What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The New Chocolate Thai

Stocktont

Veteran
behind the house plant

picture.php

JohnnyChicago

Yea the countryside is a different trip than many other places where westerners go like Bangkok and some of the islands/beaches in the south. Both places have their pros and cons. It’s not always easy being the only farang in a village. Everyone will know who you are, where you live, what you do, when and what you eat, if you drink, smoke etc. Don’t make any mistake about that LOL, they will know. It’s good if they like you and you get lost or just take a walk, I get people stopping me all the time asking me if they can give me a ride. They know my wife and her family and they know exactly what brand of beer I drink. But it’s not good as if the cops would ever look for you, they’d find you right away. If you fuck up everyone will know it’s you. It’s way more possible to blend into the surroundings at one of the tourist destinations or in Bangkok, there you’re just another farang.

the deal with meth is horrible but that is the case wherever meth goes I think. it’s wide spread all over the country and every family seem to have at least one member in jail for distribution of it. Horrible drug and horrible consequences too.

The repression is also fear of the men in brown, it’s not like most places in the world, they don’t mess about so most people, even the law abiding citizens, want nothing to do with them.

well the thing with the smile bit, I don’t know if it was ever in that way most of us western people imagined it. We don’t understand how they think on fundamental levels as our cultures are so different. But there’s still a lot of smile and you get a long way, much longer than with anger and aggression, using your own smile and a laugh. Things have changed all over the world and yes Thailand and Thais sure have changed too. But if you have a happy go lucky attitude and smile all the time it’s still pretty easy to enjoy life here. But you have got to see things for what they are, not everyone’s out to help you in all places. Like the rest of the world.

sukuthai is in the central parts of Isaan right? Did you go to the oldest monuments in the area, it’s rich with Thai history.

All the people in the villages around did know we were there and where extactly we were staying. Thousends of people. Police came regulary look for us. There was the need to get protected. At night we had to stay in the house. We first staid in the "cab" I have posted above. Then we had to move in grandpas house, with bars on windows and so on. He was the richest in the village as he had been a cook on cruise ships. There was a real security issue. Most of the people there, especially the young, knew white people only from looking TV.
Not easy, is the least I can say.

And no it's not Isaan, but the plains of the North. A lot of ruins there sparsed everywhere, where you don't expect.

The weed was in general more dark than what I got elsewhere. Also greener. But have had stuff from laos that was very dark too, almost black. Koh Samui/Phangan all golden/yellow stuff. Koh chang cambdodian weed for sure. But the hippies there did grow their own and not sell to tourists. It was brown reddish and of course unpressed. This was before they built the airport in trat. Ganja paradise :)
Haven't been to Thailand since.

Stocktont

Veteran
All the people in the villages around did know we were there and where extactly we were staying. Thousends of people. Police came regulary look for us. There was the need to get protected. At night we had to stay in the house. We first staid in the "cab" I have posted above. Then we had to move in grandpas house, with bars on windows and so on. He was the richest in the village as he had been a cook on cruise ships. There was a real security issue. Most of the people there, especially the young, knew white people only from looking TV.
Not easy, is the least I can say.

And no it's not Isaan, but the plains of the North. A lot of ruins there sparsed everywhere, where you don't expect.

The weed was in general more dark than what I got elsewhere. Also greener. But have had stuff from laos that was very dark too, almost black. Koh Samui/Phangan all golden/yellow stuff. Koh chang cambdodian weed for sure. But the hippies there did grow their own and not sell to tourists. It was brown reddish and of course unpressed. This was before they built the airport in trat. Ganja paradise :)
Haven't been to Thailand since.

oh sorry Sukhothai is central or more to Chang Mai/Rai way sorry. I live down south and don’t get around much north east or west. There’s some great weed in Chang Mai and Rai too, sometimes that even gets down south but it is rare these days, at least where I go about.

it can be dangerous in many places but that sounds much worse than down south though there’s a lot of violence there too I have just been blessed with not having to stay in houses with bars or anything, that sounds not right.

I lived on Samui for a few years and I spent a lot of time on the neighboring island too though always when it wasn’t full moon. The brown I posted before I got in that area but there were a lot of green stuff too as there is all over the south. Some comes from the northern neighbors like Laos etc. and some I am sure has been grown down south. Local usually is the best. When were you on Phangan, I can tell you it’s very dry and secret on that island these days, not at all like it used to be. I always brought my own when going there and always finished it before going home as they would even check with dogs sometimes when you went back to the bigger island. Phangan is a nice island though, one of the best places in the south to chill, smoke a nice joint (if you brought some nice or manage to find some good without hassle on the island) and just take a drive with a bike and have a beer on one of the mountaintop/side bars with views. Fantastic place. These days you can even fly to Malaysia straight from the little bamboo airport on Samui and back the next day for visa trips.

JohnnyChicago

I did not like Koh Phangan at all. It was in 2000. Full of tourists. Just like spring break or Mallorca in Europe. And we were not even there for full moon.... Cops everywhere controlling people on both islands. All the time. On Samui I got emptied my pockets 3 times by the police. We were happy to leave. Really. All of us. But there was a severe repression going on around 1999-2002.

Koh Chang I did enter the bar next to the police station (2 police officers for the whole island, 2nd largest island of thailand). Before even getting asked what I wanted to drink I got offered prerolled joint by the bar maid for free. On the beach we were keeping our big bags of weed on the table. No problem at all. You could even go sleep, let in on the table till the next day.

Stocktont

Veteran
I did not like Koh Phangan at all. It was in 2000. Full of tourists. Just like spring break or Mallorca in Europe. And we were not even there for full moon.... Cops everywhere controlling people on both islands. All the time. On Samui I got emptied my pockets 3 times by the police. We were happy to leave. Really. All of us. But there was a severe repression going on around 1999-2002.

Koh Chang I did enter the bar next to the police station (2 police officers for the whole island, 2nd largest island of thailand). Before even getting asked what I wanted to drink I got offered prerolled joint by the bar maid for free. On the beach we were keeping our big bags of weed on the table. No problem at all. You could even go sleep, let in on the table till the next day.

Today it’s a bit the same on Phangan but on Samui I never been stopped but once, but I was an employee of an organization they approved of, so they took a selfie with me and were all nice in that check-point but that is not the norm I know but Samui is much more chill today but Phangan somehow got that drug stamps why would that be, haha, so they check there but I never been searched on Samui living there about three years of my life. I still have family on that island and went just a few months last time. But like we talked about, one has to be smart and know what’s up to fare well in most places of the country and on those islands in particular. I lived a few years on another big island in the south west and it’s ”same same, but different” as the old 90s saying goes.

I never went to the Koh Chang to the east, I went to the one close to the Myanmar border in the north/west. Maybe I should go visit the other one but the one I went to was nice too. I brought my own weed and I had to pay for that through endless military checks before the ferry out to that island as it was so close to the border, but I traveled with a big Thai family so they never paid much attention to me. When finally arrived I smoked a few big ones and went down to the hotel bar from where I took the picture. We arrived to the island by ferry (1 hour from Ranong) and then got driven from the arriving beach of the island to the other side, to the west, where our hotel was located on the beach. There was a sort of reggae bar on the beach that was built like some sort of ship from drift-wood on the beach. Really nice beach, it had a kind of mussel that you could catch in the sand just where the waves broke. You would see where they were dug down as there were two small air holes in the sand, just stick your hand down like one inch and grab a fist full of sand and you have one. They gather like a big coke bottle (2 liters) and fill it then cook it. They make a soup from it that is just divine, not spicy but flavorful and savory and just irresistible.

the pictures are from Koh Phayam, west of Koh Chang, the other Koh Chang, not the known one in the Gulf of Thailand but the one close to Myanmar, formerly known as Burma, in the Andaman Sea.

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

JohnnyChicago

On the way to Koh Chang near Cambodian border was or still is a large military zone with plenty of checkpoints. But we had a police officer as taxi driver. Was nice.
We brought no weed to Koh Chang. But Temple Balls :D

Stocktont

Veteran
On the way to Koh Chang near Cambodian border was or still is a large military zone with plenty of checkpoints. But we had a police officer as taxi driver. Was nice.
We brought no weed to Koh Chang. But Temple Balls :D

hahaha yes it helps to have a cop driving your car or arguing your case, I have had similar experiences and it’s nice to know it’s all taken care of. When you pay the right people, it’s never a problem hehe. I got Nepalese Hash on one of those south islands just a few years back, hand rubbed like the old balls, tasted the same and hit the same. Really nice to mix with the regular good green thai, like meditation with your eyes (and mouth) open. There’s so many things that are wonderful when smoking good cannabis and chill in that part of Asia. Fruits and some other things that might be considered drugs but they’re also soft…

it’s a nice place in many places, and there’s nice fruits…

The last one with the front of the long-tail boat and the mountains and the clouds and the sky and the sun, it’s from a dam in the Surat Thani province where they have floating resorts, I went a few times and it’s really cool. Inside a national park they have a dam made by humans in modern times between mountains. When they made this one and you would go to the other end it’s like visiting a place many people hadn’t that didn’t live there before. Now it’s just an hour and a half or a bit more to get from one end to the other. Really cool place, someone close to me used to work there long time ago.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

MallardDuck

Beautiful pictures Stocktont! I am interested in that boat. I'm kind of a canoeing and boat nut. Is that a traditional Thai canoe? Is there a significance to those coloured pieces of fabric attached to the bow? Paddling there looks dreamy... i'll put it on my list :)

Stocktont

Veteran
Beautiful pictures Stocktont! I am interested in that boat. I'm kind of a canoeing and boat nut. Is that a traditional Thai canoe? Is there a significance to those coloured pieces of fabric attached to the bow? Paddling there looks dreamy... i'll put it on my list :)

oh, no it’s not a paddle thing, they had a noisy diesel engine, probably for a truck or something that they converted to the ”long-tail-boats” which operate through out the south. So it’s pretty big bit what you see is just the tip. It would take about 20-30 people easily, more if needed. 1 to 1.5 hours would be traveling at full speed to the destination. Usually they make stops, which are quite worth the time lol. The colors are traditional thai and Buddhism things wrapped for ”good luck” in lack of better translation. they have it everywhere, I have it in my car too. You can see it around trees at some places or at some temples in some corners.

Stocktont

Veteran
Here few impressions from Koh Chang:

The pier (on the mainland with sight on Koh Chang)

View Image

White Sand beach, the most busiest beach
The hotel resorts where are they? :D

View Image

And the beach where I had my bungalow. Nowadays full of hotel resorts...
View Image View Image

oh nice, I have to visit one time. I have had friends going there and they recommended it but I never had the time/chance to go yet.. will do..

MallardDuck

Really cool Stocktont... do you know the origins of the hull design? Its definitely a design I have seen before in photographs, is it one adapted from a traditional design from one of the local tribes*? (*not sure if this is the right word) How fast do you think they travel? The water there is so calm its like glass... what time of year would be best if I wanted to paddle around in those conditions?

Very cool about the fabric... it was something I associated more with India/Nepal I didn't realize other places used those colours as well. Its very interesting how many cultures bless their boats with tokens of good luck, viking ship eyes painted on the front, I guess respect of water and the ocean is universal in us :)

Sorry for peppering you with questions... you photos are so interesting I want to learn more. :)

TheDarkStorm

When you are stupid it is the same as when you are dead.
Everyone understands that except you.

If landraces contains more cbd then ''Dutch and American'' genetics.
And D & A american genetics are being breed out of landraces,and they dont have any CBD or very small amount we can conclude that cbd is being breed out of this genetics.

No I dont grow 5 years I grow 13 years and consider myself top noch grower.
And people that try my stuff also confrms this.
I grew in soil,coco,E&F,DWC and now made my own sistem which i called RDWC.

Did you test those samples you smoked so you know what is cananbinoid picture of THAI strains ?
What are you growing right now ?
What are you smokeing right now ?

:moon:

What happened to you growing so called FH hybrids in 1988/89....you know the heavy pine and sandalwood type you keep going on about(a profile that matches the original hazeC and not hazeA that was all liver and leather or Fh ).

Thcvhunter

Veteran
maybe somebody credible will chime in and say, I was in Cambodia/Laos/Thailand and all we got was chocolate weed :D then I will believe it. but somebody with credit. drawoh´s choc "thai", it looks very similar to hybrids from Sinaloa... View Image

This is a really good point.

I grew out some old BEL Hawaiian seeds and found a male that was more Mexican than many had seen in a long, long time. Guys from DCC and Vibes said they hadn't seen that kind of Mexican after the commercial polution in the mid/late-70's in Mexico. It was very subtle/feminine, multi-colored with beautiful reds and pink/purple, and incredible vigor on such delicate structure.

The basis of the Hawaiian work the Brotherhood of Love did was on the backbone of Mexican x Afghan.

If you look at what Dept of Defense and DoS were doing in SE Asia by the late 60's, building commercial airline companies just to transport all the drugs they were distributing for global production, its easy to see how quickly and ubiquitously genetics got polluted, with Thai(and that region) being the go-to in the 60s and 70s until we set up shop in the home of Zorastrian religions - the Middle East.

Its even more intersting to see how the Air America guys learned from the wisdom of the various Thai peoples in how to produce, process, and proliferate high grade cannabis and then a decade later did the same with Hindu Kush region.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
I spoke to Andy a bit on the Thai weed seen he told me most is being grown out of Thailand now and smuggled in clearly its been that way for some years.

Sure you still have many inside Thailand still growing there personal and a little for commercial but nothing like it was once.

A lot of dutch weeds grown there to now.

Why would you risk it in Thailand when you can cross the river and grow it there with little to no hassle.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
great post xerb. from Mexico. that explains the fact Australian growers never got any choc thai in such form as Americans talk about it. not thai at all.

We had plenty of Thai and still do Highland and lowland Thais why post misinformation MAHA ?.

all this information fits the fact that Australian growers couldn't get chocolate "thai" from Thailand. as it was produced in and imported from Mexico. great post!!! I really apreciate you share your knowledge with bro. it is exactly what I thought, that it is some hybrid of some kind, which was just sold as thai, but not pure thai at all. have great day.

I am telling you we got boat load after boat load MAHA you were not here and do you even know what chock Thai is ?. It is still being grown here and can be found .

Thai being grown in Mexico is believable but lots were grown in Cali to by people maybe not as much as here but it was there.

Chock Thai is a high land Thai sativa.
good morning gentlemen ,
i often wondered what the americans were referring to with the talk of choc thai ,
and if we got it here in oz ,,
so when there was talk about it in a thread of tom hills , i asked the question ,
and no it was not in thai stick form according to tom , it was compressed stuff in the shape of a cow pad,

we didnt get that here ,
long after the thai stick was gone we did get some compressed weed which later i found it was the same as what is available in thailand now , reputed to be grown in laos ,
but from my investigations we did not get what the americans were calling choc thai ....

i did grow some thai here that had a bit of an easter egg chocolate aroma to it , was nice herb , and it also dried to a brown color, no idea if it was related to what our american cousins referred to as choc thai though ...

the seeds were sourced locally , not from thailand ..

a buddy is sending me some seeds labelled choc thai , from thailand , via canada ,
so i will likely see what they are like in time ...

highland , lowland thai , how would we know??,
best guess there is its doubtful much weed was grown in the hightlands and exported i dont think they grew enough to export ,

most of what us westerners saw was most likely grown in lowlands in the north east isaan area , and possible from laos in later years as that compressed stuff i mentioned may indicate ..

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
Most of the early Thai we got Donald was high land how do i know simple it was not what we call narrow leaf Thai sativa it had a more broad leaf to it compared to the low land Thai sativas.

They looked more like an old school Colombian sativa and then after harvest would dry dark brown.

Going by Steve DeAngelo of Harborside chock Thai landed in 83 in the US and for a short period but one guy one opinion.