What's new

The Next LED Rage: Quality White LED Tubes

DWC_LED

Cool grow.

But I'm betting that the next "rage" will be high power, high output leds. The 100watt Chinese clusters on pc heatsyncs are un real for growing. Yeah you got to drive them and wire em up. But they are so much more simple then all these stupid diy led panels I keep seeing. People will wake up sooner or later. I've got 6 in my box, with 2 300 watt 11 band panels. But I feel like the 6x 100 watters do all the work.
Cheers

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
LED tech is moving ahead very quickly in order to light larger spaces, like multiple 2 x4 overhead lighting fixtures in businesses and warehouses. at a reasonable price. Consequently, LED diode efficiency is essential. Although relatively new, LED tubes are already morphing into panels. :woohoo:

100w clusters are in essence point sources, which can lead to dead spots if not properly laid out. I think if you measure the light at 2ft from center it will be ~ 1/3 of that directly under the light. For a small grower this means positioning the adjacent 100wers closer to assure uniform light. Too close and you get hot spots from the overlap, too far away, the opposite

Also, they may well require an increased distance from the canopy to avoid bleaching.

Most tents do not have enough height should a fixture need to be 24-36" above the canopy

As soon as I get my 60w 2 x 2 panels, I will be moving away from overhead tubes however, they will provide excellent side lighting, or vertical lighting in tall thin closets.

In my mind, panels will better evenly distribute the umols of light over said area than 100w cluster, AND, allow me to keep them much closer to the canopy.

Last edited:

DWC_LED

why not do both? the panels will get you a lot farther down the road than you are... but the 100w will get you where you want to be. Keep in mind growers in the non led forums are preferring 1000w hps point sources. You might be surprised.

From personal experience, bleaching is only an issue if you get your buds with in 6" or so. Most people have the headroom.

As far as pannels, yes you can get closer, but a 100 x 3 watt 11 band...they can touch with no bleaching. I don't know where you are getting the "24 inch - 36 inch" ....maybe numbers for hps..?

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Because a bunch of 100w point sources make ZERO sense, especially when multiple tubes or panels are available.

5 @ 20w x 4ft tubes EVENLY covers an entire 2 x4 area with ~ 1700 lumens, as will 2 @ 2 x 2 60w panels, which I hope to have by the time my young'uns are ready to flower. That's plenty of light for the canopy, and easily penetrates 12-16". I will place the tubes on the sides a supplemental lighting below the canopy

Distance depends on lens angles, the tighter the angle the farther away the leds need to be.

Apache has a new 660. Tags420 has a thread on RIU with a video. He has experience with 1000w hps, so check that out.

As for 11 bands, what's the point? NW + WW cover all those bands

My suggestion is you wipe that old program and reboot your brain with some reading about light spectrums

why not do both? the panels will get you a lot farther down the road than you are... but the 100w will get you where you want to be. Keep in mind growers in the non led forums are preferring 1000w hps point sources. You might be surprised.

From personal experience, bleaching is only an issue if you get your buds with in 6" or so. Most people have the headroom.

As far as pannels, yes you can get closer, but a 100 x 3 watt 11 band...they can touch with no bleaching. I don't know where you are getting the "24 inch - 36 inch" ....maybe numbers for hps..?

Last edited:

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks JohnG. Long time no speak.

It's an interesting panel, but he continues to resist using NW + WW, which IMHO (based on my results among others) should comprise ~ 80% of the fixture

If you need to grow in a tiny space check out captainmorgans all Cree household bulbs on RIU. Further proof of what NW + WW can do

DWC_LED

haha man your results are laughable at best. Good luck. I mean that. Your results...well they speak for themselves. A wise man once said you can't cure stupid. Sorry I tried? At least i know what actually works! Good luck with your "tubes". Its pretty obvious you have experience with...jack shit.

I'm sorry was I supposed to say the "NEW RAGE IN LEDS!"

dude your household bulbs are for 17 year olds growing in their moms house in some atx case. GET REAL

DWC_LED

Further more the leds i was referring to do not have a lens... Proof that you don't know wtf you are running your mouth at.

Similar 100 watt systems with heat sync, driver , and LENS (which i am not running!) run for 649 on alibaba.

But back to the "household bulbs" - sorry for the thread jack... rock on!

positivity

Veteran
Lucky vg is doing a run with the integrated led. He'll provide proof of what's up with the technology.

Lets see...100w Chinese diode panel (alibaba,ebay,reseller) versus 100w cree or American quality led panel (area 51, apache, clw) . From results I've seen online both can produce well but the edge goes to USA premium leds for overall quality and efficiency. Not a landslide though admittedly.

What shines through in the us panels is the attention to detail. There pumping out new china panels everyday with a wide variety of styles trying to figure out what will sell.
China panels will get no more of my hard earned money due to the fact it's apparent they value sales more than building the best panel they can, that has also been tested, thoroughly.
Keep buying 100w china cobs...I'll wait for the USA (cree,Philips,etc) version

Anyways, good job pet flora. I value your opinion a lot more than someone with a box full of 100w integrated leds that hasn't shared jack.
If your box rocks, show it, lets see it. How's your efficiency (gpw) stuffing a bunch in a box?

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
One thing we learned from your posts, you are not the brightest bulb in your own tent

Not everyone is as fortunate as you to have both a sufficiently large space and the disposable income into which to needlessly piss their hard-earned money away

If yours was so awesome, why are you here?:moon: Please don't bother to answer that. The voices in your head are calling

haha man your results are laughable at best. Good luck. I mean that. Your results...well they speak for themselves. A wise man once said you can't cure stupid. Sorry I tried? At least i know what actually works! Good luck with your "tubes". Its pretty obvious you have experience with...jack shit.

I'm sorry was I supposed to say the "NEW RAGE IN LEDS!"

dude your household bulbs are for 17 year olds growing in their moms house in some atx case. GET REAL

DWC_LED

Personal insults aside, yall are in the dark.

You do realize Cree manufactures in China too. look it up.

But lets get this straight: The 100 watt chips are not panels.

Two completely different concepts.

http://dx.com/p/prime-100w-8000lm-led-emitter-metal-plate-pure-white-42806

(not where i get mine just a picture for reference, you guys clearly haven't seen these)

My grow space is 24 x 36, not my idea of sufficiently large.

And I'm going to answer your stupidly rhetorical question. The reason why I am here

is to try and help people like you. Your obviously content in your mediocrity, so I'll yeild.

I think hempfield summed up the entirety of this thread with his post on the first page.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I can't speak for the others you are calling out for being "in the dark", but I never said MChips are panels. I am well aware that they are not. It is you who is confused as to what a FIXTURE is and what a PANEL is

Chips are (repeating myself as you seem to have poor recollection) point sources, and unless those point sources lumen output is properly integrated among the adjacent point sources, you will have either poorly lit areas in between, or overly lit areas (hot spots). Neither is ideal

Panels (not fixtures), as I am talking about, have a uniform arrangement of diodes across the entire surface area, with one +/- connection. Using your space one 2 x 2 panel covers > 24" x 24" with ~ 6000 lumens, more than adequate to light a canopy. Supplement it with ~ 2000 lumens of side lighting and the result is tons of branches loaded with buds below the canopy.

I accidentally dislodged one tube this morning; it fell and broke the lowest branch (~ 12-18", as it is 6" long) trimmed it weighs 12gms.

View attachment 234371

That's all the input you get from me, and you likely won't get it

Whether Cree manufactures in China or not, is not the point either. Cree specs their products to a Rolls Royce standard and has QC to assure it is adhered to.

When China makes it's own knock off fixtures, they are known to cut corners, use lesser bin diodes, drivers, fans...

Personal insults aside, yall are in the dark.

You do realize Cree manufactures in China too. look it up.

But lets get this straight: The 100 watt chips are not panels.

Two completely different concepts.

http://dx.com/p/prime-100w-8000lm-led-emitter-metal-plate-pure-white-42806

(not where i get mine just a picture for reference, you guys clearly haven't seen these)

My grow space is 24 x 36, not my idea of sufficiently large.

And I'm going to answer your stupidly rhetorical question. The reason why I am here

is to try and help people like you. Your obviously content in your mediocrity, so I'll yeild.

I think hempfield summed up the entirety of this thread with his post on the first page.

Last edited:

DWC_LED

Well I guess your recollection must suck too. I clearly posted earlier that i use 6 x 100 chips or plates to supplement my two 100x3 watt diode PANELS. This does not create hotspots. By your logic using side lighting would create hot spots. Besides I mount the chips to pc heatsyncs, then those too security cam mounts. You can aim them where ever you want. Bleaching only occurs when buds get with in 6 inches.

I also love the assumption that because its made in usa people aren't going to cut corners. Remember all those imported Chinese fixtures that were rebranded and sold as usa fixtures? Pissed a lot of people off, shame that the Chinese seemed to take all the heat. Led tech is way beyond the days of digging for good xml bins. Your essentially arguing that Chinese 100 watt chips are too bright, and that Chinese made panels are not bright enough (ie bad bins, shotty construction) I don't disagree that if you spend 2 grand on some usa made hydro marketed led fixture it will be over a higher quality. I'm here to say that for a fraction of the money the Chineese stuff works fine. I've had no problems. I didn't mean to hijack your thread, but you speak with far too much certitude for one with no experience to back it. Not to mention the puny little buds.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Please show me where I said ALL Chinese products are shit and ALL US products are not

My tubes are Chinese made. The panels I am buying are Chinese made

So you are using 900w in a 24 x 36 space when half that is more than sufficient

You know what they say about 'over compensating"

Kinda like owning a Hemi to drive 3 miles to work. You can do it, but why? At least the new Hemis have an economy setting to operate on 4 cylinders

My shit grow is a combination of several experiments to show anyone who is interested (clearly not you, so why are you here again?) that a simple system and ~ 100w of led lighting will grow a fair amount of excellent mmj.

Were you to take that into account, you might have a different perspective on my thread, but then reading comprehension is clearly not your forte; clearly, being argumentative is

My guess is I will wind up with 2.5 dry oz from these 2 clones. That will last me a year, with plenty to share with my friends. Next grow the wattage will increase ~ 50%, consequently, I expect more

I will attempt to end this ridiculous conversation with this...
An uneducated consumer is a marketers dream

DWC_LED

2.5 oz laugh out loud

dude I pulled 13 out of my box my first run with bagseed! too much weed = overkill? You my friend are hopeless. No doubt is it excessive, but I like big yields and thats what I get. Please show me where i said, that you said that all Chinese products are shit. You continually make uneducated claims with no proof to back anything up, and then want to debate semantics. While I whole heartily want to have an honest debate on the premise, (ie what the new "rage in leds" is) you on the other hand can't argue your point at all. Then you resort to disparaging remarks. Good luck with your tubes.

I did find the "not the brightest bulb in the tent" comment a bit entertaining as i grow with diodes only, in a cabinet. I think that pretty much ends this discussion. Rock on

Please show me where I said ALL Chinese products are shit and ALL US products are not

My tubes are Chinese made. The panels I am buying are Chinese made

So you are using 900w in a 24 x 36 space when half that is more than sufficient

You know what they say about 'over compensating"

Kinda like owning a Hemi to drive 3 miles to work. You can do it, but why? At least the new Hemis have an economy setting to operate on 4 cylinders

My shit grow is a combination of several experiments to show anyone who is interested (clearly not you, so why are you here again?) that a simple system and ~ 100w of led lighting will grow a fair amount of excellent mmj.

Were you to take that into account, you might have a different perspective on my thread, but then reading comprehension is clearly not your forte; clearly, being argumentative is

My guess is I will wind up with 2.5 dry oz from these 2 clones. That will last me a year, with plenty to share with my friends. Next grow the wattage will increase ~ 50%, consequently, I expect more

I will attempt to end this ridiculous conversation with this...
An uneducated consumer is a marketers dream

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
13 (what? ozs I presume, hell he might think pounds) out of a 24 x 26" area?

13 oz out of his ass is more like it. Anybody seen any of his pics or his thread?

2.5 oz from a TEST using only 110w- he keeps forgetting that. Is it his lack of reading comprehension skillz at work, or is it ADD?

Let's extrapolate; he is using 900w supposedly, and got 13 ozs, again supposedly. Now, if I increased my wattage 900% = 9xs (to equal his wattage) x 2.5oz/100w= why that's over 22ozs.

Hopefully he disappears back into the woodwork

Last edited:

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ws'up Hemp.

I guess you are referring to the Russian cosmonaut who says "American components, Russian
components, all made in Taiwan" then proceeds to beat the shit out the frame and it finally engages

hehe

positivity

Veteran
Lol, 13oz, from 900w is pretty sad....in his defense it probably is a bit less watts. The 100w integrated probably runs at 70w or so. My 90w runs at 60w. Still wouldn't brag about that though

Sorry if I implied all china leds suck. I just got two that haven't done much of anything. I've never had such a bad experience with a set of lights. The particular ones I bought are not the greatest. I'm sure there are lots of worthy leds that hail from overseas.

Didn't even realize the bickering was still going on. Just wanted to set a few things straight.

Hope you can get the thread back on track