What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Lounge : Growers Round Table Discussion Thread

djonkoman

Veteran
Is this part of a full time BS program or advanced degree?

I don't know exactly what kind of certificate bcgospel is doing it for, but for me this same module was a part of a course called 'introduction quantitative agro ecology', a first year course as part of the bachelor plant sciences.

this is basically an intro course to computer modeling. the gap between model and reality was also part of the lectures. in later years there are some follow-up courses, for example a course 'Systems Analysis, Simulation and Systems Management', which I thought was pretty though, that included for example modelling the foraging behaviour of predators(used as biological control), or modeling the spread of a pest trough a field(which used some vague mathematical stuff like 'dispersal kernels', which I still don't really understand).

and another later year course which also kind of went into this direction, but less complex modeling, was a course called crop ecology, which dealt more with greenhouse management(simulating how much you have to for example open the windows on a certain day to keep temp+co2 optimal inside, etc), and it including doing calculations with temperature sum/degreedays(if you're not familiar with it, degreedays is a unit used for development time, so you can calculate how long it takes for a certain crop to develop to the point of harvest and stuff around that, but since development speed is dependent on temperature, the unit 'degreedays' is used)

personally modeling isn't really my thing either(or math in general), but I can see the uses for it. I just rather have someone else does it instead of me.
it's not a direction I want to continue in. I'm usually not the best student in the area of attendance(which caused most of my failed courses, since there are a lot of mandatory lab practicals), but I usually don't struggle much with the material itself. but that systems analysis/management/etc course was one of the few courses where I did struggle, first time I followed it I quit 2 weeks in because the math was just way too complicated(2nd time I managed to pass).

my study also has a lot of courses that are more fun though. including plenty of experiments where we use actual plants(or insects) instead of computersimulations. although, I do know remember one non-simulation hellish practical, we had to test preference of a parasitoid wasp for eggs of 2 butterflyspecies.
so first you had to arrange these eggs in a grid pattern. 16 eggs, 2 mm apart, on top of a piece of paper. every time you touched the paper, exhaled onto it, etc, all eggs where out of order. then we had to select female wasps, we had to look at the antenae under a microscope. but these damn bugs kept runnning around their testtube, running faster up and down than I could focus the microscope. then we had to repeat it 10 times, so every time you had to replace the egg that the wasp laid an egg in, and the eggs scattering everywhere began all over again. eventually after 5 times we were fed up, and we pooled our data together with another group that had 5 observations too.

Last edited:

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
Veteran
Excellent conversation starter BSG... Knowledge is numero uno.

Still in my early 30's I am looking to further my education on this subject... A degree in marketing and web design doesn't help much in this industry.

Anyone care to elaborate on what education path they would choose if they had the ability to do so again? Specialized area of interest, general horti, no degree and just weasel in?... Where we are heading in the future I see a degree being beneficial unless your "old as fuck" and already know your shit.

What helped with your choice BSG?

I'm right there with you. I'll be 31 in February but I make less than I did when I was 27. I had a great job with great people until the department of revenue stepped in and took down our warehouse. I'm not sure if it would have been worse if it were illegal. We put a million dollars wholesale through a wood-chipper and I lost my job. One particular agent really wanted to take me down personally, even though I hadn't done anything/wasn't responsible for the events.

I've bounced back but the money was never right again. I help middle manage a few acres for a different dispensary now. It's not 25+ but 12 years experience should count for something. I've worked on/consulted to ~60 grows in the state and I can't get above hourly labor somehow these days.

It's the resume. In the organized game, the portfolio alone doesn't 'wow' anymore. My only education is an associates in Western Music History. What the fuck was I thinking? Good job, 19 year old me. That's only useful if you want to go back and teach Western Music History.

I want to be able to go out to a field, of any crop, and not be a stranger. I've spent the last few years boning up on my chemistry and biology because I now know what I want to be doing and I take education more seriously than I ever have. Be it soil, be it tissue, be it breeding- I'm just tired of being a schmuck in the room.

And if this thread has a schmuck, it's definitely me.

Led- my friend, you misunderstand me. The course is not about working in the ideal scenario. The portion of the course I'm currently in is about setting that upper limit. And I see where I worded it incorrectly previously. This first part is finding where the upper limit is based on where you are and what you have- what's the best you can do for a certain crop, in a certain place, at a certain temperature. If you have that upper limit and you compare it to your final, actual numbers- Then you know how much further you can push the crop. The next weeks are limiting factors- what keeps us from hitting those upper limits. I don't think anyone expects that we get it perfect every time but we have to have a methodology for closing our gaps. That's the course: Don't leave anything on the table if you can avoid it.

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
Veteran
I don't know exactly what kind of certificate bcgospel is doing it for, but for me this same module was a part of a course called 'introduction quantitative agro ecology', a first year course as part of the bachelor plant sciences.

this is basically an intro course to computer modeling. the gap between model and reality was also part of the lectures. in later years there are some follow-up courses, for example a course 'Systems Analysis, Simulation and Systems Management', which I thought was pretty though, that included for example modelling the foraging behaviour of predators(used as biological control), or modeling the spread of a pest trough a field(which used some vague mathematical stuff like 'dispersal kernels', which I still don't really understand).

This^

Crop production/quantitative agro ecology + Systems analysis + Food security are the certificates I'm chasing. $50/certificate is not too shabby for the knowledge I'm getting and who I'm getting it from.

led05

Chasing The Present
I'm right there with you. I'll be 31 in February but I make less than I did when I was 27. I had a great job with great people until the department of revenue stepped in and took down our warehouse. I'm not sure if it would have been worse if it were illegal. We put a million dollars wholesale through a wood-chipper and I lost my job. One particular agent really wanted to take me down personally, even though I hadn't done anything/wasn't responsible for the events.

I've bounced back but the money was never right again. I help middle manage a few acres for a different dispensary now. It's not 25+ but 12 years experience should count for something. I've worked on/consulted to ~60 grows in the state and I can't get above hourly labor somehow these days.

It's the resume. In the organized game, the portfolio alone doesn't 'wow' anymore. My only education is an associates in Western Music History. What the fuck was I thinking? Good job, 19 year old me. That's only useful if you want to go back and teach Western Music History.

I want to be able to go out to a field, of any crop, and not be a stranger. I've spent the last few years boning up on my chemistry and biology because I now know what I want to be doing and I take education more seriously than I ever have. Be it soil, be it tissue, be it breeding- I'm just tired of being a schmuck in the room.

And if this thread has a schmuck, it's definitely me.

Led- my friend, you misunderstand me. The course is not about working in the ideal scenario. The portion of the course I'm currently in is about setting that upper limit. And I see where I worded it incorrectly previously. This first part is finding where the upper limit is based on where you are and what you have- what's the best you can do for a certain crop, in a certain place, at a certain temperature. If you have that upper limit and you compare it to your final, actual numbers- Then you know how much further you can push the crop. The next weeks are limiting factors- what keeps us from hitting those upper limits. I don't think anyone expects that we get it perfect every time but we have to have a methodology for closing our gaps. That's the course: Don't leave anything on the table if you can avoid it.

Last edited:

djonkoman

Veteran
so speaking about jobs in the weedsector there in america, and certificates, what's your view on education and job prospects? what's the industry look like, average education, how much of the current knowledge aplied on legal crops are they actually using?

speaking about a schmuck of the thread, I could be it just as well. I have the benefit of having followed some courses, but experience wise I'm nowhere near people here. I just have a few plants for personal use, and I like connecting the things I hear in class with cannabis(I do think my study helps a lot in reading forums like this, since it helps me filter the broscience stonerbullshit from the actual knowledge).

I choose the bachelor plant sciences because I simply love plants(not just weed), and I think plants are fascinating, how they're adapted to deal with so many challenges without the ability to walk away. like that study western music history, I never really thought about job prospects.
but lately I've been confronted with the fact I have to think about my life after uni. I'll be doing my thesis and finishing my bachelor this year. not at all prepared yet to choose a job and enter the working world, so I'll probably be doing a master so I have a few more years to think about that.

but I'm starting to realize I'm really interested in breeding, and I would love to work with weed, but in a legal sector. not willing to deal with criminals and possible violence, in that case I'll rather go into tomatoes or some other legal crop. but I think weed has great oppurtunity: a developing legal market, transition from hidden indoor to outdoor in the open(so need for new cultivars), green revolution skipped while we already have a 2nd coming up with legal crops, and a great genetic diversity to start breeding from.

so my hope is the netherlands will follow america, and we'll have a similar legal market developing in ~10 years, and I can enter it at the start.

so I'm interested to hear about how the industry there in america is turning out. is it mostly black market growers converting, without education? is there any big flow of new graduates in programmes like mine(plant sciences/botany/horticulture) that now choose to work in weed now it's legal? or are they kept out the door by an industry still trusting more in the previous black market/personal relations?

led05

Chasing The Present
so speaking about jobs in the weedsector there in america, and certificates, what's your view on education and job prospects? what's the industry look like, average education, how much of the current knowledge aplied on legal crops are they actually using?

speaking about a schmuck of the thread, I could be it just as well. I have the benefit of having followed some courses, but experience wise I'm nowhere near people here. I just have a few plants for personal use, and I like connecting the things I hear in class with cannabis(I do think my study helps a lot in reading forums like this, since it helps me filter the broscience stonerbullshit from the actual knowledge).

I choose the bachelor plant sciences because I simply love plants(not just weed), and I think plants are fascinating, how they're adapted to deal with so many challenges without the ability to walk away. like that study western music history, I never really thought about job prospects.
but lately I've been confronted with the fact I have to think about my life after uni. I'll be doing my thesis and finishing my bachelor this year. not at all prepared yet to choose a job and enter the working world, so I'll probably be doing a master so I have a few more years to think about that.

but I'm starting to realize I'm really interested in breeding, and I would love to work with weed, but in a legal sector. not willing to deal with criminals and possible violence, in that case I'll rather go into tomatoes or some other legal crop. but I think weed has great oppurtunity: a developing legal market, transition from hidden indoor to outdoor in the open(so need for new cultivars), green revolution skipped while we already have a 2nd coming up with legal crops, and a great genetic diversity to start breeding from.

so my hope is the netherlands will follow america, and we'll have a similar legal market developing in ~10 years, and I can enter it at the start.

so I'm interested to hear about how the industry there in america is turning out. is it mostly black market growers converting, without education? is there any big flow of new graduates in programmes like mine(plant sciences/botany/horticulture) that now choose to work in weed now it's legal? or are they kept out the door by an industry still trusting more in the previous black market/personal relations?

Last edited:

djonkoman

Veteran
exactly what I thought too, Statistics 101 or 201 or maybe 301, whatever

sort of that direction yeah, but not exactly statistics, there are seperate specific statistics courses in my program.

the kind of modeling in this course was more building a computer model(first with a computer program that had more visual graphics, called 'visual grind', a matlab addon), later more similar to actual programming without the nice graphical chart. where you than can vary certain parameters to see the effect on model output and interpret that.

there were also a few parts that were less modeling, but I don't think that's part of bcgospels module. but the final part of the course I had was more fun, we went on an excursion to an organic farm, farmer told about some practices/solutions he used, and then we had to design our own crop rotation for an imaginary farm(and take into account different factors like not 2 root-crops following eachother, because soil structure, crops that replenish OM in the soil in between, cross-compatibility of nematodes between certain crops so there's not a buildup of pests in the soil, etc)

led05

Chasing The Present
sort of that direction yeah, but not exactly statistics, there are seperate specific statistics courses in my program.

the kind of modeling in this course was more building a computer model(first with a computer program that had more visual graphics, called 'visual grind', a matlab addon), later more similar to actual programming without the nice graphical chart. where you than can vary certain parameters to see the effect on model output and interpret that.

there were also a few parts that were less modeling, but I don't think that's part of bcgospels module. but the final part of the course I had was more fun, we went on an excursion to an organic farm, farmer told about some practices/solutions he used, and then we had to design our own crop rotation for an imaginary farm(and take into account different factors like not 2 root-crops following eachother, because soil structure, crops that replenish OM in the soil in between, cross-compatibility of nematodes between certain crops so there's not a buildup of pests in the soil, etc)

Last edited:

jidoka

Just holding a spot so I can give my view on it later

If you start spouting bro science or talking about bottles anywhere I help you ain’t getting past the interview.

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
Veteran

Hard to say. For job prospects, it seems like most states have caps and moratoriums on how many licenses or facilities can exist. Florida is only allowed to have 5 production facilities for the whole state. Colorado has many more but there is a cap imposed from time to time on how many new licenses they'll issue in a year, and many counties and cities vetoed having dispensaries altogether.

Education- A lot of my friends in the industry have some form of a college education but almost never is it for bio-chem or horticulture or botany. Met an arborist once, but he wasn't very effective. Your average employee has minimal experience, maybe 25% of them are the ones who were blowing it up underground. They never stick around.

Amen, I've worked backwards into this scenario. I grew, I thought I was hot shit, I started to filter and check myself, I was wrong, I got better, I identified the forums and the users who can back it up, and then I went back to education to confirm to myself why those ideas were right or why the principles are sound.

Fuck I wish someone would pay me to do massive plant breeding and work in that sector. That would be a dream come true. Any crop, any time, anywhere. Advancing a crop in anyway with a huge population sounds like heaven.

That's how I felt nearly ten years ago. I thought if I stuck with it and I had my foot in early, how could I not be set? It's my problem because as it turns out the business side is more important than the weed over here. How often do we hear, 'dispensary weed is shit, homegrown is where it's at' but the dispensaries aren't going anywhere, are they? The businesses may come and go but the licenses never disappear and they'll always be held by someone. I should have got an MBA or something when I was 24 if I wanted to be over the top successful. The black market converts are successful because they brought a lot of capitol to the table and they found the right business partners. And nepotism does exist, it does help to know someone from time to time.

But honestly, I'm with you again, I just like plants. I'd rather grow and work my fingers to the bone. Not necessarily for no money but if all I had to do was tend a garden and the bills were paid, you'd get no argument from me.

As for an influx of degrees or people going to university for this thing, I wouldn't know and the kind of jobs we're offering would be beneath them. At my company in particular we have a process and we hire to have people follow it. The more educated or experienced people just push back on the process. I would like to use my experience and the courses to get in with a company that will let me set the process again. That probably won't be in Colorado.

I've worked on two separate marijuana grows on the west and east coast. Both were run by alcoholoc egomaniac, non cannabis consumers who knew nothing about agriculture and weren't worried about learning the science behind anything. They already knew how to grow from reading on the internet and just needed people to do what they said. I've been told more times than once that my degree in soil science and minor in hydrology is a detriment to a start up cannabis operation and in fact they just need people with construction experience to do what they say without question.

I've watched two different large scale cannabis operations basically fail. One didn't generate a dollar of revenue in the first two years. Disgustingly mismanaged and for some reason no one wants to be told they're doing something wrong when they're growing weed even if they've never grown ANYTHING before in their life.

It is no coincidence that big money is rolling in and quality is going down. All the smart people have real jobs not in the cannabis field. I feel like all the people starting these operations have been discarded by their respective industries and are in cannabis as a peacocking strategy. I am probably going to leave cannabis/agriculture for anything but personal usage and be done with it. Cannabis is the only industry I've seen where psuedoscience reigns king. I'm over it, is rather get paid to go camping.

Arnold.

I've not frequented this thread this summer since it was/is a busy season.

Unfortunately a drought like never seen before kinda messed up the fertilization plans of my guerilla patches . I did lab tests, calculated the needed input, gave it all as a top feed beginning of May. But then the weather decided to skip the rain for around 10 weeks. So my top dress did not have the chance to make the changes I wanted to see till July.
The real test for those amended beds will thus be next year. That aside, the plants that did not suffer from the drought were super healthy and made thick full stems and branches.

For my first indoor peat mix I made the mistake of adding too much N in the form of bonemeal. I ran it anyways, but without feed. Plants were happier than ever before. I did already recycle that soil 3 times without any additions and now I have to start to feed them a bit.

I wanted to mix a new soil, but this is giving me some headaches. I was hoping someone here could crack the puzzle that this mix is giving me. Something very strange is happening: the pH of the mix keeps at around 5.1-5.3, regardless of how many CaCO3 I put into it.

This is what I did:
Base mix = 300l Latvian peat (moist volume) + 60l leafmold + 1800g Maerl (34% CaCO3)

The peat I used here, was from a different brand of the first mix I made which is not giving me trouble. The pic at the end of this message gives the bag that I'm using. The leafmold came from the same batch.

total inputs:
DFEOj1n.png

My process:
1. Mix the dry peat and moist leafmold, after that add the calcium 'dissolved' in groundwater. Mix thoroughly.
2. let sit for 2 weeks
3. Mix all the other fertilizers in groundwater and add that to the basemix. Mix thoroughly.

This mix gives a 5.1pH. Which is weird because 1l peat alone (from the exact same bag) + 5g Mearl gives 6.2 pH.
Now, when trying to resolve this I started by adding 3g Maerl mixed into tapwater to 1l mix, without any pH effect.
I did the exact same thing with 30g Maerl for 1l mix (let it cook 6 days at room temperature) , but this only bumps it to 5.25 pH.

I did calibrate my pH meter, I did a control measurement with litmus paper, but still same findings.

I'm clueless.

Any suggestions?

O0HRqJJ.png

Last edited:

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
Veteran
Mix #1: How did you add too much N with bone meal? I wouldn't see that as a concern, I bet your phosphorous was fantastic.

Mix #2: Liming alone takes some time. Maerl isn't just calcium, you get trace minerals and insoluble carbs. Can't be certain but you may also have some potassium in there. Depending on your source your CaCo3 can be manufactured by precipitation, which is another key difference between the two. The purity factor will make your pH adjustments more linear but the Maerl can be more volatile.

If you limed first and then added Maerl, you'll be fighting that buffer for a minute, is my guess. Have you tried adding them in the opposite order? Maybe plant a little cover crop in there to expend H+ until it's where you want it.

Arnold.

Thanks for the answer gospel,

On the over-abundance of N: I'm growing plants that are light N feeders, I'm giving them only 1 to 2 weeks veg. And I already had 60ppm of N from the leafmold, then I added 120ppm with bonemeal.
This was way over my target of 60ppm, I did have dark green leafs, but other problems stayed away fortunately.

Mix 2:
I do lime with Maerl, it is my only real calcium source, I don't count on the Ca from bonemeal and TSP. So when I said calcium, I meant Maerl.

I can see your point of the lag in effect, but the weird thing is that the 1l peat + 5g Maerl gave me a good reading after a week if I'm not mistaken.

Plus, I mixed the base (normally with enough Maerl) two months ago.

One other thing I did different than the first mix was that I did not use a microbial inoculatant (EM1).

Should I add an acid to my Maerl to chelate it before mixing?

led05

Chasing The Present
I've not frequented this thread this summer since it was/is a busy season.

Unfortunately a drought like never seen before kinda messed up the fertilization plans of my guerilla patches . I did lab tests, calculated the needed input, gave it all as a top feed beginning of May. But then the weather decided to skip the rain for around 10 weeks. So my top dress did not have the chance to make the changes I wanted to see till July.
The real test for those amended beds will thus be next year. That aside, the plants that did not suffer from the drought were super healthy and made thick full stems and branches.

For my first indoor peat mix I made the mistake of adding too much N in the form of bonemeal. I ran it anyways, but without feed. Plants were happier than ever before. I did already recycle that soil 3 times without any additions and now I have to start to feed them a bit.

I wanted to mix a new soil, but this is giving me some headaches. I was hoping someone here could crack the puzzle that this mix is giving me. Something very strange is happening: the pH of the mix keeps at around 5.1-5.3, regardless of how many CaCO3 I put into it.

This is what I did:
Base mix = 300l Latvian peat (moist volume) + 60l leafmold + 1800g Maerl (34% CaCO3)

The peat I used here, was from a different brand of the first mix I made which is not giving me trouble. The pic at the end of this message gives the bag that I'm using. The leafmold came from the same batch.

total inputs:
View Image

My process:
1. Mix the dry peat and moist leafmold, after that add the calcium 'dissolved' in groundwater. Mix thoroughly.
2. let sit for 2 weeks
3. Mix all the other fertilizers in groundwater and add that to the basemix. Mix thoroughly.

This mix gives a 5.1pH. Which is weird because 1l peat alone (from the exact same bag) + 5g Mearl gives 6.2 pH.
Now, when I trying to resolve this I started by adding 3g Maerl mixed into tapwater to 1l mix, without any pH effect.
I did the exact same thing with 30g Maerl for 1l mix (let it cook 6 days at room temperature) , but this only bumps it to 5.25 pH.

I did calibrate my pH meter, I did a control measurement with litmus paper, but still same findings.

I'm clueless.

Any suggestions?

View Image

you're 6.2PH is your anomaly, something was different you're missing. How reliable is that tap water there, always the same TDS, PH? Lot of people lime in the fall for spring, depending on quality of CaC03 and source the time it gets used / effective can be a while . Very hard to mix dry peat properly without a wetting agent, did you use one? Pure Peat behaves odd due to its porous and hydraulic properties and don't forget the type and % content of organic material there and how far broken down or not....

and here's to getting off post 666.... cheers buddy

Arnold.

Thanks for getting me to think different Led.

I'll check the water, I'll redo the peat +5g, I'l inspect both peat inputs used.

What wetting agent are you thinking about?
I got some fermented aloe. Or just a few drops of 'natural' soap?

led05

Chasing The Present
Thanks for getting me to think different Led.

I'll check the water, I'll redo the peat +5g, I'l inspect both peat inputs used.

What wetting agent are you thinking about?
I got some fermented aloe. Or just a few drops of 'natural' soap?

I’m not sure exactly what’s used. Just know when I wet promix it’s easy, when trying to do pure peat without the wetting agent ( I’m sure it’s standard I just don’t know from memory) promix uses, royal pain in the ass. I’ve had plenty of dry peat spots in the GH with soaked ones right next to it after dumping and floating peat in water, dry spots still everywhere...Dry peat can be a cluster unless you’re tilling it into something, then easy. Pure peat also kicks out odd results I’ve found but I’m not smart enough to explain fully why.

Arnold.

Then you might just have cracked my case:

- first peat input had a wetting agent
- second didn't

from the looks of the bags and where I bought them, that could indeed be the case. First one said: ready to use, came in 100l bags in a standard garden centrum. Second bale was more pressed and 300l, came from a more agricultural oriented store.
I'll inspect it.

growingcrazy

My thoughts are that the TSP is dropping your pH. Good to see you around Arnold!

EDIT: Yucca extract is the general wetting agent of choice.