What's new

The New & Improved [ROLS MEGATHREAD].

Status
Not open for further replies.

solveforpattern

Hello there, first time poster here (on any forum ever)
I have been lurking, reading everything i can - just soaking it all in.
I would of course like to thank cc, mm, gas, and everyone else for this enlightening and paradigm-shifting fact-based discussion/information. You are doing great work.

No questions really, i feel like everything has been covered many times over, and i've done my homework.

I want to share this with you all, CC & gas especially- i think you will get a kick out of this if you haven't all ready seen it...

seattle butcher spikes pig feed with weed

William von Schneidau, an intrepid butcher in Seattle, is giving a whole new meaning to "potbelly pig." Lately, he's been feeding marijuana refuse to the pigs he turns into prosciutto for BB Ranch, his butcher shop in the city's famous Pike Place Market.

This cracks my shit up.
"greenwave" here we come.

solveforpattern

hi, me again.
i just thought my last post could be considered off topic/incomplete so i'll try and bring it back around.
i've been hesitant to post at all as to not muddy the stream, but....

i've been studying organic gardening/growing plants for most of my adult life. years ago when i first started studying the first gardening books i picked up just felt wrong/unnatural. i followed my gut and ended up discovering a slew of PNW authors with great outlooks about growing vegetables. from there i got on the Fukuoka, Sepp Holzer, Toby Hemenwaytrip.
To me though, the methods presented and outlined by you gentlemen are the most appealing. fact based, open minded, and free of ego. thank you again.

this is my first foray into indoor gardening. i feel lucky to be starting on the right foot, from the beginning. i feel i have little to "unlearn" in some regard, again gratefully.
my worm bins been going strong for 4 years now, and i have 2 bock14 comfrey plants that i have been using for compost for 4 yeas as well.

i'm sick of the shitty pot, most of it "organic" that i can find so i'm taking things into my own hands. i will also be growing medicine for a family member in remission from brain cancer.

i was able to source nearly everything locally for me at one of the great stores often mentioned. i'm driving to eugene tomorrow to buy karanja meal, everything else is in hand. (i couldn't believe it but not one pdx nursery/gardening/"hydro" store that i called carries it...)

i'm pumped, and i guess i'll probably be pretty quite most of the time.
know i'll be here reading everything though, hahaa.
but again i just want to say thank you to everyone here, especially cc, mm, and gas.
you guys rock!

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
solveforpattern

I assume you're driving to Eugene to hit Down-To-Earth's main store for the Karanja meal, right? Don't go - it's not worth the drive.

Contact NeemResource.com for neem or karanja oils, meals, leaves, etc. Certified organic (Organic Trade Association) and costs less than the products from Down-To-Earth, Dyna Gro, etc. The organic versions contain 3x the compounds that function as pesticide and fungicides.

Not to mention that DTE pretty much sucks all the way around on pricing - they are the perfect fit for Hydro Heaven operations.

HTH

CC

solveforpattern

CC

hahaha, i was just wondering about the quality difference myself. I was trying to get around the $50 shipping charge from neemrescource.com ...but there's really no reason for me to buy an inferior product. pulling the trigger... (and saving myself 4 hours in the car! .dumb.)
thanks for the quick reply, it does help!

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
solveforpattern

I understand about the S&H so maybe this is a better way. The shipping costs on full bags is out of their control, it's UPS and some reasons that don't matter.

If you use 1/2 cup to 1 c.f. of potting soil, that's only 4 oz. of meal. They sell 5 lb. bags of neem and karanja meals. A single bag would treat 20 c.f. of potting soil - about .75 cubic yard.

You don't need or want to high-dose with these meals. This small amount will give you what you want as far as insect and disease suppression.

CC

solveforpattern

cc

again, thanks for a thoughtful reply and alternative.
i extrapolated a mix of yours to 10 cf of soil, so that smaller bag would last me a while.
however, i am just going to "bite the bullet" so to speak get the bigger bag. the math puts it at about half cost per lb.

prices (including shipping)
5 lbs organic neem cake $25 delivered ($5 a lb.)
44 lbs " " $104 delivered ($2.37 a lb.)

i feel it to be a good amendment for my veggie garden too, and in general i like to have things on hand. anything to save a trip/save a buck! (i've got 40/50 lb bags of everything else anyway....)

anyway, pleasure conversing with you sir. i feel i owe you a debt of gratitude...

Blueberry78

Hey guys, I'm new to the thread. Ill be setting up a 4x4 soma style grow bed & I have some questions for you fine people. I'm 100 pages into the original thread & I'm wondering about cooking the soil. Ill be growing in a tent & I'm wondering if the bed will need light durring the cooking process? It seems to me that bacteria likes light, hence the fact that refrigerators don't have lights on when the door is closed. Just a guess.....hahaha. So I'm wondering if I can cook the soil in the dark, or should I run my blackdog?

Also, I have 25 blumats on the way from Germany & I'm wondering if it would be bennificial to run a small air pump to keep the resevuar from getting stagnant & keep oxygen levels up? I know there is a huge blumat thread, but I thought some of you og's might have the answer to this......hint hint Microbe Man

I need to get this shiz cookin, I've got 10 dj short beans just waiting to be poped.

This thread has been sooooo educational to me, I'm greatful for all of your guys hard work here! Thanks guys

Peace

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
you can "cook" soil in the dark ~seems clear you dont mean cook literally but ~dont

nothing wrong w/ aerating your reservoir ~blumats might clog w/ particulates but not w/ aeration

dreadlock

good read, has me glued to the screen! full of information & words of wisdom from experienced growers, What more could you want :) thanks for sharing the information guys..

got a few questions, which have likely been answered somewhere already.. i'll let you know once finished reading. talk soon...

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Ill be growing in a tent & I'm wondering if the bed will need light durring the cooking process?

I'm wondering if it would be bennificial to run a small air pump to keep the resevuar from getting stagnant & keep oxygen levels up?

Peace

No to your first question and absolutely yes to your second question for the reasons you noted.

VOE

CC

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Speaking of grease, if Russia attacked Turkey from the rear would Greece help?

You put your right hand in, you take your right hand out
You put your right hand in and you shake it all about

And you do the hokie pokie and your turn yourself around
'cause that's what it's all about

Wearing loose-fitting cargo shorts only adds to the experience......

Gascanastan

Gone but NOT forgotten...
Veteran
No-toll No-till.....

So far only $14 in molasses for an ACT,and pennies worth of Agsil16....next up a SST using a mix of Nile Black and regular sprouting barley...maybe $5 worth of grains.

picture.php

invocation

Gas what kind of nutes are you running? Are you using the full AN line including budcandy? I use the grape flavor so my buds taste like grape. Make sure you don't use neem cause it will ruin your flavor.

PS Poured the new SST 3.0 Bob Red's Malted Barley Flour on some plants. Stay tuned.......

Last edited:

Gascanastan

Gone but NOT forgotten...
Veteran
Gas what kind of nutes are you running? Are you using the full AN line including budcandy? I use the grape flavor so my buds taste like grape. Make sure you don't use neem cause it will ruin your flavor.

PS Poured the new SST 3.0 Bob Red's Malted Barley Flour on some plants. Stay tuned.......

Pretty funny when you stop to think about how effective this whole deal can be...and never even venture into a hydro-store...ever.
Hardly anything will be used this cycle expect a topdress mix containing fish meal,kelp meal,screened Oly Mtn compost,and neem seed meal.....a few ACT's,and a few SST's......

So....now that I've had several cycles of no-till in 5 gallon buckets under my belt,I've become confident in true living soil's ability to support a high quality good yielding cannabis crop (as usual)

I will get a decent yield and high quality flowers that have the goods~

invocation

Pretty funny when you stop to think about how effective this whole deal can be...and never even venture into a hydro-store...ever.
Hardly anything will be used this cycle expect a topdress mix containing fish meal,kelp meal,screened Oly Mtn compost,and neem seed meal.....a few ACT's,and a few SST's......

So....now that I've had several cycles of no-till in 5 gallon buckets under my belt,I've become confident in true living soil's ability to support a high quality good yielding cannabis crop (as usual)

I will get a decent yield and high quality flowers that have the goods~

My point indeed sir. Since following ROLS and no Till ways I have steered clear of hydroshop visits myself. I do stop over from time to time to get odds n ends like trellis or an emergency bulb.

I could go on and fuckin on but for the newbs.... This is healthy for yourself/others, the earth, healthy to your pocketbook, gives your more options, gives you better control, and most produces the best quality flowers your eyes will ever see. Not to mention pest control and other benefits.

Anyhow, I love this shit, lol literally. From sourcing the amendments to bullshitting in the threads. It gives me something to look forward to besides chilling with my family. It fits my lifestyle and makes others around me happy :dance013:

Status
Not open for further replies.