What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Myth of Gypsum Magic

dramamine

Thanks. Those are last Spring's/Summer's results of years of wrestling with hard water and changing organic amendments.

Many of the amendments and additions I've referenced went into those plants.

The 3rd, 5th, and 6th from the top are Arjan's original Greenhouse Seeds Super Lemon Haze, from clone to clone, nearing 20+ years old.
Real nice structure on that SLH.

moose eater

Real nice structure on that SLH.
She often has somewhat strange spacing between the branches, and her side branches don't form very often in the typical way other plants do.

She has a definitive lemon odor even pre-ripe, but DEFINITELY a pleasant lemon nose on her when she's ripe.

Her resin/trichomes is/are plentiful and she literally feels like handling damp coarse brown sugar when harvesting.

She's only a bit better than moderately productive, though sometimes not bad, but a keeper and a half. She was a gift from a former friend in the bush over 2 decades ago, on the request that I keep her alive.

Lethargy on my part this last winter, with moods, life rollercoasters, etc., almost cost her the future. But she's resilient as all get out.

Of the clones I took from my angry and root-bound mommas before my recent trip to the bush, hers have close to the highest survival rate at the moment, out of 4 strains that I didn't take the axe to... And they were some of the most pitiful plants I've ever cloned from.

The others being Ghost Train Haze #1, Satori #5, and Goji OG #8. There might be another in there, but I don't think so.

Old Uncle Ben

Thanks. Those are last Spring's/Summer's results of years of wrestling with hard water and changing organic amendments.

Many of the amendments and additions I've referenced went into those plants.

The 3rd, 5th, and 6th from the top are Arjan's original Greenhouse Seeds Super Lemon Haze, from clone to clone, nearing 20+ years old.
That is an oldie! I still have some that old stuff, over 20 years old. I have quite a few crosses, most not grown out that I did way back then - Peak19 X O. Haze, C99 X Haze.

I've watched some of his YouTube videos with great interests. Treks to boonies to collect rare varieties like his Congo trip, one to visit a very remote Indian village for Malana weed, hand rubbed hash.

I came up with the 4 Main cola pruning technique. Year or so later I'm checking out one of his gardens and lo and behold, what do I see......?

moose eater

That is an oldie! I still have some that old stuff, over 20 years old. I have quite a few crosses, most not grown out that I did way back then - Peak19 X O. Haze, C99 X Haze.

I've watched some of his YouTube videos with great interests. Treks to boonies to collect rare varieties like his Congo trip, one to visit a very remote Indian village for Malana weed, hand rubbed hash.

I came up with the 4 Main cola pruning technique. Year or so later I'm checking out one of his gardens and lo and behold, what do I see......?
I just killed my 25-year-old California Indica (Dronkers Sensi Seeds) that I brought back from a trip to see friends east of A-dam about 70 miles in 1997.

She was killer, easy to grow, bountiful in harvest, resinous to the 9's, and produced hashish that was very much like the old school blonde Lebanese.

I never knowingly crossed her with anything, just like my aging Goji, and others, as well as the SLH. That's not to say that some limited hanky panky might not have occurred with limited stress flowers by way of male pods in limited numbers when growing 4 or more different strains in 4 boxes.

I still have lots of first-generation self-pollinated seeds from her (the CI), though. With things like that, I try to never take any planting of self-pollinated seeds beyond that first gen, as otherwise the genetic drift can accelerate and become much faster, resulting in far less stable plants.

Knew folks in the bush who, years ago, would plant self-pollinated seed crops, year after year, and their plants destabilized in short order.

Feykns

Myth? Did someone say myth? I love myths!

Is Slownickel the reason why every grow I look at the past 10 years has thick leathery ribbed blue-gray leaves with white midribs purple petioles & roasted margins? Isn't he the guy that bought up all the athletic field marker for next to nothing and sells it as specialized foliar spray that oxidizes the plants leaf flora and doesn't travel through the phloem whatsoever?

Douglass Curtis has the idea. Spoon feed soluble calcium aka athletic field marker plus citric or ethanoic. Otherwise you won't be able to get rid of the shit come finish. Personally I won't feed calcium without feeding everything that calcium antagonizes, which is plenty.

You will go broke at finish trying to cram enough potassium sulfate into the plant after turning your soil into limestone. "Oh no the water runs out the sides of me fabric bag, and what's this white crust all over me fabric bag". Too late for phosphorus by the time you've heard more calcium is good for buds, especially indoors under the gavita led standard. Sap tests show that not even the sulfur is being taken up in these hypercalcemic soils everyone with a nute startup is pushing on weed nute victims.

The congenital epigenetic impact the bro fertilizer community has had on the cannabis gene pool is devastating, from the fact breeders cull plants that refuse to adapt to hypercalcemic nutrient regimens, choosing your Blue Chalk Dreamsicles over Sour Blueberry Skunkbutts. To the shift in lipid profiles caused by driving nitrogen with calcium but not driving calcium with boron, resulting in all the dough batter stale muffin expressions in plants that typically smelled like carboxylic acids and low carbon thiols for thousands of years. To the fact that sweet and sour associations no longer correlate with P:K input when sugar/acid ratios were commonly steered to match cultivar.

Doesn't appear to be toxic, Bruce? Then why the hell is Cannabis unable to take up potassium when Ca is 8% in leaf tissue? And where is that calcium in leaf tissue? What percentage is exogenous, being exuded into trichome structure, what percentage is in sap?

Anyone thinking about selling chalk or drywall as fertilizer: Turn off the youtubes, stop stalking grow forums for feedback on how to scam nute victims, and read a book once in a while. Be a good actor not someone who talks circles around potheads and cancer patients. Live in reality, not in dogma that's been proven untrue long ago. Societies problem, leaders staying one lesson ahead of followers, a society like this doesn't last long when the lessons are not based in observable reality. Example: Women don't have testicles, I don't care how friendly and well studied the messenger is. You're destroying society.

View attachment 18831942

Unmetabolized excess calcium is the biggest detriment I've found to Cannabis quality. Especially when it binds with carbonate and builds trichome walls. I bet everyone pushing excess calcium nutes as a trend also sells silica sprays and hippy pesticides, you're gonna need em growing in soil that turns white when it dries out. Enjoy the pretty white roots with no fine hairs and no colonization. They grow like that trying to get away from the lime deposit they've been forced into.

Eventually someone will figure out how to turn Gypsum into calcium acetate, so you can keep the sulfur. Not sure who's overdosing on sulfur. Guys drinking sesame oil and shitting in their soil beds I recon.

Or better yet, the guys who bought up all the basic slag will eventually figure out how to turn it into a bottled product. But then they can't sell you TM7.. Hmm... There's always a downside to progression, isn't there.

Too long didn't read: Why are people pushing excess calcium when all it does is lock out shit and ruin the expression of the plant? Because some guy from the ag sector talked about tomatoes on a podcast, then some stoner started his own podcast and repeated it about Cannabis. TalkingTomatoes, that might be the name of my new podcast..

you sayin it yourself... an EXCESS isn't desired... if it exceeds it was to much. it is about balancing the ratios (especially the micros) . and getting to that point takes soil tests, leaf tissue analysis, many many cycles which take many many years.

Slow is the reason why we went THICC... the slayer of the woo and high end cardboard terps.

imagine how many potencially awesome phonotypes got killed unselected because of wrong nute ratios
reading books is one thing... understanding them another...
and if the Author was same smart you're litterally fu....! Science is unfortunately often nothing more then just an oppinion

Last edited:

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
this is what Gypsum magic looks like. 4 acres of legal hoops fed Slow's nutes using his TEK. half of the current NY rec market has been white labled units from this farm.

show me better NY outs please.
DSC_0111 copy.JPG

DSC_0775 copy 2.JPG

DSC_3670 copy.JPG

DSC_3792 copy.JPG

Do you even Calcium finish Bro???

DSC_2657 copy 3.JPG

DSC_0201 copy.JPG

DSC_0329 copy 2.JPG

DSC_0830 copy.JPG

TrainingHay

Still playing this "weed needs more sulfur" game? And the "pay twice as much for calcium" game?

A warehouses full of taco leafed weed, bragging about their calcium. When your calcium levels are sufficient, you leaves will not roll up.

And no respirators. Can't be that dank! Something tells me this isn't the new York diesel of the hydroponic era. Something tells me Gypsum isn't a great calcium source, when the people promoting it have taquito leaves.

Let's ask the customers about the quality. OK I'm back. Survey says NY weed is considered a joke right now. And it all comes from your slownickel farm. Blame Gypsum? Blame the state regs? I'm gonna blame the Gypsum!

If you look at the chemistry, sulfuric acid is what turns carboxylic acids (weed smells) into esters (fruit smells). I'm gonna go on a limb and say that's why alot of peoples weed sucks, they replaced armpit and cheese chemicals with fruit esters in the soil via excess S.

Old Uncle Ben

mexweed

Veteran
agricultural practices misapplied to ornamental landscapes.

Since when is cannabis an ornamental?

With the exception of arid and coastal regions

Literally all of California, Oregon, Washington, Maine, and NY are coastal too, Colorado and Nevada are arid

So this actually has absolutely nothing to do with the vast majority of outdoor cannabis in the United States