What's new

the need to pollinate a few clones

redlevels

I've read the following:

"Always breed a few buds for seeds, even if you expect to be cloning most of the time, you could get wiped out, and have nothing but your seeds left to start over."

So now I'm left wondering, what's the best thing to do to pollinate your clones if you have no viable pollen from a worthy male?

if the clone is forced to hermi and produce pollen, will the inbred seeds have the traits of the original mother? like if it's a bluebery mother, will some of the resultings seeds have that blueberry trait?

OG bub

~Cannabis-Resinous~
ICMag Donor
Veteran
redlevels said:
I've read the following:

"Always breed a few buds for seeds, even if you expect to be cloning most of the time, you could get wiped out, and have nothing but your seeds left to start over."

So now I'm left wondering, what's the best thing to do to pollinate your clones if you have no viable pollen from a worthy male??

its not a bad idea to make some seed, if you have the resources.

redlevels said:
if the clone is forced to hermi and produce pollen, will the inbred seeds have the traits of the original mother? like if it's a bluebery mother, will some of the resultings seeds have that blueberry trait?

yes, and yes.
but personally, Id find a Male that you like, do a pollination, and mabey do a Bx to the original clone mother.

Bxing is not a verry timely process, and can easily begin to give you a higher percentage in seed, of phenos dominant to the mothers traits.

Im not a practitioner of selfing/femming, so I dont really promote the tech, but some folks do great selfing/femming.

Peace, bub.

G

its the mistake many breeders make...breed the weed dont self it.....peace

Rosy Cheeks

dancin' cheek to cheek
Veteran
redlevels said:

Yes I agree, and what is equally important, try crossing the strains or phenos you think will be killer, but also try things you have no idea what it will give.

Some of the more sought for genetics out there were simply accidents in the growroom.

Whenever I pay a lot of money for seeds, while there is no guarantee that I will get a plant that justifies the investment I've made, I seed some plants and make F2:s, to enlarge the genepool in order to find that special one. Paying a fortune for ten seeds, all who might not make it to flower, is kind of like a lottery with limited possibilities to win, unless the breeder has done a very good job. I concider that you're not actually paying for seeds, but access to genetics.

redlevels said:
So now I'm left wondering, what's the best thing to do to... if you have no viable pollen from a worthy male?

Buy some seeds and make males. You don't have to buy every hyped up strain out there at any price, just get some quality genetics that fits your type of smoke. That way you participate in keeping professional breeders afloat, and a larger variety accessible on the market.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts