What's new

The mountain condo--4X4 Tent 600 watt bare bulb

snaggy-

Hey there ICMAG, long time no posting!

I am back in the growing game, and I could not be more relieved because I finally have a small but decent setup that I can experiment with a bit. Last year I was just a freshman in college dorms so I didn't have the capability. Now I moved up to the mountains and am taking CC courses.

The setup is a 4'x4' grow tent (cheap off ebay, not necessarily satisfied with the quality but it works). I have a 600 watt bare bulb HPS hanging down. There is a 400 something CFM 6" fan exhausting the air out the top with a lot of negative pressure that is keeping the temps very cool. I also do live at 8000 feet in elevation where the temps can dip into the negatives at night so I am more worried about keeping things warm enough than cool enough because winter is approaching fast! I mean it already snowed two feet at the beginning of october. I love to snowboard though so the weather is awesome.

I have my med card in california, but my plant count is definitely not within range. 6 plants is too limited of a restriction.

Anyways, my ultimate plan for this flowering tent is to have a perpetual harvest every month. I am going to do 12 plants flowering at a time, but staggered with 6 in every month. If I can pull three ounces per plant I can harvest over a pound every month and make a lot of oil! I love dabbing...but you guys will learn that soon enough when I post up pics of the qwiso I am going to make.

For strains I have a couple of options. At the moment I have White Widow X Northern lights (Chrystal) from Nirvana, Thai Super skunk (G13 freebies), trainwreck, Purple Kush (At least I believe, messed up on remembering what clones where what), and Jupiter OG (also might be different). I took clones at another growers house and just flowered them out immediately when I set up my tent to get a head stash going...so they are small girls.

In the veg room I have clones of all the strains said above, and I was also gifted a mystery clone from my grower friend in Tahoe. He believes it is Pure Kush, but it could be 3 other strains too so I am just going to veg it up and flower it out to see what it looks like. He also gave me a clone of his sour diesel too. The last strain I have is King's Kush from GHS, but I am not a fan of Green House...just growing it because it came out well when I grew it for my first successful harvest---also the only harvest under my belt.

I have clones of every single strain, and a lot of them are nice and rooted. My dilemma is figuring out which strains to use. I am thinking 5 sour diesel and 5 WWxNL as the main producers, and then maybe an assortment of the others for my own personal variety stash.

My first grow was very sloppy, and I got a decent harvest considering I was just a high school kid getting his jollies from feeling like a rebel child growing pot at my friends house. I had no working PH meter, just a 600 watter and plants in soil.

Now I have my 600 watt, a PH and TDS meter (cheap ebay knockoffs...hopefully they are working correctly). I just got a chance to hit up a hydro store in Tahoe (none where I am), and so I picked up some bricks of Coco, and maxibloom. I transplanted the plants that just started flowering into coco, and damn it is such a relief getting away from soil--such a terrible medium. As far as I can tell the plants are loving it.

For watering I bought a patio and deck kit off planethydro so I will be running blumats from an external rez. My nutrient mix is super simple: 7 grams of maxibloom, a gram of epsom salts every now and then, 5 ml/g of botanicare silica blast, and maybe a top feed of molasses (using some Sweet by botanicare as a free sample atm though). I just got the TDS meter in the mail so I haven't checked the PPM's, but I can't imagine it's over the top. I hate how maxibloom is a powder though...wish I would have gotten Ionic because I know Heath uses that stuff with a LOT of success. I take the maxibloom, weigh it out, and then bring it to a boil on the stove to dissolve it--although there is still some powder in there no matter what. Anybody know if boiling is the wring way to do it? I tried the hot water shaking method but damn it's tiring!

I try to keep the PH around 5.8-6.0 for the coco.

Right now I just have the plants setup in a circle around the hps, but once I have an evenly vegged full crop of plants I want to rearrange the setup to maximize it. I think I will be training the plants into white metal screens that were for cheap storage cubbies. Then I want to have them setup with one row on the floor and one row elevated to maximize space in the tent. I'm not sure how to go about doing this with the supplies I have though, and I am frugal when it comes to money so I pinch every penny I have and get crafty.

I do have another 600 watt light, and if I bought a socket for it (only have a cooltube with the socket fixed to it, I could have it running. Only thing is I don't want to raise the electricity bill because it already went up quite a bit, and my buddies dad is the landlord that tells us how much the bills are each month. I could build shelves and have two stories to the tent rather than just a stadium type setup though. Hmm...not sure what to do. I just know I want to make sure it is vertical because vertical makes more sense, bottom line.

Anyways, I'll move on to pictures soon. I'm just glad I am getting this thread started finally so I can share what I know and get some help from others!

Alrighty! Now to make it current.

In flower are:

Purple Kush (1)--One gallon container, flower started Sept 18 (6 weeks in, but already has some amber trichs weirdly enough, and is purpling) 2 weeks till harvest

Jupiter OG (1)--One gallon container, Sept 18 (getting some cloudy trichs, also some purpling) 3 weeks till harvest

Trainwreck (2)--One gallon container, Sept 18 (also some cloudy, leaves yellowing) Gonna give them 2 weeks till harvest

Thai Super Skunk (3)--Three gallon, Sept 1 (roughly, but these bitches take forever to flower...guesstimated 8 weeks in flower). I started two straight from seed and the other I gave a week or so of veg. The ones that were sprouts have grown to over 2 feet tall, and the vegged one is much smaller, but has much bigger buds so far...almost convinced it's not Thai, but I know they were all seeds from the same freebie bag.

WWxNL (2)--Three gallon, started Oct 11 at 8" tall and 10" tall. These bitches were used for clones, and I threw them in to see how big they get and what they will yield at this size so I can gauge how big the rest need to get.

In veg I have:

Sour Diesel (1)--took clones off of it so it is smaller again...
King's Kush (1)--took clones too, and letting veg out more.
Purple Kush (3)--just rooted and barely starting to grow
Jupiter OG (3)--Also just rooted
Trainwreck (2)--^same
WWxNL (3)--^again

Clones that are waiting to root are the Sour diesel (5), then WWxNL (4), and King's Kush (3). My clones take a long ass time to root (roughly 15-20 days), but sure enough they have rooted pretty much 100%. I'm guessing it has to do with the cold weather making them take a while...I need to get a heat mat for 'em.

The veg room consists of two blue fluorescent lights, and one red spectrum giant fluorescent. Not ideal, but it works.

At one point I dealt with quite a few spider mites, but spraying them with neem and soap in water took them out pretty damn well...only spotted a few, and they got follow-up sprayed.

Okay, time for pictures. If anybody has questions let me know! Don't be shy around these parts, I need all the help I can get.

The veg room changing:
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

(^^Clockwise from the back: Sour Diesel, King's Kush, WWxNL, WWxNL)
attachment.php

Now for the flower room:

attachment.php

From the little guy on the bottom left going around clockwise:Thai Super Skunk, Train Wreck, Jupiter OG, Purple Kush, Train Wreck, TSS, TSS, WWxNL, WWxNL

The Thais aren't doing well in this pic, but they are recovering albeit slowly from transplant being root bound in such a small container (didn't realize the stretch from seed), and a PH issue.

Hooked the blumats up and things are so much easier...plus I can water anytime, rather than waiting for the lights to come on.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1006.jpg
    IMG_1006.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1026.jpg
    IMG_1026.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1014.jpg
    IMG_1014.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1010.jpg
    IMG_1010.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1009.jpg
    IMG_1009.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1007.jpg
    IMG_1007.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 11

snaggy-

Haha ya, I went a little overboard and tried to detail as much as I could.

I completely expect the lack of posts from being "tl;dr"

Couple small updates:

More clones rooted, and I started training the thai super skunks into screens. The WWxNL is just starting to stretch. I harvested the small PK because it wasn't doing well and was ready enough. Dried the buds and got maybe 10 grams so I just decided to make some oil...came out very well too! Just waiting for my eclipse to come in the mail so I can start taking some proper oil hits.

Looks like you got it all figured out... Let me know how you like the "cheap" eBay meters because I definitely need a good pH/ec/TDS meter. Happy growing!

snaggy-

^^So far the PH meter seems to be working well, the EC meter is taking a while to ship because I put the wrong address....durp.

Okay, small update:

All the small plants have been harvested. The yields were meager so I have been making oil out of them. I did save the best nugs from the Jupiter OG and Trainwreck. The rest of the grow is chugging away with a couple plants having some issues. Clones have been rooting away and now are mostly vegging.

Purple Kush putty
attachment.php

Thai Super Skunk oil
attachment.php

Jupiter OG
attachment.php

attachment.php

And the two plants that aren't doing so well...posted in the infirmary also.

King's Kush
attachment.php

Mystery clone
attachment.php

Temps range from 75-55 degrees
PH is 5.7-6.0
Maxibloom with silica blast for nutes
Humidity is about 30%

Anybody have some clues? The symptoms are pinkish brittle leaf edges, wilting, greyish brown spots, and yellowing.

I have other plants vegging not having similar problems that are growing just fine.

Attachments

• IMG_1049.jpg
    IMG_1049.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1050.jpg
    IMG_1050.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1048.jpg
    IMG_1048.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1041.jpg
    IMG_1041.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1040.jpg
    IMG_1040.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1039.jpg
    IMG_1039.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 10
D

dramamine

With those bare CFL's, I like to cut a square of reflectix, punch a hole in the center and screw the bulb through to make an easy reflector....it catches a lot of light. Looks good...maybe those couple of problems are overfeeding?

AOD2012

I have the key, now i need to find the lock..
Veteran
Hey bro, I would definitely see if you can get like a little space heater or something to keep those temps up. Thanks to bobble constantly stressing to keep day and night temps as close to each other as possible, I finally started doing it. I just switched over to bare bulb myself, 3 600s in a stadium, and with winter and the cold temps finally getting here, it was actually too cold! My dark temps were dropping to like 62-60, and the plants kept lookin wilty everytime the lights came on, and my coco was pretty cold. Just got a little stanley blower/heater combo thing in there last night, so now my night temps should stay within the 75-80 range, just like day. Little things make all the difference homey!

But yea dude, that set up is sweet, and you definitely have a green thumb, great to see fellow college students doing the garden thang. Keep it green brother.

aod

snaggy-

Wooh! Haha didn't see all these replies, thanks for all the comments guys!

that purple kush should rock!....good luck brah!

Oh man, I've just been smoking the oil I've made out of the PK nd it knocks me on my ass!

I'm liking this already....

Cheers my friend

picture.php

Thanks man! Beautiful oil you have there, BHO? I've just done ISO washes, but I want to get over to making BHO to get my product a bit cleaner....polarity of solvents and what not.

If you're gonna break the rules, make sure you go balls out and do it up right... ;)

Ahaha love the thinking! For now I'm just trying to keep it quiet. Don't want that dreaded knock on the door.

With those bare CFL's, I like to cut a square of reflectix, punch a hole in the center and screw the bulb through to make an easy reflector....it catches a lot of light. Looks good...maybe those couple of problems are overfeeding?

I just put the CFL's up as a quick veg solution, but now they seem more permanent because I'm sure not firing the other 600 I have just to veg. Thanks for the tip!

Hey bro, I would definitely see if you can get like a little space heater or something to keep those temps up. Thanks to bobble constantly stressing to keep day and night temps as close to each other as possible, I finally started doing it. I just switched over to bare bulb myself, 3 600s in a stadium, and with winter and the cold temps finally getting here, it was actually too cold! My dark temps were dropping to like 62-60, and the plants kept lookin wilty everytime the lights came on, and my coco was pretty cold. Just got a little stanley blower/heater combo thing in there last night, so now my night temps should stay within the 75-80 range, just like day. Little things make all the difference homey!

But yea dude, that set up is sweet, and you definitely have a green thumb, great to see fellow college students doing the garden thang. Keep it green brother.

aod

I'm just too curious to not grow now that I have some freedom! Good looking out on the temps, they have been getting too cold at night (52 is the lowest I have seen recorded on my temp gauge). I haven't seen too many ill effects...plants look nice and perky despite the cold. There probably is some slower growth though, and they do change color faster.

The temp has always been in the back of my mind, and I really do need to do something about it. Just one of those things on my list that needs to be taken care of....space heater would be perfect! I am so damn broke right now though. I'll be investing a bit more once I get a decent paycheck...starting work soon. The weather up here hasn't given us much snow and my job is dependent on the mountain having enough snow to fully open. Ma nature's on it though!

Tasty looking smoke, yum! GL with the grow.

Thanks bud, hoping I have more to show around here soon!

jupiter is pretttttttty

I was incredibly surprised by how well it came out. The plant went through a lot of stress on its way to being chopped...I mean I did stick the clone in a box piled under all my shit when I drove up here to move in. If It survived that, hell it had to come out decently well!

Here is a pic of the Jupiter dried, not focused well....macro on iphone is not friendly.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1017.jpg
    IMG_1017.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 8

snaggy-

Okay, time for an update

I've got the two WWxNL going strong, a little more than halfway done. Some of the leaves are yellowing though, so I'm watching it carefully.

attachment.php

I put a sour diesel and a King's Kush in flower too.

The Thai Super Skunks are chuggin on, barely putting on weight. Pretty damn sure I've got fungus gnats, so I put a mosquito dunk in the reservoir, and I crumbled some up under the drippers. Their leaves are yellowing badly, and dying off. Not too stoked.

attachment.php

And the veg closet is pretty full, got rid of deficiencies in a couple of them, but they came back and now most plants are starting to show bad signs. So I flushed them with PH'd water, and I'm hoping that does the trick because it did last time.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1013.jpg
    IMG_1013.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1015.jpg
    IMG_1015.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1016.jpg
    IMG_1016.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 11

snaggy-

Harvested the Thai's last night (at 12 weeks, wanted to let them go 16) because the fungus gnats were just too much for them to last any longer. Checked the trich's though, and there were definitely some cloudy heads, so I am not feeling too much remorse for cutting them early. MY guesstimate dry weight is 2 ounces or so...but the buds are leafy and airy so I will be making them all into BHO, and I'm taking the trim and making a bunch of cannabutter!

The gnats are also stressing out one of the WWxNL terribly. All the leaves are turning pale yellow even though the structure looks excellent....leaves are all pointing up and out without any other deficiencies than the yellowing.

Found about 5 'nanners on the WWxNL that is having problems. I'm guessing it is a combo of the gnats and the cold temps at night.

Anybody able to chime in with some thoughts on the oddly healthy yellowing leaves and the hermie dicks?

elderwon

Your set up is a lot like mine. I get 12 plants in my 4X4 tent under 600w. I rotate six into bloom every four weeks, and harvest six every four weeks.
You can cure your fungus gnat problem by switching to coco. Haven't seen a single gnat since I switched.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
I hate how maxibloom is a powder though

Just mix it up a few hours before hand. Water doesn't have to be hot... just shake it up and let it sit.... or stir it in the big res and let a mag-drive pump mix it for a while.

Always a clear jug when I get back a couple hours later. :D Hope that helps.

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

p.s. Check out Gr3atfulH3ad's thread on H3ad does Coco.... you'll love it :D

snaggy-

Finally a damn update!

Finally a damn update!

I have failed to update this regularly, but I must admit it is because I was having a lot of trouble in the grow room.

Made some important changes that have brought my grow back up to speed and on target.

What I did:

Bought calmag
Bought sevin powder to get rid of the fungus gnats
Bought a heater w/thermostat

After realizing I had too many plants (roommates getting uncomfortable), I threw half of them into flower after I harvested the last round. None of them were the size I wanted them to be at, but I needed a new round and they were all I had. Going into that round of flowering is when my troubles escalated...leaves were yellowing all too early, deficiencies were starting to show up, and things were going poorly in general.

I realized I needed to make some critical changes, and I finally got enough money to afford the few items I needed--worked my ass off over the holidays doing overtime, which contributed a lot to the decline of my garden because managing both was difficult.

So beyond the couple weeks of neglect I have finally managed to get things healthy once again. The heater I have now is set to turn on when temps drop below 71 degrees, and my thermometer has verified that temps have not gone below 70 at all. I sprinkled sevin powder on top of the coco to help get rid of the fungus gnats, and I finally got the calmag my plants have needed--they are looking much healthier as a result!

I have 8 plants total in the flower room right now

3 WWxNL
1 Sour Diesel
1 Trainwreck
2 Jupiter
1 PK

In the veg closet I have 14 plants mostly made up of SD, WWxNL, and Jupiter. These guys will be my last round in growing because the roommates are over having plants in the house and by the time these are done the year will pretty much be over anyways and I'll be moving back home.

I am going to let the 14 in veg grow to be pretty large though so that I can get at least 2 ounces off of each. What I have grown so far has yielded meagerly and I need one good harvest at least! I know I have it in me dammit!

The remaining 14 when the other 10 were separated and put into flower:
attachment.php

What the flower tent looks like right now:
attachment.php

And what the veg tent looks like right now:
attachment.php

I said originally there were 10 flowering, and you can see I harvested the one King's Kush I had in there, which I only got 1/4 ounce off of because it had so many issues it never packed on weight. The other harvested plant was a small PK that dried out so much it died, which was during my phase of carelessness.

The veg room's plants are getting much bigger, and I need to hydrate some more coco and transplants them into bigger pots. Other than that there isn't much left to do except feed 'em regularly, and wait of course.

Going to figure out how old each plant is so I can get things more exact.

Attachments

• IMG_1026.jpg
    IMG_1026.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1047.jpg
    IMG_1047.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1048.jpg
    IMG_1048.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 9
dude make sure after you mix up your nutes to wait about an hour to check that the ph is stable. Also don't let the coco dry out, add a splash minimum every day if under hps/mh bulbs..

snaggy-

^^Definitely man, took your advice by splashing some water on the tops because it stays dry for about an inch or two and then the soil gets moist. The blumats have actually been doing pretty well despite being a little finicky.

I did check the PH after a while, and I have found that I can get the PH where I want without having to check back. I haven't seen any PH issues either from the plants.

I'll get another round of pictures up soon with some better close shots. The vegging plants look AWESOME right now. Every leaf on every plant shoots straight out, and they have been growing steadily. Most are about a foot and a half tall with the Sour Diesels about 2-2.5 feet. No sign of the past deficiencies I was getting so the Maxibloom with calmag and silica is doing the trick.

As of now I do 7 grams maxi per gallon, 1tsp calmag, and 1/2 tsp silica blast. I went full strength feed, half strength feed, and now plain water. I'll be doing full strength and then switch to plain water in a cycle from now on because it seems as though I have things somewhat stable and dialed in. The reservoir that I fill to about 4 gallons lasts about 3-4 days.

Finally figured out how old the plants all were. Today is day 50 for them. I went ahead and cut down the trainwreck because it also was too far gone before I got to fixing the feeding regimen and getting rid of the bugs.

SO I have 3 White Widow X NL, 1 PK, and 1 Jupiter OG.

The PK and Jupiter really aren't going to be worth shit, so I plan on making some really nice BHO from them. The WWxNL's are all looking great though, and are starting to fatten up. The plants aren't all that big, but they have nice dense flowers with decent colas. Realistically thinking I will get 2-2.5 ounces between the three of them...oh well, that will pay for my plane flights to visit schools I am looking at transferring to.

REALLY excited about putting the vegging plants in flower though and actually getting more than just 1-2 ounces off small plants. Going to harvest all the flowering plants on Feb 24th so that will make it 9 weeks exactly. I was hoping to take it to 10 weeks, but I need to clear out the flower room, and there will be some roommates parent's in town so the fresh round of plants will keep the smell a lot less than it is now. I will probably keep the Jupiter and PK in for the extra week though because they are so small and I really want to make some knockout oil from them.

Weighed the sour diesel out. With two fat colas and some extra branches the plant came out to just over an ounce. Just jarred tonight...after two weeks of curing I am going to start getting rid of it because I need to recoup funds.

I figure I have spent around $2500 over the last 3-4 years on grow equipment and supplies. I've made back about $1100 so far total from what I have going this year, and from my first grow. By the end of this last round vegging now I'm hoping I will be in the positive at least! Plus I haven't had to spend money to feed my habit at all, which is a large saving overall too.

2 out 3 of the colleges I am applying to for next year are in med states so I might be able to keep this going, but I am going to have to shutdown here to move back home for summer.

Latest posts

Latest posts