What's new

The Mystery of the Males

spice

So, I have this strain called 'Santa Maria', it was gifted to me several years back in seed form by a guy in Amsterdam. I got several strains from him, a one time thing, not to be repeated....I am familiar with the legend of Santa Maria via the internet, but I do t know if this is it....but every other strain I got from him was extremely good and legit....now, I only got 2 seeds....these I grew out and as luck would have it, I got a Male and a Female....used the Male to make a crap ton of seeds with his sis.....it seems that this strain only wants to make males. I've run it 4 times and gotten all males every time...admittedly, these weren't large numbers, but out of 5 or 6 of any other strain I usually will get half and half or a little better female to Male ratio....the original female was a medium sized plant, nothing like the infamous Planck I've read about, but the Male was small, like a ruderalis.....anybody got any theories on wtf is going on here?

None of my other strains do this, I have haze hybrids and indica-sativa crosses of all kinds....

Edit: I guess what I'm asking is does anyone know of examples of strains that make a high percentage of males...If I was less experienced I'd be looking at my environment I guess.....and...would this possible ruderalis genetic component be implicated?

Last edited:

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I have seen that happen with old seed that has been stored for a long time. In theory, the male embryos outlived the female embryos because of food storage was used up faster for the female embryos. If there was a lot of seed that didn't crack and was dead, then that was probably the female embryos dried up and didn't make the long storage.

You have a breeder male that is true and strong and could be used in breeding projects. When you use a true male pollen on a feminized plant you can stabilizer her back into a male/female ratio. I would keep some of the pollen if it were me. 😎

Good-quality male specimens are essential for any cannabis breeding program. In providing pollen to females, the males are also contributing half of the DNA that will make up the subsequent offspring. Thus, selecting males which display advantageous traits can produce offspring that will retain those traits. Google

spice

Thanks for your reply. I am aware of those basic realities, but if you read carefully what I wrote, I had only gotten two seeds, one of those was a male and one of those was a female. This was in 2010. I stored those in the freezer for 8 years until 2018 in the spring when I thawed those and sprouted them one was a male one was a female I made a bunch of seeds from that. Each year since then I have sprouted from four to six of those seeds and got males every single time. My environment is pretty good, I strive to replicate a semi tropical environment with good light wind air movement Etc no other strain that I have does this. I am stumped and haven't been able to find much information. Do appreciate any input thanks again.

goingrey

So all seeds you tried to germinate did and were all male? Because if about half of them didn't germinate or Creeperpark's theory could explain it.

And grew about 25 plants? Odds of that happening with a 50/50 male/female ratio are next to none..

exoticrobotic

How long are you growing them for before you id them as male?

Occasionally a plant will throw a male preflower or two at the stem, only to turn out to be female a couple of weeks later as female flowers start to show at the top.

Reactions: X15

X15

Did the male and female you used show any signs of hermaphroditism? Did you keep any of the males they have made?

spice

So all seeds you tried to germinate did and were all male? Because if about half of them didn't germinate or Creeperpark's theory could explain it.

And grew about 25 plants? Odds of that happening with a 50/50 male/female ratio are next to none..
Yes all were Male. The seeds all germinated. I know it's crazy as hell.

spice

How long are you growing them for before you id them as male?

Occasionally a plant will throw a male preflower or two at the stem, only to turn out to be female a couple of weeks later as female flowers start to show at the top.
They were grown until I was sure. About 7 to 8 weeks. 100 per cent Male, not hermies.

spice

Did the male and female you used show any signs of hermaphroditism? Did you keep any of the males they have made?
No, and no.

But I have seeds, LOL...

I did make a cross with a killer Cannacopia Chocolate female, haven't grown them yet.

I guess that's in the cards at some point.

• Love
Reactions: ost

Mitsuharu

White Window
Veteran
Each year since then I have sprouted from four to six of those seeds and got males every single time.
How many years are you doing this now? 😅 Next time you do 20 seeds at once and make a grow report here! Let's do this together. ✌️

I just made a new strain by myself and with the first 5 seeds i got 4 males.

spice

So, upon thinking about it, I realized that:

Of the original 2 seeds (I was told they were Santa Maria F6 x Santa Maria F7) that I grew out and bred to each other, they were the only ones I did outside, in the springtime at subtropical latitude, 30 degrees.

The female was medium sized, hybrid looking, fast flowering, no unusual traits.
The male, however, was runty and looked very much like a ruderalis-type plant. He was about a foot tall when he started making male flowers.

I can only assume that this wasnt the famed 'planck', but perhaps a ruderalis hybrid to accelerate the flowering time.
The smoke off the seeded female was mild, sativa high, pretty nice, not a lot of flavor.

Maybe these genetics just dont like my light spectrum, I dunno.

Latest posts

Latest posts