unexceptable correct?

is my now mixed medium useless

itd be nice if it wasnt but if not no big deal my bigest prob is where to dump it all at.

but if u think itll be ok let me know

ohh and is lime for lawn and garden fast acting ok to use for my mix??

thanks!!!

Kanye WeED

i fucked up cause i didnt boil the water and mix the coir, i just added the water nought to break the coir up and make it soil like

thats unexceptable correct?

is my now mixed medium useless

itd be nice if it wasnt but if not no big deal my bigest prob is where to dump it all at.

but if u think itll be ok let me know

ohh and is lime for lawn and garden fast acting ok to use for my mix??

thanks!!!

wont let me ever edited my fucking posts for some reason, but its lime for lawn is that ok?

thats all lowes has was lime for lawns???

Fast-acting lime, the weird little brown pelletized stuff, actually does quite good in OBBTs. I like it. Look carefully in the picture below. How about the bag all the way on the left:

Woa now, slow down on your medium being 'ruined', You posted pics of a good handful of your soil. And you mentioned your choir type as well. Your choir didn't come from a choir brick. It looks like loose bagged hydro choir,

This stuff is more expensive, 'higher quality' and always steam-washed. No real need for the boiling water trick on it.

Look. Low-quality brick coir

This stuff is what really needs the boiling water treatment. Your gear looked a lot more like this:

Which is fine (if a little dusty) right out of the bag!

I was lecturing rrog on the plusses and minuses of the cheap-o brick choir stuff. Its really cheap and easy to get your hands on locally, I used it as my exclusive coco coir source for years. Its really good for OBBT usage if you treat it right. Its cheap because its processed very little. The coconut husks are just shredded and baled up into bricks and are only ever lightly washed, if at all. To take full advantage of this cheap, easy-to-get choir you have to do the boiling water method I talked about, or something similar. I've been looking into pressure cooking this cheap coir to take some of the manual labor out of the process.

Loose bagged choir is always steam washed; in fact I'm pretty sure some kind of steaming process is integral to making it. You've got no problems that I can see KW. Carry on!

Even though you've mixed up your medium you could still sneak the benefits of that myco madness in there. Just mix a couple teaspoons of it up with de-chlorinated tap water and pour it over your medium. As long as it hasn't completely finished incubating many of those life forms in the myco madness should take hold.

Hold steady buddy! You've snuck the epsom in there and you had good hydrated lime. Plant Tone just covers so many bases. Its ingredient list is like a check-list for a well-balanced organic diet. That and your good soil are all the nutrition you need to get off the ground, and you added kelp and other goodies as well so you're all set! Just let it sit and bubble in the dark now, wait and see if it responds and the Bio Box fires up for you. You should notice a distinct change in the smell of the medium. The texture changes as all the little white fungal filaments grab hold. You've got fine ingredients, I'm confident it will come to life :joint:

:joint:

RipVanWeed

KanYeWeed,

I too failed to wash/rinse the coco in my buckets. I don't think it mattered at all. Be careful not to over think, or over do this method. Once you get these things going there's alot less to do compared to a more conventional soil or hydro grow.

Sit back and let your system percolate for a week, then look real close for "hairy molds and fungi". There should be a few different kinds.

When you think you see this activity, plug your plantlets in and watch'em pop.

Good Luck!

Respect,

rrog

Veteran
I did the boiled water soak but let it dry. Long story. Don't do that.

However having done the soaking / boiling I would absolutely do it again. It really frees up those fibers which are like little springs.

And I'm more guilty than anyone of overthinking, but as I've said elsewhere I have only one grow under my belt so I have to research and ask unending questions to try and get a sense of technique. Like plugging into the Matrix and inserting the OBBT card. Get as much virtual "experience" as I can through the collective.