What's new

The New Breeder's Nightmare - no males!

G

Ok so I did some searching and wasn't able to locate anything in particular (other than forcing hermi's) on how to solve this one.

Let's say in the example, BillyBob wants to work on a Blueberry x AK48. He purchases the seeds (regular, NOT feminized) and begins growing them out all at once. Most would consider Bob lucky in that he got 20 females out of 20 seeds...but now Bob is upset because no males=no pollen=no crossing.

So just curious as I'm sure many have run into this - should Bob just keep on buyin/sowing until a male pops up or is there a trick that the pro's use to ensure they at least get 1 male outta the bunch.

Last edited:

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Personally I think billybob should keep the best female he finds in cutting form, and order some more of the pack he hasnt got a keeper from. Then find his groom to be.

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
I would think 'treat 'em mean, keep 'em keen' would be the philosophy - as in, treat the seeds and seedlings roughly. It could create conditions where more males are favoured in order to keep the line going.

FOE20

Parthenocarpe Diem
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Elevator Man said:
I would think 'treat 'em mean, keep 'em keen' would be the philosophy - as in, treat the seeds and seedlings roughly. It could create conditions where more males are favoured in order to keep the line going.
This is about right...actually its right on...I usually get great Female rates..most folks would say above avr Fem as in 85-90% fem from any seed..But this is cause my enviro doesn't change at all..No flux in temp, air flow, water/feeding management..I also run 24/0 veg..
For more Male ratios let me tell you the Tap root Theory based on Russian Botany..
Simply put...If a Tap root bottoms out and turns on the bottom of the container (root stress) prior to sexing it lowers the % to a 50/50 M/F...
For more Females I start seedlings in 6 or 10"in containers and not beer cups or transucent pots..
Keep temps warmer as Cold will add to Male ratio to..
Robert Clarks MJ Botany covers this more and very clearly..Cooler waterings, cooler temps and shallow containers spells Males to me.. Happy hunting
FOE20

G

Perfect! Thanks everyone! I knew there had to be tricks to promote male development. Amazing how when ya dont want males they pop up, and when all you're after are multiple males (for better selection breeding) ya can't get a single one...haha

purp&kush

FOE20 said:
This is about right...actually its right on...I usually get great Female rates..most folks would say above avr Fem as in 85-90% fem from any seed..But this is cause my enviro doesn't change at all..No flux in temp, air flow, water/feeding management..I also run 24/0 veg..
For more Male ratios let me tell you the Tap root Theory based on Russian Botany..
Simply put...If a Tap root bottoms out and turns on the bottom of the container (root stress) prior to sexing it lowers the % to a 50/50 M/F...
For more Females I start seedlings in 6 or 10"in containers and not beer cups or transucent pots..
Keep temps warmer as Cold will add to Male ratio to..
Robert Clarks MJ Botany covers this more and very clearly..Cooler waterings, cooler temps and shallow containers spells Males to me.. Happy hunting
FOE20
goodpost.gif

G

GhostToker

Interesting. Just a thought pretty much along the same lines: less-than-honorable breeders could use feminised seeds to protect their monopolies on certain genetics that way. Pump out only fem seeds, making it impossible for others, like Nirvana for instance, to make knock off F2's by breeding a male and a female. Good thing Microsoft and Apple keep their paws out of cannabis lol!

happyherb

no wuckin furries!
Veteran
i noticed a while back with a laundry cuboard i use....the floor is ceramic tile ....summer temps are cool and not cold on the floor and easy get 60 % fems ....in winter on the other hand the floor is freezing and should really have some foam on it...in the colder enviroment i have found up around the 80% male ...cant say 100 % that colder temp do the trick to get more males....but i have found more males in cooler temps.HH.

Rgd

Veteran
"Good thing Microsoft and Apple keep their paws out of cannabis lol!"

Yes,one would hermi on yah
and have tracking device bred into it.
The other would be called I-Bud

OG bub

~Cannabis-Resinous~
ICMag Donor
Veteran
GMT said:
Personally I think billybob should keep the best female he finds in cutting form, and order some more of the pack he hasnt got a keeper from. Then find his groom to be.

Yep!

and in the mean time, youll be able to look thru more mothers aswell!

look at this as less a nightmare, and more an opportunity!

Peace, bub.